(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,311 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by caldwert
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,311 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 47.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Andretti:

One question I have (and am hoping someone can help me) is what does the lock mechanism look like for the backbox that holds the glass in? Mine for some reason was totally removed.

Not 100% sure about this, but on my ES, something seems to be reversed with the backbox lock, like it's unlocked in locked position (and the key can't be removed), and vice versa. I decided to just remove the mechanism, it's possible that's why yours was removed too.

#52 9 years ago

has anyone put in colored LEDs on an ES playfield? I've thought about it, but the color scheme is a little random compared to my TZ and pinbot, where it's pretty easy to do colored LEDs in a nice way. was thinking maybe just some warm white bullets from comet pinball.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

has anyone put in colored LEDs on an ES playfield? I've thought about it, but the color scheme is a little random compared to my TZ and pinbot, where it's pretty easy to do colored LEDs in a nice way. was thinking maybe just some warm white bullets from comet pinball.

Yup. Did the inserts with color matched LEDs, and cool white for gi.

#54 9 years ago

WTB an ES backglass... for player cond machine. Need not be pristine. Hoping someone who replaced theirs with a repro and kept the old one for a spare may be willing to part with it. New to forum, signed on primarily for this reason.. tried to order a repro and company now says not avail and order can't be processed

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yup. Did the inserts with color matched LEDs, and cool white for gi.

mine actually has cool whites in it, but they are ablaze from pinballlife and am thinking some nice comet domed LEDs would be better.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smdfd.htm

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

mine actually has cool whites in it, but they are ablaze from pinballlife and am thinking some nice comet domed LEDs would be better.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smdfd.htm

I just used the retros from cointaker. Very happy with them!

Post edited by dsuperbee: My ipad likes to correct!

#57 9 years ago

Any Idea why my pops wont work on mine. No one, so far, has been able to find a reason for them to not be working.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Any Idea why my pops wont work on mine. No one, so far, has been able to find a reason for them to not be working.

Need some more information please. Fuses checked and OK? Power at the coils? Transistors been tested and verified good? Switches showing up in switch test? Are they gapped properly?

#59 9 years ago

I am in! I got a hold of prototype serial number 2 that has been beaten to death and restored flawlessly.

It is now P-ROCed and will be at Expo this year for your enjoyment.

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?board=33.0

--Scott

#60 9 years ago

Fuses good, no power at coils Transistors good. The coils are just not getting power.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Fuses good, no power at coils Transistors good. The coils are just not getting power.

These are all daisy chained for power. Start checking for breaks in the wiring along the power wires. Check your manual for what color wires to look for, and the associated plugs.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Did you check the fuse under the playfield? Other than that, find out where the daisy chain of voltage stops. There could be a board problem that could affect them all, but I think you'd end up with them locked on instead of unpowered. Either way, find out where the power is first.

1 week later
#63 9 years ago

Howdy, new to the club (just picked mine up Wednesday night). Can someone post me a picture of what this area is supposed to look like, because it doesn't look right and I have already had one stuck ball here (under the black band):
WP_20140822_10_13_31_Pro.jpgWP_20140822_10_13_31_Pro.jpg

Thanks!

#64 9 years ago

Oh, and is this ball back stop supposed to put so much pressure on the plastic? Its pushing up on it and has scrapped some of the image off:
WP_20140822_10_13_39_Pro.jpgWP_20140822_10_13_39_Pro.jpg

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

because it doesn't look right and I have already had one stuck ball here

There should be two rubbers where the single black one is. Note that there are two grooves in the playfield posts there. Should be one rubber above the other to keep the balls out.

Oh, and is this ball back stop supposed to put so much pressure on the plastic?

Not quite that much. The metal stop gets bent up over time from ball impacts, but it is very tight to the plastic to begin with.

Edit: Welcome to the club. EARTHSHAKER!

Post edited by RCA1: Hello!

#66 9 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the fast response! One more question in regards to my first photo. The top slingshot post seems to high, right? The plastic should lay flat and not bend upwards. I am wondering if I need a shorter metal post or if something else is amiss.

#67 9 years ago

The top slingshot post seems to high, right?

Good question. Oddly I have that same issue and have never figured it out. I have some spacers on the tops of the shorter posts.

#68 9 years ago

Oh, and is this ball back stop supposed to put so much pressure on the plastic? Its pushing up on it and has scrapped some of the image off:

WP_20140822_10_13_39_Pro.jpg 156 KB

Mine is even - but on mine the short posts are double rubber posts so they are taller.

#69 9 years ago

Oh, and is this ball back stop supposed to put so much pressure on the plastic? Its pushing up on it and has scrapped some of the image off

The metal backstop on mine is exactly the same, it has scraped off some of the image and even bent the plastic slightly where they meet.

Quoted from btw75:

Mine is even - but on mine the short posts are double rubber posts so they are taller.

Single and double star posts on ES should be the same height, 1 1/16".

#70 9 years ago

I have been in the club for a couple years. Sinking building mod, full LED's, CPR backglass.

