(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,311 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 hours ago by caldwert
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,311 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 47.
#1151 2 years ago

Oh I do see some larger holes. However they just have g I lights in them. If I fix them to have flashers will that fix it?

D4CC4BF0-516D-4072-8F31-89B2705013FD (resized).jpegD4CC4BF0-516D-4072-8F31-89B2705013FD (resized).jpeg
#1152 2 years ago
Quoted from Gamemodder:

Oh I do see some larger holes. However they just have g I lights in them. If I fix them to have flashers will that fix it?
[quoted image]

They don't use "flashers" they use blinker bulbs. They are plug and play and work in any socket. The bulb itself turns on and off. Run about $1 each. https://www.cometpinball.com/products/455-blinking-bulbs

#1153 2 years ago

Oh ok. Thank you so much!

#1154 2 years ago

455's go in those bigger holes. they are blinker bulbs ,not flashers.My bad.

#1155 2 years ago

Quick multi ball will occasionally end ball then start next player all while the original ball is still in play. This only happens when quick multi ball is active. Also only happens maybe 1 out of 15 shots. I'm thinking it's a glitch in the programming but looking forward to hearing from you guys.

#1156 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinologist:

Quick multi ball will occasionally end ball then start next player all while the original ball is still in play. This only happens when quick multi ball is active. Also only happens maybe 1 out of 15 shots. I'm thinking it's a glitch in the programming but looking forward to hearing from you guys.

My guess would be a sticky switch in the trough. Never happens in normal multiball?

#1157 2 years ago

No, never happens during a normal multiball. Another thing, the logic must know a ball is still in play because it doesn't spit one out into the shooter lane. Still tallies score though. Very odd. I have ran switch tests also, no issues at all.

#1158 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinologist:

Hi. Get the same, not very often, i think its a glitch also. Seems to happen if you get quick multi ball reward from the bottom ball popper and you get the ball in the lock eject hole straight away.

#1159 2 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that! I won't have to let it drive me nuts trying to figure out a fix.

#1160 2 years ago

Hi all, I picked up a cabinet last week in great shape. It has LEDs, a mylar playfield protector, and everything works.

The skill shot from the plunger seems off at "full power" it barely makes 100k and only occasionally overshoots into the ramp down. It looks like the plunger is centered on the ball. I ordered a bunch of spare parts (plunger rod, tip, various springs, etc.). What should I try to get a stronger shot?

#1161 2 years ago
Quoted from Jorb:

Hi all, I picked up a cabinet last week in great shape. It has LEDs, a mylar playfield protector, and everything works.
The skill shot from the plunger seems off at "full power" it barely makes 100k and only occasionally overshoots into the ramp down. It looks like the plunger is centered on the ball. I ordered a bunch of spare parts (plunger rod, tip, various springs, etc.). What should I try to get a stronger shot?

Jorb,

If this is my old cabinet (if it was next to a ST:TNG) when you picked it up and you found it on facebook, I had gone to great lengths to get the ball to go up the spiral ramp. When I first got it, it only went up to the first hole consistently. When I passed it on it made it down the left ramp about 25% of the time and to the 100k ramp 75% of the time when on full blast. Instead of holding it all the way back and then letting go, try to quickly release the spring and it will shoot farther.

Prior to your acquisition, I replaced the factory coil spring (or whatever was in it) with a stonger "blue" spring. You are welcome to try something different but I already went down that path. I also found that by periodically waxing the launch ramp, it helped. With that said, when I say "periodically wax" I mean every 100 plays or so, and it had a fresh coat of wax when you got it so thats not going to help.

Also, FYSA, that is not a mylar playfield protector, but a PET-G aftermarket playfield protector like this one https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/vG_cwRCIq0mNQCDadcyQTg?catgoryid=22&name=Earthshaker%20%7C%201989%20%7C%20Playfield%20Protector

Every Earthshaker came with factory "Mylar". It was removed on the machine you have before the inserts were re-done.

Hope you are having a blast!

#1162 2 years ago
Quoted from Jorb:

I had the same issue with my ES but it turned out there was a crack in the 25k hole that was tripping the ball up. Patched it and it had no issues afterward.

