(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,309 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 hours ago by caldwert
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,309 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 47.
#1101 3 years ago

Lol. No surprise there. It never is. Too bad you got nailed on such a good game.

I'd pull the boards and check the solder joints. If all is okay you might have RAM or permanent storage issues. Wouldn't hurt to put in a fresh set of batteries too.

#1102 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Lol. No surprise there. It never is. Too bad you got nailed on such a good game.
I'd pull the boards and check the solder joints. If all is okay you might have RAM or permanent storage issues. Wouldn't hurt to put in a fresh set of batteries too.

I will take a look and see if i find anything. No batteries on the board uses nvram.

#1103 3 years ago

Anyone have the Earthshaker CPR plastics? I'm just curious if your reproductions look fuzzy compared to the originals, or I got a bad print. I got these recently, the top plastic is the original, the bottom is the reproduction.

earthshaker plastics (resized).jpgearthshaker plastics (resized).jpg

#1104 3 years ago

I have a set fresh out of the box. Protective plastic still in place.

20210122_094618 (resized).jpg20210122_094618 (resized).jpg
#1105 3 years ago

Thank you. I spoke with Kevin at CPR, he said that's just the nature of direct digital prints. I got lumped in with the playfield CSI ultra zoom crowd, but in all honestly it looks off from several feet away and I thought I was having eye issues because of how fuzzy it looks. Guess I'm just sensitive to it.

#1106 3 years ago

Hey all, just curious what everyone's opinion is on the built-in diagnostics with system11, and of course Earthshakers.

I've written test ROMs for Williams system 3 through 7 (https://pincoder.ca). I picked up a working Earthshakers a few months ago but have not had time to go through the diagnostics and see what, if anything, they lack.

So before I tackle writing new diagnostics for system 11 I thought I would see what things you DO like, and what areas you think they lack or could have done better.

Thanks for you feedback

#1107 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Hey all, just curious what everyone's opinion is on the built-in diagnostics with system11, and of course Earthshakers.
I've written test ROMs for Williams system 3 through 7 (https://pincoder.ca). I picked up a working Earthshakers a few months ago but have not had time to go through the diagnostics and see what, if anything, they lack.
So before I tackle writing new diagnostics for system 11 I thought I would see what things you DO like, and what areas you think they lack or could have done better.
Thanks for you feedback

If you're talking about diagnostics for repair/getting dead games back up, the built in stuff is not as comprehensive as what you did with the earlier games, so that set of chips could be modified.

#1108 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If you're talking about diagnostics for repair/getting dead games back up, the built in stuff is not as comprehensive as what you did with the earlier games, so that set of chips could be modified.

Thanks @slochar! That's good to hear (I love writing these tests).

I had deleted the post you responded to, as I was going to post the question in a new thread.. which I'll still do. Just got sidetracked.

I'm hoping that I wrote the Pincoder ROMs in such a way that they'll port easily to other hardware. 3-6 was nice because nothing really changed in those systems. 6a was easy once I had 7 done. Was hoping to do 9 before 11 but Earthshakers came across my path first.

#1109 3 years ago

Alright, another question. I can't seem to make a full shot through the spiral ramp. I ordered a red spring from Marcos, and still can't make it all the way through. Anyone else have this issue or use an alternative shooter spring?

#1110 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Alright, another question. I can't seem to make a full shot through the spiral ramp. I ordered a red spring from Marcos, and still can't make it all the way through. Anyone else have this issue or use an alternative shooter spring?

I’m not using a red spring (can’t remember what is in it) and can make it all the way through about one time in 20 on a full pull. Make sure your shooter rod is lined up with the ball.

#1111 3 years ago

roffels Check the left/right level of your machine in the front and rear. My playfield was hard to put back and i could only make it to the 50k hole, which ended up being the symptoms of the machine not being level in such a way the was tweaking the cabinet. Now I can shoot well past the spiral even with the original spring.

#1112 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

I’m not using a red spring (can’t remember what is in it) and can make it all the way through about one time in 20 on a full pull. Make sure your shooter rod is lined up with the ball.

Thanks - that's where I was at with my previous spring. I'll check alignment and will check my levels 8bitrobo and update my post if I get it figured out.

#1113 3 years ago

I took apart the shooter housing and replaced the sleeve. That helped me realize the shooter rod is slightly bent. Guess I need to put in another parts order.

1 week later
#1114 3 years ago

Maybe not the appropriate place to ask, but has anyone here installed the Starship Fantasy right repro ramp?

I've heard people needing to dremel the ramp to get it fit right, can you share what that entails? I assume just grinding away at the side of the ramps near the entrance? Bottom too?

I've never used a dremel tool before, and don't want to mess up my new shiny ramp. Thank you!

#1115 3 years ago

I got repo ramps from Marco's years ago when I rebuilt my ES.... I guess they might be Starship stuff... and they fit, but only after some work. The plastic is much thicker so they should last longer.

The right side ramp wasn't even close to being flush to the playfield. First photo is after I had already started to rework it.
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

I just used a bastard and worked away at the lower lip there to thin it out.
2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

This is where I left it, works fine, can't really tell in person and there isn't any ball hop issue to speak of.
3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

The center/left ramp would not fit over the left pop bumper, so I had to grind down the cap.
4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

And once the ramp is in place you can't tell.
5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

As I recall, I also think the screw holes at the entry points of the ramps were not counter sunk, so I had to take care of that so the screw heads would be flush.

If I were to do it again, instead of filing on the right ramp, I would of used a router and cut into the playfield a small pocket for the ramp rest.

I also rebuild an Whirlwind and kind of ran into the same type of issues, replacement ramps fit, but only after some work. Take your time, think about what the issue is and when you are done they look great.

#1116 3 years ago

Thank you Pencilneck! I definitely would not have attempted to cut that pop bumper without your suggestion.

I'm slowly getting this put back together. It's been more trouble that I expected, with the metal ramp protector/ball stop on the left ramp not lining up, and both main and right ramp's not lining up with the various mounts. I'm crossing my fingers it plays ok once it's all back together.

Here's an odd one too - the right ramp's decal is about an inch shorter than what I had installed, with the part number cut off. I figured I just had a poorly cut decal, but on Marcos site, their replacement looks the same. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1485-568-4

20210207_153641 (1) (resized).jpg20210207_153641 (1) (resized).jpg20210207_201727 (resized).jpg20210207_201727 (resized).jpg
#1117 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Here's an odd one too - the right ramp's decal is about an inch shorter than what I had installed, with the part number cut off.

At least it's an area you don't really notice.

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Thank you Pencilneck! I definitely would not have attempted to cut that pop bumper without your suggestion.
I'm slowly getting this put back together. It's been more trouble that I expected, with the metal ramp protector/ball stop on the left ramp not lining up, and both main and right ramp's not lining up with the various mounts. I'm crossing my fingers it plays ok once it's all back together.
Here's an odd one too - the right ramp's decal is about an inch shorter than what I had installed, with the part number cut off. I figured I just had a poorly cut decal, but on Marcos site, their replacement looks the same. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1485-568-4
[quoted image][quoted image]

My ramps from Starship Fantasy also have a decal like your replacement. Like slochar said...it's in a area you can't see.

#1119 3 years ago

I was having an awesome game, at least for me on earthshaker, and during the game play all the lights went out and the display showed factory reset. turning the game off and of course lost all of my high scores and settings. Turned back on and played and it froze again, it didn't factory reset. I turned it off and then back on and have had not issues since then. I am thinking something with the reset area on the board or the varistor on the power cable coming in. Any suggestions or has others had that issue with system 11?

#1120 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I'm slowly getting this put back together. It's been more trouble that I expected, with the metal ramp protector/ball stop on the left ramp not lining up

You have to work with the aftermarket ramps, they don't just bolt right up... flex or bend things to get them bolted down. I had the same kind of "issues" when I did my WW and I expect the same when I get around to Funhouse.

2 weeks later
#1121 3 years ago

I have just joined the club and am waiting for this refurbished Earthshaker to arrive
IMG_1777.JPG (resized).jpgIMG_1777.JPG (resized).jpg

#1122 3 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

I have just joined the club and am waiting for this refurbished Earthshaker to arrive
[quoted image]

Looks good so far! Have you got a pic of the backglass?

1 week later
#1123 3 years ago

Hi all
I am making spinner decals for Earthshaker. Price is $2.50 shipped in the US for the pair. Let me know if interested.

IMG_0013 (resized).jpegIMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1124 3 years ago

The Zone 4 target on my machine is broken. This is the yellow, squared-off edges target. I've seen the round targets advertised for sale, but haven't seen any of the squared-off ones. Does someone sell it? Or is it easier to just buy a round one and trim the edges to fit?

IMG_0897 (resized).jpgIMG_0897 (resized).jpg
#1125 3 years ago
Quoted from jimlund:

The Zone 4 target on my machine is broken. This is the yellow, squared-off edges target. I've seen the round targets advertised for sale, but haven't seen any of the squared-off ones. Does someone sell it? Or is it easier to just buy a round one and trim the edges to fit?
[quoted image]

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-oblong-stand-up-targets.html

3 weeks later
#1126 3 years ago

A lady in Chicago sold me these Earthshaker backglasses. The line art is black and the rest is see through with red highlighted areas and some mirrored areas. She had them for 30 years. I assume they are test prints. Just wanted to share.

20210416_203250.jpg20210416_203250.jpg20210416_203257.jpg20210416_203257.jpg20210416_203306.jpg20210416_203306.jpg20210416_203322.jpg20210416_203322.jpg

#1127 3 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

A lady in Chicago sold me these Earthshaker backglasses. The line art is black and the rest is see through with red highlighted areas and some mirrored areas. She had them for 30 years. I assume they are test prints. Just wanted to share.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool find!

1 week later
#1128 2 years ago

That or they didn't make it the rest of the way through the screen printing process.

#1129 2 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Bitchin!

Wanna sell one? Pm me if so, I love history like this

1 week later
#1130 2 years ago

I was wondering how to describe an early production (under 200 serial) game with the original sinking building. Is there a special term for these? They are not technically prototypes since only the first 12 have the x preceding the serial and possible red boards. I was wanting to sell mine but not sure how to list it properly.

#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from KCMike:

I was wondering how to describe an early production (under 200 serial) game with the original sinking building. Is there a special term for these? They are not technically prototypes since only the first 12 have the x preceding the serial and possible red boards. I was wanting to sell mine but not sure how to list it properly.

Early production or sample.

#1132 2 years ago

just joined the club, great game, shots are fun to chain together.

having an issue where the fault line doesn't open some of the time. it tries to pop open but sometimes fails. known issue? easy fix? thanks.

#1133 2 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

having an issue where the fault line doesn't open some of the time. it tries to pop open but sometimes fails. known issue? easy fix? thanks.

The fault line mech is the problem.Pretty common

#1134 2 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

I've been trying ask Marcos to make the parts for the fault however they said there isn't enough interest. It sure would be nice if we could get some of these parts. They did make the shaft with the flat disc but my fault lever that goes of to the moving plate is worn. I saw someone welded it and recut a slit in it. I might try that.

#1135 2 years ago

So I’m doing a full tear down on mbaumle ES and want to know what eject saucer is correct? White or red. Looks like red but his came with white.

7EB266AF-2362-4E7B-B5FD-FBA63AA206BC (resized).jpeg7EB266AF-2362-4E7B-B5FD-FBA63AA206BC (resized).jpeg
#1136 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

So I’m doing a full tear down on mbaumle ES and want to know what eject saucer is correct? White or red. Looks like red but his came with white.
[quoted image]

Mine had a red one, but even it doesn't the white looks terrible.

#1137 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

[quoted image]

Mine has red. I'm sure its original.

#1138 2 years ago

We went with red. Also having a worst hole challenge that we are giving away a ball eject Cliffy. Head over and share your worst dirty hole.

EDIT: I now realize my terminology may be regretted!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-deep-fault-cleaning-amp-refresh#post-6264807

A105910D-F3EF-4595-9274-543E315319E2 (resized).jpegA105910D-F3EF-4595-9274-543E315319E2 (resized).jpeg

94C18F98-4037-4EAC-90BA-07B9707F1807 (resized).jpeg94C18F98-4037-4EAC-90BA-07B9707F1807 (resized).jpeg

Added over 3 years ago:

The Cliffy has found a new home.

#1139 2 years ago

Joined the club this week

Super clean one with not much mileage i guess.
20210513_105625 (resized).jpg20210513_105625 (resized).jpg

Look at the bottom of the backbox...like new.
20210513_105659 (resized).jpg20210513_105659 (resized).jpg

20210513_113513 (resized).jpg20210513_113513 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1140 2 years ago

Could someone please post a photo of the earthquake mech under the Playfield. It’s in the very back. Mine is acting funny and I’m curious what’s wrong. Here’s a pic of mine. Thank you!

70570EF7-6454-4F47-BAF7-FA6D048189F7 (resized).jpeg70570EF7-6454-4F47-BAF7-FA6D048189F7 (resized).jpeg
#1141 2 years ago

Hope these help

20210522_135934 (resized).jpg20210522_135934 (resized).jpg20210522_140016 (resized).jpg20210522_140016 (resized).jpg20210522_140021 (resized).jpg20210522_140021 (resized).jpg
#1142 2 years ago

If anyone has a parts playfield please let me know, I'm in search of set of the playfield rails. Thanks

Pic is not mine, if yours and you want me to remove it just let me know. Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 3.30.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 3.30.21 PM (resized).png
#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Could someone please post a photo of the earthquake mech under the Playfield. It’s in the very back. Mine is acting funny and I’m curious what’s wrong. Here’s a pic of mine. Thank you!
[quoted image]

Mine is acting up too, it tries 2 or 3 times to lock out to put a ball in the scoop but just gives up. I had it working for awhile by just fiddling with it but can the whole mech be replaced? Do they make parts for it? Maybe the switch is intermittent?

#1144 2 years ago

When my fault line mech engages, the fault line is too wide and the ball just gets stuck. Does anyone know how to adjust the fault line width? And make it more narrow? Thank you!

#1145 2 years ago

The part on the picture with the locknut should be the adjustment. Hopefully your plastic part in there isn't worn, the symptom of that is that sometimes the fault is the correct width but sometimes it 'jumps' too wide. As is wears, the jumps become more often.

The part is a cam alternator similar to this one, might even be the same one, I forget.... not listed on marco as earthshaker compat. though
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8090 - it's the part shown as one of 9, 17, 24 in the parts diagram. They don't call it out and the side view isn't great, but that part can't be worn out.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#1146 2 years ago

Hello. I noticed that all the other earthshaker machines I have seen has something flashing in the backbox but mine does not. I was wondering if mine is either missing something or it’s a mod. Here is what mine looks like

561A986F-F693-4C79-AB63-3DA8033DF599 (resized).jpeg561A986F-F693-4C79-AB63-3DA8033DF599 (resized).jpeg
#1147 2 years ago
Quoted from Gamemodder:

Hello. I noticed that all the other earthshaker machines I have seen has something flashing in the backbox but mine does not. I was wondering if mine is either missing something or it’s a mod. Here is what mine looks like
[quoted image]

They are just flasher bulbs in some spots. You can see where they go on the front by the larger holes .

#1148 2 years ago

But I don’t have any larger holes. They are all just regular g I lights

#1149 2 years ago

Mine does

42DC8CD3-93D6-4509-B874-9D6615F89B6C (resized).jpeg42DC8CD3-93D6-4509-B874-9D6615F89B6C (resized).jpeg
#1150 2 years ago

Pretty sure it’s the type of globe that blinks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
There are 2,309 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/23?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.