This winter it is getting a playfield refresh with touchup and clearcoat. It's next on my list.

#71 9 years ago

Yeah, i really should tear down my playfield and clean it. The rubber behind the drop targets need replacing and it looks like everything has to come off to get at them. I just wanna play it though lol.

#72 9 years ago

Yeah, i really should tear down my playfield and clean it. The rubber behind the drop targets need replacing and it looks like everything has to come off to get at them. I just wanna play it though lol.

Earthshaker is a BEAR to shop, especially when removing posts.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Earthshaker is a BEAR to shop, especially when removing posts.

Even harder to purchase.

#74 9 years ago

Does anyopne know of an exact list of amounts and sizes of the metal posts that go into the t-nuts??

I have several broken ones and have not kept them after dismantling thinking there was a complete list available somewhere. Little did I know......

hopeful awaiting.....

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Does anyopne know of an exact list of amounts and sizes of the metal posts that go into the t-nuts??

I haven't seen anything detailing this out yet, but will keep my eyes open.

Does anyone know if there is a specific shooter spring needed for this game? I can't seem to make it past the 50K skill shot, but all the other ramps are hittable, so I don't think its the angle of the pin. Maybe I just need a stronger spring?

#76 9 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a specific shooter spring needed for this game?

This is a good question, not just for ES but all pins. I've been working on an ES, a Pinbot, and a Simpsons, and nowhere can I find mention of which springs strengths/colors originally came in which machines. Didn't even know there were different types until I noticed my Simpsons spring was green.

#77 9 years ago

Marcos has a variety of springs and they relate the pinball to the spring when you dig into the individual product details. They just don't have a spring related to Earthshaker.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=shooter+springs

#78 9 years ago

I bought one of every color since they were so cheap. In the end I opted to go with the Red spring. It gave me enough power to make it to 100k and even over if I wasn't careful.

#79 9 years ago

I haven't seen anything detailing this out yet, but will keep my eyes open.
Does anyone know if there is a specific shooter spring needed for this game? I can't seem to make it past the 50K skill shot, but all the other ramps are hittable, so I don't think its the angle of the pin. Maybe I just need a stronger spring?

I think there has to be - My skill shot was too easy - I rarely overshot the 100k mark.

Manual shows this one.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-2

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Manual shows this one.

Ahhh, perfect. I must have overlooked it in the manual. Highest tension, that makes sense.

#81 9 years ago

Mine had the shooter rod off center and that caused the ball to bounce back and forth as it went up the shooter lane at random making the skill shot impossible to hit consistently. Some times a full plunge would go right past everything and others it would barely make 50k.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Mine had the shooter rod off center and that caused the ball to bounce back and forth as it went up the shooter lane at random making the skill shot impossible to hit consistently. Some times a full plunge would go right past everything and others it would barely make 50k.

This happened to me too. The shaker motor made the playfield scoot over to the left just a little, and it was enough to make the plunger not hit the ball squarely in the center.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I am in! I got a hold of prototype serial number 2 that has been beaten to death and restored flawlessly.

It is now P-ROCed and will be at Expo this year for your enjoyment

That is bizarre! Can't wait to play it at Expo. I don't know if I'd be willing to throw down $1300 in a PROC system to run it, but I dig it (especially the new lightning light show during start of multiball).

Is it possible to have new code, but still run the old sounds? I don't know that I'd want to not have the ability to go back to stock.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't know that I'd want to not have the ability to go back to stock.

My new code has the original code in it as well. Don't worry, I am not distributing it and should not get sued.

#85 9 years ago

Back in the club (3rd time). Got a sample playfield in a production cab (may redecal it). Does anyone have a lead on a CPR backglass? Never bought one at the time as I never thought I'd be having another!

#86 9 years ago

My PBL order comes tomorrow....yay!....I can finally start putting my ES back together. Haven't actually played a single game on it yet, I started tearing it apart as soon as I brought it home.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Back in the club (3rd time). Got a sample playfield in a production cab (may redecal it). Does anyone have a lead on a CPR backglass? Never bought one at the time as I never thought I'd be having another!

Welcome back. Just out of curiosity, what is different on your Sample playfield vs. a Production one?

#88 9 years ago

sinking building, institute windows have no transparent border, decal on left ramp goes to end of the ramp, upstand on right plastic is white not transparent. Also should be light blue cabinet (but mine is dark blue).

#89 9 years ago

Oh gotcha, I thought you meant you had chances to your actual playfield. I know on my prototype, I have a few differences in the insert text. Was just curious if some of the sample games had that as well.

#90 9 years ago

After dumping the eighty dollars on a right side ramp and assessing a bangaroo headache I used dry wall tape over the crack and finished it off by placing the new stock ramp and sticker (May be a decal.), inside the cabinet. Feel free to try this tip yourselves.

2 weeks later
#91 9 years ago

Does anyone's ES have a drop target with the DETOUR decal on it? I keep seeing this decal for sale but nowhere on mine is there a place for it, was it only on prototype games?

