Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 725 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by Boof-Ed
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 238 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1547239126838_0_IMG_6927 (resized).jpg
ES opener (resized).PNG
ES actuator (resized).PNG
A66A9553-F4AD-4CFE-8A6F-C5A07C0203D8 (resized).png
EB9DCB3B-25EF-47C0-B982-4AFE23A07D7F (resized).jpeg
20181126_214425 (resized).jpg
IMG_0032 (resized).jpg
IMG_0031 (resized).jpg
14986A68-CCA8-45AF-8440-AFDAD2BC487C (resized).jpeg
14BE30D9-4282-48FD-B065-1473435213AE (resized).jpeg
783B0221-F830-4C59-BB99-ECEF9B68B5B0 (resized).jpeg
965B2A74-7DC7-439F-9441-0C1579040596 (resized).jpeg
594190EA-349B-4205-B6E6-CC2E130B7AD5 (resized).jpeg
736B1D08-E408-4809-AB05-92F8FCBE2BA8 (resized).jpeg
6F220CD5-3B97-4D37-A6DA-5B24D2016CB1 (resized).jpeg
512463B7-05F5-40D1-AB1A-A3EC9C211907 (resized).jpeg

There are 725 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 76 days ago

Anyone know the deal with the pop bumper bulbs? After seeing only one lit up at the start of each game, my manual came in the mail. So, I found a game setting (33) that allows you to set one, two or all on, or all on blink. So i set them to “all on”. Now I notice that something triggers them during gameplay to blink one at a time, but I have no idea what this is indicating.
I have also found a setting to change “rematch feature” to fast or slow, but can’t figure out what it does.... it’s not the end of game match feature, and it doesn’t change how fast bonus adds up at the end of a ball.
Thanks, ES gurus, I, enjoying 5e game so far

#702 76 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Anyone know the deal with the pop bumper bulbs? After seeing only one lit up at the start of each game, my manual came in the mail. So, I found a game setting (33) that allows you to set one, two or all on, or all on blink. So i set them to “all on”. Now I notice that something triggers them during gameplay to blink one at a time, but I have no idea what this is indicating.

In almost all Lawlor games, the pops are controlled lights, not GI. At different stages they light for bonus points, you'd want to refer to the rules section of your new manual for info on that.

#703 76 days ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

In almost all Lawlor games, the pops are controlled lights, not GI. At different stages they light for bonus points, you'd want to refer to the rules section of your new manual for info on that.

Thanks, I did find it ... Turns out by making it start with them lit, I was advancing their scoring. Each time ya make a loop shot, it progresses the pops from off, to lit, to blinking.... Each worth more points.

2 weeks later
#704 57 days ago

Pin doing what pins do... break. Display was all good, packed up pin and took to Nashville and set up... score display has 4 dead spots. Photo taken during test mode. I've traded out the ribbon cable with a known good unit, no change. Visual inspection of circuit board, no obvious issues found such as cracked solder joints or burnt spots.

Suggestions?

20181126_214425 (resized).jpg Added 55 days ago:

Fixed it, while no visual issues found were ever found, and wiggle testing didn't do anything.... I resoldered the header pins and that fixed it.

#705 55 days ago

Earthshaker was the first pin to get me hooked on pinball. I was in college and in between classes, I would often hang out at the campus food bar. One day there was a shiny new pinball machine in the corner. I had played pins before, but never enough to really understand or appreciate the rules and gameplay. Well after my first dollars worth of quarters I was hooked. I must have spent an entire semesters worth of book money. I had every high score n the machine and played every day. Such fond memories. 30 years later, I am finally ready to start looking for one. I Hope when I find one, it will be just as enjoyable as the first time I played one back in 89.

3 weeks later
#706 30 days ago

Earthshaker!!! So I just got it running again and played the heck out of it for a couple of days; however this morning I come in and realize the left holly land post snapped into two. I’ve looked at the Earthshaker manual and don’t see a posts list. Anyone know what I replace it with? Bah Humbug.

1 week later
#707 22 days ago

So thanks To my Lotr manual, I figured out my last problem. Everything worked for a few days and now my shaker motor is having issues. If I put it in test mode, I can get it to move a little bit. I measured the voltage and the voltage is pulsing. The motor moves but will stop unless someone provides a push start. I searched the forums and they all suggest to check the voltage, but I couldn’t find what it should be. How can I determine if this an electrical problem (replace board) or mechanical (replace motor)?

#708 22 days ago

Hey guys! I just joined the Earthshaker club a few days ago and I’m so happy! I am missing the ball gate right before the Zone 5 eject hole. Does anyone know where to find one? Marco shows it’s out of stock but I have a feeling it’s rarely an item that is in stock. Not a lot of demand for something like that.

Anyways, it’s part #A-12557 and I’ve attached a few pics I found online.

Thanks a lot!
Eric

A66A9553-F4AD-4CFE-8A6F-C5A07C0203D8 (resized).pngEB9DCB3B-25EF-47C0-B982-4AFE23A07D7F (resized).jpeg

#709 21 days ago

Just picked up a project ES last week for $300.00 cant wait to get it up and running! Display is shot, MPU needed to be repaired. New plastics, ramps, display ordered. Playfield is in pretty nice shape. Backglass is perfect. ES was the first pin I owned so it will be nice to get one back in the collection.
Joe

#710 21 days ago
Quoted from cyroute:

Just picked up a project ES last week for $300.00 cant wait to get it up and running! Display is shot, MPU needed to be repaired. New plastics, ramps, display ordered. Playfield is in pretty nice shape. Backglass is perfect. ES was the first pin I owned so it will be nice to get one back in the collection.
Joe

may i ask where you oredered your display from? is it a original or new led?

