(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,311 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by caldwert
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,311 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 47.
#851 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

I see in your GI section two different QC bulbs; one with 1 output and one with 2 outputs. Can't find them in the shop at Comet.
Can you specify for me? Or send me a link to the right item?
Almost done ordering now...pfff big list

I can’t find them now either, and scanning through my order didn’t help. But “matrix splitter” can turn one matrix output from a GI bayonet into two or three. The comet team is very responsive via e-mail.

Note two other things from my video: 1) cyan is the wrong choice for the blue row in the institute. Use blue. 2) don’t overdo it with the star post lights. If they’re close to the player and directly visible, they’re a bit much. Consider getting a couple of inline dimmers.

Last thing: I learned the hard way that the bolts that attach the star posts and other fixtures to the t-nuts under the playfield tend to bend over time, and so they can break when you unscrew them. Good to have some of these on hand. I didn’t so I improvised something at Home Depot. I’m sure Marco has ‘em.

Can’t wait to see your results!

#852 4 years ago

With comet warm white frosted leds installed

20191107_113439 (resized).jpg20191107_113439 (resized).jpg20191107_113727 (resized).jpg20191107_113727 (resized).jpg
#853 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

With comet warm white frosted leds installed[quoted image][quoted image]

Warm whites all the way... beautiful

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Warm whites all the way... beautiful

I'm seriously thinking about sunlight whites. I know the warm whites comes as close as possible to the incandescents. Still I would like a little more brightness without going all the way with the cool whites.

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

I'm seriously thinking about sunlight whites. I know the warm whites comes as close as possible to the incandescents. Still I would like a little more brightness without going all the way with the cool whites.

That might be nice. For me, if I make it too bright, The reflection of the back box on the glass becomes too much

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Here's what mine looks like, resulting in a stuck ball until the fault closes, robbing the player of the lock

I ran into this issue as well. I tweaked/adjusted things and never could get it to clear the wire guide every time... about 50% of the time the ball would get hung up there. So I just bend the wire guide out a hair and with that, problem solved.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That might be nice. For me, if I make it too bright, The reflection of the back box on the glass becomes too much

I think just the sunlights for the pf. Warm whites for the back box...

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

I ran into this issue as well. I tweaked/adjusted things and never could get it to clear the wire guide every time... about 50% of the time the ball would get hung up there. So I just bend the wire guide out a hair and with that, problem solved.

Thanks to the suggestion from jhanley I got some help from a buddy with a welder. We filled in the space, ground it flat, then dremeled in a new slot. Earthshaker fault problem fixed!
AFA7956C-5CF2-44F3-82C6-8B0E1035D205 (resized).jpegAFA7956C-5CF2-44F3-82C6-8B0E1035D205 (resized).jpeg 20C02F37-3191-4FF2-8711-4303C7D6AC78 (resized).jpeg20C02F37-3191-4FF2-8711-4303C7D6AC78 (resized).jpeg0F42594A-B38E-4381-90F9-CE6A853CDDB1 (resized).jpeg0F42594A-B38E-4381-90F9-CE6A853CDDB1 (resized).jpeg3E30A007-4EAE-44C1-BB60-26191383D493 (resized).jpeg3E30A007-4EAE-44C1-BB60-26191383D493 (resized).jpeg 794787EC-33EB-487A-825A-A4DF1D38DED5 (resized).png794787EC-33EB-487A-825A-A4DF1D38DED5 (resized).pngF4C397BD-40F3-4597-ACEA-2990713B5749 (resized).pngF4C397BD-40F3-4597-ACEA-2990713B5749 (resized).png8BA3721D-31CF-4D30-B4BE-236A73880646 (resized).jpeg8BA3721D-31CF-4D30-B4BE-236A73880646 (resized).jpeg4A835862-8D4B-4198-A499-34830B44BE49 (resized).jpeg4A835862-8D4B-4198-A499-34830B44BE49 (resized).jpeg8868A50E-CFD6-461A-9D84-7C73032A5DB0 (resized).jpeg8868A50E-CFD6-461A-9D84-7C73032A5DB0 (resized).jpeg

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Earthshaker fault problem fixed!

Wow! Congratulations! He did a great job filling the area.

#860 4 years ago

Great fix, had no idea it could get that worn!!

1 week later
#861 4 years ago

Having a hard time ordering my Sunlight bulbs from Comet. More often bulbs are sold out and I don't want to pay shipping twice by ordering in batches.
I need these 1smd bulbs for GI. Others like the 2smd are too bright or de NG versions won't fit the holes in the pf because they're slightly bigger in size.