If that’s the case for you try following this guide to fix it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-solvent-to-repair-pinball-ramps-and-plasticsend-of-story

#1163 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Jorb,
If this is my old cabinet (if it was next to a ST:TNG) when you picked it up and you found it on facebook, I had gone to great lengths to get the ball to go up the spiral ramp. When I first got it, it only went up to the first hole consistently. When I passed it on it made it down the left ramp about 25% of the time and to the 100k ramp 75% of the time when on full blast. Instead of holding it all the way back and then letting go, try to quickly release the spring and it will shoot farther.
Prior to your acquisition, I replaced the factory coil spring (or whatever was in it) with a stonger "blue" spring. You are welcome to try something different but I already went down that path. I also found that by periodically waxing the launch ramp, it helped. With that said, when I say "periodically wax" I mean every 100 plays or so, and it had a fresh coat of wax when you got it so thats not going to help.
Also, FYSA, that is not a mylar playfield protector, but a PET-G aftermarket playfield protector like this one https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/vG_cwRCIq0mNQCDadcyQTg?catgoryid=22&name=Earthshaker%20%7C%201989%20%7C%20Playfield%20Protector
Every Earthshaker came with factory "Mylar". It was removed on the machine you have before the inserts were re-done.
Hope you are having a blast!

Thanks! It's not going into the left ramp at all. I've leveled the cabinet worth no luck. I'll tinker with it.

#1164 2 years ago

I have a red spring in mine, which I believe is the highest tension from what I read elsewhere. I had trouble with weak plunges for a bit, but it was because the shooter tip was off center which you said you already checked. I recentered it and it blasts around to the left flipper like a rocket now.

#1165 2 years ago

I changed to a purple spring. I replaced the plunger rod and tip too since they were cheap. It definitely made a difference.

#1166 2 years ago
Quoted from Jorb:

I changed to a purple spring. I replaced the plunger rod and tip too since they were cheap. It definitely made a difference.

Yay! I never got it better than it was when you picked it up. Welcome to the world of dialing in pinball machines!

#1167 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yay! I never got it better than it was when you picked it up. Welcome to the world of dialing in pinball machines!

Everything else on this machine is great. Hopefully I won't need to tinker much with it.

#1168 2 years ago

The Pop Bumper lights on my Earthshaker are not lighting up during the attract mode. They light fine during game play and when using the test menu, but not in attract mode. Is this due to a setting or possibly the rom version? Any suggestions on how to get them working in attract mode would be appreciated.

#1169 2 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

The Pop Bumper lights on my Earthshaker are not lighting up during the attract mode. They light fine during game play and when using the test menu, but not in attract mode. Is this due to a setting or possibly the rom version? Any suggestions on how to get them working in attract mode would be appreciated.

The don't come on until a game is started. I kinda wish the would stay lit also.

#1170 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinologist:

The don't come on until a game is started. I kinda wish the would stay lit also

I played another Earthshaker at Flipout in London and the Pop Bumpers were lighting in attract mode, so I know there is a way of doing it. Just don't know if it's a menu option or a different Rom version?

#1171 2 years ago

Just watched a number of different Earthshaker machines in youtube videos and none of them had the pop lamps on in attract mode.

#1172 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Just watched a number of different Earthshaker machines in youtube videos and none of them had the pop lamps on in attract mode.

I did a short video of the Earthshaker at Flipout, showing the Pop Bumpers lighting in attract mode.

#1173 2 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

I did a short video of the Earthshaker at Flipout, showing the Pop Bumpers lighting in attract mode.

I did just come across one youtube attract mode video that slowly flashes them red-yellow-blue-yellow-red-yellow-blue-etc. for a few seconds and then they went dark again. Flashing starts at 6:15

#1174 2 years ago

What LED lights did you use in your ES? My F-14 Tomcat has has Comet Opmax but i used colored lights for it. Im wanting to use cool white lights for the top of the playfield and those i thing would be too bright.

#1175 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I did just come across one youtube attract mode video that slowly flashes them red-yellow-blue-yellow-red-yellow-blue-etc. for a few seconds and then they went dark again. Flashing starts at 6:15

I think this game is running some custom rom as the attract mode is not factory at all. The stock rom attract mode is very simple with each group of lamps running a simple sweep then the whole pf does a flicker sweep bottom to top and then back to the grouped sweeps. Iv never seen the pops included in the attract mode the coder just left them out for some reason I guess.

#1176 2 years ago

Does anyone have any more info on the roms that enable the pop bumper lights in attract mode?

#1177 2 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

Does anyone have any more info on the roms that enable the pop bumper lights in attract mode?

The earlier versions had different attract modes which is why you are seeing differences. The lamp show got more sophisticated in what it was turning on/off in later revisions, and likely it just slipped through the revision cracks.

Added over 3 years ago:

Ignore the yellow pop, it's out. Need to track that down....

1 week later
#1178 2 years ago

My Earthshaker still has the original production ROM - anyone know of the differences between L-1 and L-3? If the original is running fine, should I just leave it?

#1179 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

If the original is running fine, should I just leave it?

I’m a big fan of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” They didn’t keep changelogs back in the system 11 days, but as I understand it, most of the changes in revisions are either foreign language/coin pricing corrections or other unnoticeable things.

If it makes you feel better, I’m still running proto roms in my Taxi, and I cannot tell any game differences between that and my friend’s newer revision roms in his Taxi.

#1180 2 years ago

Thanks, I'll save my $20.

#1181 2 years ago

I'm having issues with fault #6 on my machine. It doesn't always register as hit on an orbit. Also, if the ball goes into the orbit shortly it may hang on the switch and get stuck. Has anyone encountered similar issues?

I'm willing to take it all apart but would like some ideas first. If I go the route of taking it apart I'll likely buy as many parts as possible for that area hoping for a quick fix.

Unrelated, what tool should I use for pulling the ROM chips off the PCB? Just a normal chip puller?

#1182 2 years ago
Quoted from Jorb:

Unrelated, what tool should I use for pulling the ROM chips off the PCB? Just a normal chip puller?

I like to just go back and forth on each end with a small flathead, you end up having to pull way too hard with a chip puller for my liking most of the time.

#1183 2 years ago
Quoted from Jorb:

I'm having issues with fault #6 on my machine. It doesn't always register as hit on an orbit. Also, if the ball goes into the orbit shortly it may hang on the switch and get stuck. Has anyone encountered similar issues?
I'm willing to take it all apart but would like some ideas first. If I go the route of taking it apart I'll likely buy as many parts as possible for that area hoping for a quick fix.

I just fixed this last night. I found that the gate came off on the side that the switch arm hangs on. The arm also came off of the gate. It wasn’t obvious that the gate came out when looking at it.

#1184 2 years ago
Quoted from marc2000gt:

I just fixed this last night. I found that the gate came off on the side that the switch arm hangs on. The arm also came off of the gate. It wasn’t obvious that the gate came out when looking at it.

What does the gate hang on? Do I need to disassemble to reattach?

1 week later
#1185 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinologist:

I'm having a strange issue related to Quick Multiball too. Sometimes, but not always, when QMB is hit, the shaker motor will lock on and the game freezes up.
I have not noticed it doing this under any other circumstance. Any ideas where to start looking? I've been thinking about getting the competition ROM, so maybe that's where I start.

#1186 2 years ago

I picked up an Earthshaker with a trashed playfield. If anyone has a decent or good playfield they want to sell, please message me. If it can be touched up to make it nice, I’m definitely interested.

Maybe you got one of the repos and your old one is not being used. Help me bring mine back and get some money back for yours!

1 week later
#1187 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm working on my Earthshaker rebuild and it's finally moving again, I've been taking my time, look over at restorations to see the work. I have almost everything (first layer) on the playfield, but have 3 holes I need some help with.
It looks like there are some types of posts that should be supporting the ramps (see pictures 1 & 3) . I didn't have them on my machine when I took them apart, at least I don't think I did. My ramps are a little chewed up so I'm going to use Cliffy's to fix / hide those areas.
I've found a couple of pictures from others, but not real clear on what should be there. If you can help identify that would be great.
Also, in picture 2, there is a hole that I cannot find anything that should go there. In my old playfield, it looks unused as well, but wanted to be sure.
For additional reference:
Image 1 shows the predrilled hole for (something) where the scenic earthquake ramp goes.
Image 2 is showing the top left area of the playfield.
Image 3 is shows the predrilled hole for (something) where the fault ramp goes.

I'm thinking that since I didn't have anything there I may have to order some parts.

20210801_094901 (resized).jpg20210801_094901 (resized).jpga20210801_094914 (resized).jpga20210801_094914 (resized).jpga20210801_094906 (resized).jpga20210801_094906 (resized).jpg
#1188 2 years ago

1 looks like it’s for ramp flap
2 on my game I can’t tell, I think nothing
3 is nothing.

#1189 2 years ago

I’m tearing mine down right now. 2 and 3 appear to have nothing. 1 has a post there.

3EEBFF59-06AA-4D2A-AA6A-364CE07CEA6A (resized).jpeg3EEBFF59-06AA-4D2A-AA6A-364CE07CEA6A (resized).jpeg5FAC2316-6968-4A04-B0F4-0BD865AD8C6A (resized).jpeg5FAC2316-6968-4A04-B0F4-0BD865AD8C6A (resized).jpegF9E61B23-5DD9-446F-B0F9-190CF5E6419E (resized).jpegF9E61B23-5DD9-446F-B0F9-190CF5E6419E (resized).jpeg
#1190 2 years ago

#1 is under my ramp. If there is a post as you posted I’d put it back.

#1191 2 years ago

My #1 has a post there also, it ends up under the ramp curled edge on right. Identical to your old setup. Has screw on top like yours. Doesn’t look like it does anything, just a screw in top. It does clear the repro ramps as they are thicker. #1 is probably just a wood screw to hold it down with a threaded top. I can’t recall since my swap was 2 yrs ago. John

#1192 2 years ago

Here's what I had on mine during teardown. #2 looks like it was dimpled but nothing was ever screwed there.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#1193 2 years ago

Would you guys say that's a metal post, a screw with the same plastic spacer that's all over or something with a rubber sleeve?

#1194 2 years ago

My fault ramp stays open about half the time so it's not totally broken but obviously needs adjusting. What exactly do I need to adjust or replace? There's a few moving parts on that mech.

#1195 2 years ago

Anyone have a clean copy of this ring map? I don't see it in the owners guide or the blue parts manual.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1196 2 years ago

I pulled my playfied to make some adjustments. When pulling everything back in I spotted this loose wire. Any idea where it's supposed to go?

IMG_20210808_132006771 (resized).jpgIMG_20210808_132006771 (resized).jpg
#1197 2 years ago
Quoted from Photopin:

I pulled my playfied to make some adjustments. When pulling everything back in I spotted this loose wire. Any idea where it's supposed to go?
[quoted image]

I wish I could help by trying to unhacked one myself. I’m looking for some pics of the interconnect board J7 and J9. Hopefully someone will post some pics for both us.

03959A17-3D97-4169-B679-644D85D48CE4 (resized).jpeg03959A17-3D97-4169-B679-644D85D48CE4 (resized).jpeg0DB78154-ED6E-4ED4-B023-51DF856D498F (resized).jpeg0DB78154-ED6E-4ED4-B023-51DF856D498F (resized).jpeg53DFB4BA-4318-4DD2-98B1-15932AB116A4 (resized).jpeg53DFB4BA-4318-4DD2-98B1-15932AB116A4 (resized).jpeg
#1198 2 years ago
Quoted from Photopin:

[quoted image]

If I was a betting person, I'd bet somewhere on this connector with no wires on it.

missing wire (resized).pngmissing wire (resized).png
#1199 2 years ago
20210808_142941 (resized).jpg20210808_142941 (resized).jpg
#1200 2 years ago

Is that good enough?

5FE7E3C2-3798-42A3-B3DE-AE1C670827FF (resized).jpeg5FE7E3C2-3798-42A3-B3DE-AE1C670827FF (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 2,311 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.