#92 9 years ago

I love this game and happy to be a member of this club! Only pinball machine I've ever regretted selling and bought another one. I've had two JMs, but didn't miss it really. Good game, but apparently my girlfriend's favorite, so I bought another to have for her. Addams Family was only upgraded to the Gold because of the deal I got. So, ES stands as the only true regret sell in 33 machines!

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Does anyone's ES have a drop target with the DETOUR decal on it

I am not at home, but I scanned all my photos of my last teardown and I don't see DETOUR anywhere.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

My PBL order comes tomorrow....yay!....I can finally start putting my ES back together. Haven't actually played a single game on it yet, I started tearing it apart as soon as I brought it home.

How is the rebuild coming along??
Wondering if you, by any chance, still haven't started and are able to count the different sorts of metal posts that go into the two types of T-nuts and the amount per sort.

I've had broken ones during my teardown and have thrown those away immediately. Was expecting a list somewhere with sorts and amounts...duh NOT.

2 weeks later
#96 9 years ago

Just wanted to thank Basement Arcades for making the sinking building mod available. I'm new to the pinball community, but as soon as I bought my Earthshaker, I knew I needed to have that mod.

I ordered it the first week of July (before I even had my Earthshaker delivered), and received it about mid-August. I held off installing it for a week or two since I have NO experience working on a pinball machine since I was concerned it might be over my head. After two weeks of staring at it, I broke down and figured I'd give it a shot.

What might have taken most only an hour or two to install took me much closer to four (that by no means is a shot at Basement Arcades, but a statement about my inabilities) with only two places on my body leaking blood as I finished the install. The instructions for installation were excellent and well done. My only problem ended up being the very end...where you screw the mod back into the board from underneath through a mass of wires. The first time I did it, it ended up too close to the opening and wouldn't go up or down without brushing up against the side of the hole. I took it back out and re-spaced it much better in the hole, and then re-screwed it back in. Now it works flawlessly and has made me enjoy the game even more than before.

I realize I got this at pretty much the end of the run of these...but I can't say how much I appreciate getting one. For those after me who want one....I'd just keep looking. I saw the same kit available on ebay for $12 more than I paid for mine not more than two weeks ago....so you never know.

Excellent mod!! Totally worth it.

Andretti

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from Andretti:

Just wanted to thank Basement Arcades for making the sinking building mod available. I'm new to the pinball community, but as soon as I bought my Earthshaker, I knew I needed to have that mod.
I ordered it the first week of July (before I even had my Earthshaker delivered), and received it about mid-August. I held off installing it for a week or two since I have NO experience working on a pinball machine since I was concerned it might be over my head. After two weeks of staring at it, I broke down and figured I'd give it a shot.
What might have taken most only an hour or two to install took me much closer to four (that by no means is a shot at Basement Arcades, but a statement about my inabilities) with only two places on my body leaking blood as I finished the install. The instructions for installation were excellent and well done. My only problem ended up being the very end...where you screw the mod back into the board from underneath through a mass of wires. The first time I did it, it ended up too close to the opening and wouldn't go up or down without brushing up against the side of the hole. I took it back out and re-spaced it much better in the hole, and then re-screwed it back in. Now it works flawlessly and has made me enjoy the game even more than before.
I realize I got this at pretty much the end of the run of these...but I can't say how much I appreciate getting one. For those after me who want one....I'd just keep looking. I saw the same kit available on ebay for $12 more than I paid for mine not more than two weeks ago....so you never know.
Excellent mod!! Totally worth it.
Andretti

For those who have not installed this mod yet....do yourself a favor and pull the PF. The harness that runs next to where the building goes can leave very little room for slack, and you will save yourself blood and a ton of frustration by doing it with the PF out of the game. Removing it is not that bad.

Also, if you have repro ramps, remember to notch the main ramp!

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

How is the rebuild coming along??
Wondering if you, by any chance, still haven't started and are able to count the different sorts of metal posts that go into the two types of T-nuts and the amount per sort.
I've had broken ones during my teardown and have thrown those away immediately. Was expecting a list somewhere with sorts and amounts...duh NOT.

Got everything polished/cleaned/fixed, all parts have arrived so the only thing I need to do first is polish the playfield and some minor touchup work. I ordered a Treasure Cove kit and after I try it out on my DE Simpsons first, ES is next.

When I begin reassembly I'll try to keep a list of all the posts as they go back onto the playfield.

#99 9 years ago

I am not at home, but I scanned all my photos of my last teardown and I don't see DETOUR anywhere.

Now I know why....I've seen it for sale as an Earthshaker decal but it's actually a Road Kings decal.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Now I know why....I've seen it for sale as an Earthshaker decal but it's actually a Road Kings decal.

I've seen this decal for sale as an Earthshaker part also, from multiple sellers. It was bugging me that I could not figure out where it went. Thanks for the solution. One (very minor) odd issue off the list!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,311 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.