#862 4 years ago

Any one get ball stuck here? Happened twice now lol

20191201_193338 (resized).jpg20191201_193338 (resized).jpg
#863 4 years ago

Ordered my Ultimate Led Kit at Pinball Bulbs yesterday during their Black Friday offer. Incredibly helpful and fast too. Everything was immediately available.
Great service guys...thanks a lot

And I managed helping them out with completing their custom list by adding leds #555 for the Earthquake Institute

#864 4 years ago

I have an Earthshaker playfield protector from Germany that I am not going to use as I decided to go with a playfield swap instead. Priced well to sell. Will ship within US. Pm me if interested.

#865 4 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a known issue with the Institute stopping halfway up and down?
When I cycle the game it it always goes up and down full (even if it was sitting halfway at the start) but at any given time during the game, it starts sitting at half-mast vs full up or down. other times it works just fine..

I believe this is an original institute not an aftermarket mod.

I have looked but I am not finding any information. The Optos seems to work well every time I test it.. it only happens in gameplay and seems to be a code glitch more than anything else...

Just curious if anyone has heard or seen of this?

#866 4 years ago

I have an original institute ES and the building is always up or down, never half way. As you say when you switch the machine on (from memory) it cycles through down and up.

#867 4 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I have an original institute ES and the building is always up or down, never halfway. As you say when you switch the machine on (from memory) it cycles through down and up.

Yes, mine always cycles up and down properly when turning the power on and off. but during the game, it will shift from working normally to going up or down and stopping at the halfway mode, it seems very deliberate...

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have an Earthshaker playfield protector from Germany that I am not going to use as I decided to go with a playfield swap instead. Priced well to sell. Will ship within US. Pm me if interested.

Sold.

1 week later
#869 4 years ago

New Earthshaker owner here. I love this game!

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from mountainmaninGA:

Welcome to the club... one of the simplest rulesets in my collection, yet always has that one more game feeling. Great callouts... best shaker integration ever (duh, they don’t call me captain obvious for nothing) and overall wonderful gameplay. It’s taught me how to manage multiball and use flipper staging to get that jackpot!!

#871 4 years ago

Just put my ES up for sale in the market place. Selling the house and no room to keep it Hope it can go to a good home.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from mountainmaninGA:

As per the unwritten rules of ES ownership... you are required to be asked:

1 - Do you have Whirlwind?
2 - Does the building drop?

No ES owner escapes these questions.

#873 4 years ago
Quoted from johnrezz:

Yes, mine always cycles up and down properly when turning the power on and off. but during the game, it will shift from working normally to going up or down and stopping at the halfway mode, it seems very deliberate...

Motor is going bad I believe it uses a CCW Counter Clockwise motor. If the motor is going bad it will at times reverse causing the issue you are having.

Don

#874 4 years ago

Hi all...
I have huge difficulties finding replacement parts as shown in the pic. All metal posts shown broke off their threads so I'm missing all posts circled in red. Is there someone who knows what the part numbers are and maybe even where to get 'em. Can't seem to locate a vendor.

If anyone knows or is willing to order for me with full expenses paid please shoot me a PM.

Overview PF w Support Pins (resized).jpgOverview PF w Support Pins (resized).jpg
#875 4 years ago

Posts and bases? Those posts are threaded on both sides and the bases are the same for all of them.

#876 4 years ago

Sand the bottoms of the posts where the threaded part broke off. Drill and tap, then use a matching screw up into the post. Problem solved

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Hi all...
I have huge difficulties finding replacement parts as shown in the pic. All metal posts shown broke off their threads so I'm missing all posts circled in red. Is there someone who knows what the part numbers are and maybe even where to get 'em. Can't seem to locate a vendor.
If anyone knows or is willing to order for me with full expenses paid please shoot me a PM.[quoted image]

Sometimes electronic stores have pcb standoff posts, also hardware stores have them sometimes, the bolt holes or lugs may be different sizes than the originals

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Hi all...
If anyone knows or is willing to order for me with full expenses paid please shoot me a PM.[quoted image]

I’ve probably got all of this stuff. I’ve got all the parts from two fully populated playfields.
If you can measure the posts needed, I can probably help you out.

#879 4 years ago

1. Is there a hardtop available for this machine?
2. Based off of this one photo, assuming everything you couldn't see was perfect... what would you value this machine at: $1500, $1750, or $2000?

May be joining the club soon. I am evaluating a package deal trade that includes this Earthshaker. As you can see, there is quite a bit of wear on the playfield. Assuming everything worked, it would be really great to play an Earthshaker, even in this condition for just a few months like this before moving it on. Is there a Hardtop available for this game? I couldn't find one on Google. I doubt it would be worth my time and effort to do a full playfield swap on this...

IMG_2162 (resized).jpgIMG_2162 (resized).jpg
#880 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

2. Based off of this one photo, assuming everything you couldn't see was perfect... what would you value this machine at: $1500, $1750, or $2000?
May be joining the club soon. I am evaluating a package deal trade that includes this Earthshaker. As you can see, there is quite a bit of wear on the playfield. Assuming everything worked, it would be really great to play an Earthshaker, even in this condition for just a few months like this before moving it on. Is there a Hardtop available for this game? I couldn't find one on Google. I doubt it would be worth my time and effort to do a full playfield swap on this...[quoted image]

If you plan on only keeping it for a few months then just play it. I did a playfield swap a year ago on mine simply because it's a keeper for me. The one you show looks pretty good (minus the wear spots and colored leds in the backbox) and has a blue display which is awesome. I could see you paying any of those prices too. If you can get it for anything under $2000 I think it would be a steal. I might just be biased since Earthshaker is one of my favorites.

#881 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

May be joining the club soon. I am evaluating a package deal trade that includes this Earthshaker. As you can see, there is quite a bit of wear on the playfield. Assuming everything worked, it would be really great to play an Earthshaker, even in this condition for just a few months like this before moving it on. Is there a Hardtop available for this game? I couldn't find one on Google. I doubt it would be worth my time and effort to do a full playfield swap on this...[quoted image]

I just noticed that the fault mech is open. It shouldn't be and only opens when you are about to lock a ball. It may not be working.

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I’ve probably got all of this stuff. I’ve got all the parts from two fully populated playfields.

I shot you a pm

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

If you plan on only keeping it for a few months then just play it. I did a playfield swap a year ago on mine simply because it's a keeper for me. The one you show looks pretty good (minus the wear spots and colored leds in the backbox) and has a blue display which is awesome. I could see you paying any of those prices too. If you can get it for anything under $2000 I think it would be a steal. I might just be biased since Earthshaker is one of my favorites.

Thanks! Ended up with another trade but Earthshaker is on my list!

#884 4 years ago

This is probably a System 11b generic issue but I recently lost my displays, replaced Fuse F2 on the power supply board and after an hour of play the top display started with this...note the top display.

I'm assuming this is a PS issue...

IMG_6612 (resized).JPGIMG_6612 (resized).JPGIMG_6612 2 (resized).JPGIMG_6612 2 (resized).JPG
#885 4 years ago

Reseat the display ribbon cables with the power off.

#886 4 years ago

No such luck

#887 4 years ago

Post a pic of your mpu, focusing on the battery area/above the battery.

#888 4 years ago

Also - did you reseat both ends of the ribbon cable? Try flipping the cable end for end.

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Also - did you reseat both ends of the ribbon cable? Try flipping the cable end for end.

Yeah I did, in fact I have a Taxi sitting next to it and here are photos with the corresponding Taxi ribbon cable in the same place. I think I see what y'all are getting that, the ribbon cable being out of place or bad, but cable swap didn't seem to matter and the red line is pin 1 on both connectors.

IMG_4321 (resized).JPGIMG_4321 (resized).JPGIMG_9064 (resized).JPGIMG_9064 (resized).JPG
#890 4 years ago

Joined today. Love this game

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from dustradio:

Yeah I did, in fact I have a Taxi sitting next to it and here are photos with the corresponding Taxi ribbon cable in the same place. I think I see what y'all are getting that, the ribbon cable being out of place or bad, but cable swap didn't seem to matter and the red line is pin 1 on both connectors.[quoted image][quoted image]

How about a pic of the battery area on the mpu (remove the ribbon cable)? Any battery leaks? The circuitry/traces for the displays are in the corrosion zone.

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

How about a pic of the battery area on the mpu (remove the ribbon cable)? Any battery leaks? The circuitry/traces for the displays are in the corrosion zone.

Don't think so.

IMG_7848 (resized).JPGIMG_7848 (resized).JPGIMG_9339 (resized).JPGIMG_9339 (resized).JPG
#893 4 years ago

FWIW the Taxi right next door, sharing the same wall outlet just did this:

Not sure if coincidence or what...I powered the Taxi on and off again and all was well. FWIW this behavior is new to both machines.

IMG_1698 (resized).JPGIMG_1698 (resized).JPGIMG_7224 (resized).JPGIMG_7224 (resized).JPG
#894 4 years ago

Report from today. Flipped on the machine today. Displays look great, however the background music decided to take New Years Eve off. Music test is silent, all other sound FX sound as normal. No error messages..

Any ideas?

Side note: In video games I almost always turn the background music either off or way down low. A pinball with no background music is really not as fun.

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from dustradio:

Don't think so.[quoted image][quoted image]

Here's some good advice... Replace those shit batteries immediately with some lithium or at LEAST some alkaline batteries! You may not have a battery leakage issue now, but you will eventually, if you continue to use those obsolete-20-years-ago "heavy duty" lead acid batteries!
Once you get them out of there, please dispose of/recycle them responsibly!

#896 4 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Here's some good advice... Replace those shit batteries immediately with some lithium or at LEAST some alkaline batteries! You may not have a battery leakage issue now, but you will eventually, if you continue to use those obsolete-20-years-ago "heavy duty" lead acid batteries!
Once you get them out of there, please dispose of/recycle them responsibly!

Oddly enough I made note of those batteries when I first got the machine a few months ago. I thought "Huh, didn't know GM made AA batteries". Never occurred to me that they'd be anything other than alkaline. Thanks for pointing that out!

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from dustradio:

This is probably a System 11b generic issue but I recently lost my displays, replaced Fuse F2 on the power supply board and after an hour of play the top display started with this...note the top display.
I'm assuming this is a PS issue...[quoted image][quoted image]

Hopefully this helps:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-score-diplay-issue-

And I'll dogpile on those batteries as well. Get NVRAM and never worry about batteries again.

1 week later
#898 4 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Thats exactly the problem... I don't have the sizes because I, unknowingly of their 'hard-to-find'ness, threw them out after I depopulated mine and broke of in the process.
Is there still anything You can do? Maybe send me the complete bundle of these posts. I'll then for sure have the correct sizes and in the end some spares.

PM me for details if this is a way you could/would go.

Tia

#899 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Thats exactly the problem... I don't have the sizes because I, unknowingly of their 'hard-to-find'ness, threw them out after I depopulated mine and broke of in the process.
Is there still anything You can do? Maybe send me the complete bundle of these posts. I'll then for sure have the correct sizes and in the end some spares.
PM me for details if this is a way you could/would go.
Tia

I sent you a pm 18 days ago explaining that all the posts are mixed up in a pile of probably 50 others. I don’t just have a set of Earthshaker specific posts all together. They are all mixed in with many others. I said I had the three smaller post sorted but didn’t know the sizes for the 4 at the back. I would like to and will happily help you out with what you need but I’d like to keep the spares incase I need them. That’s not unreasonable is it?

#900 4 years ago

found my old post pictures from 2003. Unfortunately I didn't hold a ruler up to the posts like I started to on later strips but maybe you can tell based on the relative sizes and known quantities which is which.

IMG_0277 (resized).JPGIMG_0277 (resized).JPGIMG_0278 (resized).JPGIMG_0278 (resized).JPGIMG_0279 (resized).JPGIMG_0279 (resized).JPGIMG_0280 (resized).JPGIMG_0280 (resized).JPGIMG_0281 (resized).JPGIMG_0281 (resized).JPGIMG_0282 (resized).JPGIMG_0282 (resized).JPGIMG_0283 (resized).JPGIMG_0283 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0285 (resized).JPGIMG_0285 (resized).JPGIMG_0286 (resized).JPGIMG_0286 (resized).JPGIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0288 (resized).JPGIMG_0288 (resized).JPGIMG_0289 (resized).JPGIMG_0289 (resized).JPGIMG_0290 (resized).JPGIMG_0290 (resized).JPGIMG_0291 (resized).JPGIMG_0291 (resized).JPGIMG_0292 (resized).JPGIMG_0292 (resized).JPGIMG_0293 (resized).JPGIMG_0293 (resized).JPGIMG_0294 (resized).JPGIMG_0294 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0296 (resized).JPGIMG_0296 (resized).JPGIMG_0297 (resized).JPGIMG_0297 (resized).JPGIMG_0298 (resized).JPGIMG_0298 (resized).JPGIMG_0299 (resized).JPGIMG_0299 (resized).JPGIMG_0300 (resized).JPGIMG_0300 (resized).JPGIMG_0301 (resized).JPGIMG_0301 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,311 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/18?hl=johnrezz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.