#711 21 days ago
Quoted from russdx:

may i ask where you oredered your display from? is it a original or new led?

russdx https://ksarcade.net/rottendog-led-display-dis240-in-four-colors.html Getting the Blue one!

#713 20 days ago

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about my machine -

- Does all of the playfield and gi lighting normally go dark when you enter the cellar?

- Does the gi switch off (with relay switch sound) during attract mode when the lights "shimmer?" And then switch back on when attract mode goes from "shimmering" to the next mode?

- I saw the instructables without written instructions for the the sinking building mod. Does anyone know of anywhere I can follow detailed steps to build one?

- The relay boards for the gi have burn on the smaller connector with the brown(?) Wire. I believe f2 and f3 are blown. Should I replace the fuses and see what happens, or give it a try with the burned connectors to see how long the fuse lasts?

- The power cable to the wall appears to have a melted spot near the power supply. I am guessing a replacement will involve opening the power supply and resodering a new cable. Anyone have a suggestion on who carries the right / best one?

Thanks in advance! I'm a novice but looking forward to learning.

#714 19 days ago

Earthshaker is a great game. I can help with a few of these questions:

- Does all of the playfield and gi lighting normally go dark when you enter the cellar? - Yes

- Does the gi switch off (with relay switch sound) during attract mode when the lights "shimmer?" - Yes

And then switch back on when attract mode goes from "shimmering" to the next mode? - Yes

- The relay boards for the gi have burn on the smaller connector with the brown(?) Wire. I believe f2 and f3 are blown. Should I replace the fuses and see what happens, or give it a try with the burned connectors to see how long the fuse lasts? - Probably be useful if you could post some pictures.

#715 18 days ago

I'm looking for two replacement parts for my zone opener assembly. The actuator and opener have worn against each other so much there is some wiggle, which allows California to separate a bit too much from Nevada. They are out of stock at Marco's and Flippers and nothing on eBay. Any ideas on where/how to get replacements?

A-12431 Actuator
02-4351 Shaft Zone Opener

ES actuator (resized).PNGES opener (resized).PNG
#716 16 days ago

I have an opportunity to buy a roached ES for 500. I cant tell if its going to be worth it. The game does boot up and start, but thats it, seller put it in storage after getting it to boot. I have done a few tear down and full PF restorations in the past and I believe I could get the PF looking new again with some work. What concerns me is the escalating cost of plastics, cab decals etc pushing this example beyond its worth.
Never owned one either so dont know how fun it will be to play.

This is the actual machine in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=vCNf08W3ovY

Thanks for any advice

#717 16 days ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

I have an opportunity to buy a roached ES for 500. I cant tell if its going to be worth it. The game does boot up and start, but thats it, seller put it in storage after getting it to boot. I have done a few tear down and full PF restorations in the past and I believe I could get the PF looking new again with some work. What concerns me is the escalating cost of plastics, cab decals etc pushing this example beyond its worth.
Thanks for any advice

well you could end up with a mint one with
new glass
new pf
new plastics
referb cab + new side art decals
new alpha display

so is getting bit pricy but would look amazing.

#718 16 days ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

Thanks for any advice

I think even with $2k in parts...youd be at 2500 for a minty ES. You'd definitely get your money back. CPR has most of the what you need. If you don't want their "flawed backglasses", I have a new bgResto one, never used I could sell at a decent price.

#719 16 days ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I think even with $2k in parts...youd be at 2500 for a minty ES. You'd definitely get your money back. CPR has most of the what you need. If you don't want their "flawed backglasses", I have a new bgResto one, never used I could sell at a decent price.

i checked cpr other day for pf and was none left :/ do they come up often?

#720 16 days ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

Thanks for any advice

Wow, that thing is rough! I'm all for bringing beater pins back to life, but I would pass.

#721 16 days ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

$2k in parts would probably get it working and playable again, but nowhere near "minty." For reference, I bought a pretty nice (not perfect) ES earlier this year for $2200 and I don't think that one could be made as good as mine with that kind of investment. They always have a lot more wrong with them than you initially see, and I see a lot already!

#722 16 days ago

I have experience restoring the PF and I think I could get this one looking new again so would not need a new PF. It does have a backglass that is decent. Its been been sprayed triple thick and only has a small amount of lifting in the corner.

The cab decals seem like they will be a must however as well as some new plastics.

My gut is leaning towards this game is worthy of being restored.. Reading thru this thread I can tell many of you really like owning this game.

#723 16 days ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

I have an opportunity to buy a roached ES for 500. I cant tell if its going to be worth it.

Quoted from GLSP3022:

I think even with $2k in parts...youd be at 2500 for a minty ES. You'd definitely get your money back.

I think you'd spend far more than $500 labor fixing the board connectors & wiring harness, replacing cabinet decals, dis-assembling, cleaning, and repopulating the playfield. Buying $2000 worth of parts would make this a money losing project.

The playfield looks like it would clean up well. I only see a couple inserts that have the decals worn off. Rottendog has a new System 11 board for $400 if you needed one but you would still have to fix the wiring harness.

I don't see you making a lot of money on this one but it's certainly not a lost cause. $500 isn't outrageous.

#724 12 days ago

Just bought an Earthshaker and realized it's missing a board. Does anyone know of any for sale? Any info would help. Thank you in advance.

1547239126838_0_IMG_6927 (resized).jpg
#725 10 days ago
Quoted from 6T9Judge:

Just bought an Earthshaker and realized it's missing a board. Does anyone know of any for sale? Any info would help. Thank you in advance.
[quoted image]

6t9judge if you have any trouble finding one locally, I’ll have a couple of them but I’m in Australia. I found two playfields that were absolutely trashed and pulled all the parts off them as spares for mine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hardware
CPR Playfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 725 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside