(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,301 posts
  • 293 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by tylery85
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,301 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 47.
#701 5 years ago

Anyone know the deal with the pop bumper bulbs? After seeing only one lit up at the start of each game, my manual came in the mail. So, I found a game setting (33) that allows you to set one, two or all on, or all on blink. So i set them to “all on”. Now I notice that something triggers them during gameplay to blink one at a time, but I have no idea what this is indicating.
I have also found a setting to change “rematch feature” to fast or slow, but can’t figure out what it does.... it’s not the end of game match feature, and it doesn’t change how fast bonus adds up at the end of a ball.
Thanks, ES gurus, I, enjoying 5e game so far

#702 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Anyone know the deal with the pop bumper bulbs? After seeing only one lit up at the start of each game, my manual came in the mail. So, I found a game setting (33) that allows you to set one, two or all on, or all on blink. So i set them to “all on”. Now I notice that something triggers them during gameplay to blink one at a time, but I have no idea what this is indicating.

In almost all Lawlor games, the pops are controlled lights, not GI. At different stages they light for bonus points, you'd want to refer to the rules section of your new manual for info on that.

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

In almost all Lawlor games, the pops are controlled lights, not GI. At different stages they light for bonus points, you'd want to refer to the rules section of your new manual for info on that.

Thanks, I did find it ... Turns out by making it start with them lit, I was advancing their scoring. Each time ya make a loop shot, it progresses the pops from off, to lit, to blinking.... Each worth more points.

2 weeks later
#704 5 years ago

Pin doing what pins do... break. Display was all good, packed up pin and took to Nashville and set up... score display has 4 dead spots. Photo taken during test mode. I've traded out the ribbon cable with a known good unit, no change. Visual inspection of circuit board, no obvious issues found such as cracked solder joints or burnt spots.

Suggestions?

20181126_214425 (resized).jpg20181126_214425 (resized).jpg Added over 5 years ago:

Fixed it, while no visual issues found were ever found, and wiggle testing didn't do anything.... I resoldered the header pins and that fixed it.

#705 5 years ago

Earthshaker was the first pin to get me hooked on pinball. I was in college and in between classes, I would often hang out at the campus food bar. One day there was a shiny new pinball machine in the corner. I had played pins before, but never enough to really understand or appreciate the rules and gameplay. Well after my first dollars worth of quarters I was hooked. I must have spent an entire semesters worth of book money. I had every high score n the machine and played every day. Such fond memories. 30 years later, I am finally ready to start looking for one. I Hope when I find one, it will be just as enjoyable as the first time I played one back in 89.

3 weeks later
#706 5 years ago

Earthshaker!!! So I just got it running again and played the heck out of it for a couple of days; however this morning I come in and realize the left holly land post snapped into two. I’ve looked at the Earthshaker manual and don’t see a posts list. Anyone know what I replace it with? Bah Humbug.

1 week later
#707 5 years ago

So thanks To my Lotr manual, I figured out my last problem. Everything worked for a few days and now my shaker motor is having issues. If I put it in test mode, I can get it to move a little bit. I measured the voltage and the voltage is pulsing. The motor moves but will stop unless someone provides a push start. I searched the forums and they all suggest to check the voltage, but I couldn’t find what it should be. How can I determine if this an electrical problem (replace board) or mechanical (replace motor)?

#708 5 years ago

Hey guys! I just joined the Earthshaker club a few days ago and I’m so happy! I am missing the ball gate right before the Zone 5 eject hole. Does anyone know where to find one? Marco shows it’s out of stock but I have a feeling it’s rarely an item that is in stock. Not a lot of demand for something like that.

Anyways, it’s part #A-12557 and I’ve attached a few pics I found online.

Thanks a lot!
Eric

A66A9553-F4AD-4CFE-8A6F-C5A07C0203D8 (resized).pngA66A9553-F4AD-4CFE-8A6F-C5A07C0203D8 (resized).pngEB9DCB3B-25EF-47C0-B982-4AFE23A07D7F (resized).jpegEB9DCB3B-25EF-47C0-B982-4AFE23A07D7F (resized).jpeg

#709 5 years ago

Just picked up a project ES last week for $300.00 cant wait to get it up and running! Display is shot, MPU needed to be repaired. New plastics, ramps, display ordered. Playfield is in pretty nice shape. Backglass is perfect. ES was the first pin I owned so it will be nice to get one back in the collection.
Joe

#710 5 years ago
Quoted from cyroute:

Just picked up a project ES last week for $300.00 cant wait to get it up and running! Display is shot, MPU needed to be repaired. New plastics, ramps, display ordered. Playfield is in pretty nice shape. Backglass is perfect. ES was the first pin I owned so it will be nice to get one back in the collection.
Joe

may i ask where you oredered your display from? is it a original or new led?

#711 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

may i ask where you oredered your display from? is it a original or new led?

russdx https://ksarcade.net/rottendog-led-display-dis240-in-four-colors.html Getting the Blue one!

#713 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about my machine -

- Does all of the playfield and gi lighting normally go dark when you enter the cellar?

- Does the gi switch off (with relay switch sound) during attract mode when the lights "shimmer?" And then switch back on when attract mode goes from "shimmering" to the next mode?

- I saw the instructables without written instructions for the the sinking building mod. Does anyone know of anywhere I can follow detailed steps to build one?

- The relay boards for the gi have burn on the smaller connector with the brown(?) Wire. I believe f2 and f3 are blown. Should I replace the fuses and see what happens, or give it a try with the burned connectors to see how long the fuse lasts?

- The power cable to the wall appears to have a melted spot near the power supply. I am guessing a replacement will involve opening the power supply and resodering a new cable. Anyone have a suggestion on who carries the right / best one?

Thanks in advance! I'm a novice but looking forward to learning.

#714 5 years ago

Earthshaker is a great game. I can help with a few of these questions:

- Does all of the playfield and gi lighting normally go dark when you enter the cellar? - Yes

- Does the gi switch off (with relay switch sound) during attract mode when the lights "shimmer?" - Yes

And then switch back on when attract mode goes from "shimmering" to the next mode? - Yes

- The relay boards for the gi have burn on the smaller connector with the brown(?) Wire. I believe f2 and f3 are blown. Should I replace the fuses and see what happens, or give it a try with the burned connectors to see how long the fuse lasts? - Probably be useful if you could post some pictures.

#715 5 years ago

I'm looking for two replacement parts for my zone opener assembly. The actuator and opener have worn against each other so much there is some wiggle, which allows California to separate a bit too much from Nevada. They are out of stock at Marco's and Flippers and nothing on eBay. Any ideas on where/how to get replacements?

A-12431 Actuator
02-4351 Shaft Zone Opener

ES actuator (resized).PNGES actuator (resized).PNGES opener (resized).PNGES opener (resized).PNG
#716 5 years ago

I have an opportunity to buy a roached ES for 500. I cant tell if its going to be worth it. The game does boot up and start, but thats it, seller put it in storage after getting it to boot. I have done a few tear down and full PF restorations in the past and I believe I could get the PF looking new again with some work. What concerns me is the escalating cost of plastics, cab decals etc pushing this example beyond its worth.
Never owned one either so dont know how fun it will be to play.

This is the actual machine in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=vCNf08W3ovY

Thanks for any advice

#717 5 years ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

I have an opportunity to buy a roached ES for 500. I cant tell if its going to be worth it. The game does boot up and start, but thats it, seller put it in storage after getting it to boot. I have done a few tear down and full PF restorations in the past and I believe I could get the PF looking new again with some work. What concerns me is the escalating cost of plastics, cab decals etc pushing this example beyond its worth.
Thanks for any advice

well you could end up with a mint one with
new glass
new pf
new plastics
referb cab + new side art decals
new alpha display

so is getting bit pricy but would look amazing.

#718 5 years ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

Thanks for any advice

I think even with $2k in parts...youd be at 2500 for a minty ES. You'd definitely get your money back. CPR has most of the what you need. If you don't want their "flawed backglasses", I have a new bgResto one, never used I could sell at a decent price.

#719 5 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I think even with $2k in parts...youd be at 2500 for a minty ES. You'd definitely get your money back. CPR has most of the what you need. If you don't want their "flawed backglasses", I have a new bgResto one, never used I could sell at a decent price.

i checked cpr other day for pf and was none left :/ do they come up often?

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

Thanks for any advice

Wow, that thing is rough! I'm all for bringing beater pins back to life, but I would pass.

#721 5 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

$2k in parts would probably get it working and playable again, but nowhere near "minty." For reference, I bought a pretty nice (not perfect) ES earlier this year for $2200 and I don't think that one could be made as good as mine with that kind of investment. They always have a lot more wrong with them than you initially see, and I see a lot already!

#722 5 years ago

I have experience restoring the PF and I think I could get this one looking new again so would not need a new PF. It does have a backglass that is decent. Its been been sprayed triple thick and only has a small amount of lifting in the corner.

The cab decals seem like they will be a must however as well as some new plastics.

My gut is leaning towards this game is worthy of being restored.. Reading thru this thread I can tell many of you really like owning this game.

#723 5 years ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

I have an opportunity to buy a roached ES for 500. I cant tell if its going to be worth it.

Quoted from GLSP3022:

I think even with $2k in parts...youd be at 2500 for a minty ES. You'd definitely get your money back.

I think you'd spend far more than $500 labor fixing the board connectors & wiring harness, replacing cabinet decals, dis-assembling, cleaning, and repopulating the playfield. Buying $2000 worth of parts would make this a money losing project.

The playfield looks like it would clean up well. I only see a couple inserts that have the decals worn off. Rottendog has a new System 11 board for $400 if you needed one but you would still have to fix the wiring harness.

I don't see you making a lot of money on this one but it's certainly not a lost cause. $500 isn't outrageous.

#724 5 years ago

Just bought an Earthshaker and realized it's missing a board. Does anyone know of any for sale? Any info would help. Thank you in advance.

1547239126838_0_IMG_6927 (resized).jpg1547239126838_0_IMG_6927 (resized).jpg
#725 5 years ago
Quoted from 68Pontinut:

Just bought an Earthshaker and realized it's missing a board. Does anyone know of any for sale? Any info would help. Thank you in advance.
[quoted image]

68Pontinut if you have any trouble finding one locally, I’ll have a couple of them but I’m in Australia. I found two playfields that were absolutely trashed and pulled all the parts off them as spares for mine.

2 weeks later
#726 5 years ago

Hey I am finally a proud owner of an Earthshaker! This may be embarrassing but I have always thought when you lock a ball and the cabinet shakes, the voice yells out "Donkey Kong!". My girlfriend thinks it says "Earthshaker". How the hell does earthshaker sound like donkey kong??? Do I have a mental block or something? What is actually being said?

Scoot.

IMG-20190121-WA0010 (resized).jpgIMG-20190121-WA0010 (resized).jpg
#727 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Hey I am finally a proud owner of an Earthshaker! This may be embarrassing but I have always thought when you lock a ball and the cabinet shakes, the voice yells out "Donkey Kong!". My girlfriend thinks it says "Earthshaker". How the hell does earthshaker sound like donkey kong??? Do I have a mental block or something? What is actually being said?
Scoot.
[quoted image]

“EARTHSHAKER!!!”

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

... I have always thought when you lock a ball and the cabinet shakes, the voice yells out "Donkey Kong!".

770805D4-403A-48C0-AD71-7F9E090EF31B.gif770805D4-403A-48C0-AD71-7F9E090EF31B.gif
#729 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

[quoted image]

I always thought Donkey Kong was just something quirky that was said. I absolutely hear that every time. I cannot hear Earthshaker at all. The next time anyone locks a ball, listen for "Donkey Kong" and prove me wrong. Why can't I hear Earthshaker?

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I always thought Donkey Kong was just something quirky that was said. I absolutely hear that every time. I cannot hear Earthshaker at all. The next time anyone locks a ball, listen for "Donkey Kong" and prove me wrong. Why can't I hear Earthshaker?

I installed the donkey Kong sound mod on that one

#731 5 years ago

Looking for a set of nice custom instruction and free play apron cards.

Not much on Pinball Rebels or Ken's site. Anybody have anything?

Thanks

Gerry

#732 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Looking for a set of nice custom instruction and free play apron cards.
Not much on Pinball Rebels or Ken's site. Anybody have anything?
Thanks
Gerry

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-custom-free-play-and-instruction-cards

This thread has a few of the free play cards. And it discusses a url that is no longer active for the matching instruction cards. I wish I could find the instruction cards to match, because these look pretty nice.

Edit: this is the only instruction card I could find.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-create-your-own-custom-rule-cards#post-303662

2 weeks later
#733 5 years ago

Breaking down my Earthshaker and noticed that the ball guides don't line up with the marks on the playfield. Can someone look and see if this is correct?

20190217_144304 (resized).jpg20190217_144304 (resized).jpg1550433003289599003965 (resized).jpg1550433003289599003965 (resized).jpg
#734 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Breaking down my Earthshaker and noticed that the ball guides don't line up with the marks on the playfield. Can someone look and see if this is correct?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I looked. That's normal.

#735 5 years ago

Heres mine

20190218_205414 (resized).jpg20190218_205414 (resized).jpg
#736 5 years ago

Yep ...

P1020397 (resized).JPGP1020397 (resized).JPGP1020640 (resized).JPGP1020640 (resized).JPGP1020792 (resized).JPGP1020792 (resized).JPG
#737 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Yep ...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

is that bottom pic a cpr pf? looks very very clean

1 week later
#738 5 years ago

I decided to do a minor restoration project of my Earthshaker. I finally tracked down a CPR playfield, have new plastics, and 10 days of uninterrupted vacation. I am going to do as much work as I can within that time period. I’ll try to snap a few pics with my progress.

Please let me know for things to watch out for. My plan is to clean and paint the inner cabinet, do a playfield swap and get everything up and running before the end of vacation.

*Edit* I am 2 days in and finding it very difficult to remove half of the posts from the playfield. They seem to be glued into the t-nuts and are impossible to remove without breaking them. I have made progress on the cabinet. Having a lot of fun so far.

C2C232BD-1AAB-4A01-B04E-C277AFC74573 (resized).jpegC2C232BD-1AAB-4A01-B04E-C277AFC74573 (resized).jpegFD3BF7BD-C06B-4933-9DC6-05639FB2E9BE (resized).jpegFD3BF7BD-C06B-4933-9DC6-05639FB2E9BE (resized).jpeg216EB8F1-368B-488C-BBB1-C102E1A0FB57 (resized).jpeg216EB8F1-368B-488C-BBB1-C102E1A0FB57 (resized).jpegE23A4ACC-C5EE-4DAB-B41D-C9605396E24A (resized).jpegE23A4ACC-C5EE-4DAB-B41D-C9605396E24A (resized).jpegF4A80AFF-FBFC-4052-B798-4DDF638EB949 (resized).jpegF4A80AFF-FBFC-4052-B798-4DDF638EB949 (resized).jpeg64B59A5F-A084-4BAA-B389-CF8BA86EFCF7 (resized).jpeg64B59A5F-A084-4BAA-B389-CF8BA86EFCF7 (resized).jpeg
#739 5 years ago

Scoot put a soldering iron on the t-nut for a bit before trying to undo. There’s some kind of thread lock on them.

#740 5 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

scoot put a soldering iron on the t-nut for a bit before trying to undo. There’s some kind of thread lock on them.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that and even a small propane torch but no luck. Luckily it happened right off so I was able to quickly order some more and now have plenty on hand.

Over half way through my vacation and it is slow going. The gi and it’s stapled wiring is a real pain in the butt, so I have replaced them with regular wiring. I wish I could replace the socket for screwed ones but I ordered the wrong ones. Anyhoo, back to work on it some more. Here are a few pics of my recent progress.

9F083750-E9B4-4EFA-A6EE-22CD78128B89 (resized).jpeg9F083750-E9B4-4EFA-A6EE-22CD78128B89 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#741 5 years ago

Two days left of my vacation and I have the topside completed. Now for the rats nest underneath...

I also got a little sidetracked today with my newly acquired dream pin #2 Funhouse...(Earthshaker is #1).

34E5DDFB-69CA-401D-B523-F63832F0FB25 (resized).jpeg34E5DDFB-69CA-401D-B523-F63832F0FB25 (resized).jpegF7F6D3E8-7A46-49E7-A517-7E36A10D7323 (resized).jpegF7F6D3E8-7A46-49E7-A517-7E36A10D7323 (resized).jpeg
#742 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Two days left of my vacation and I have the topside completed. Now for the rats nest underneath...
I also got a little sidetracked today with my newly acquired dream pin #2 Funhouse...(Earthshaker is #1).

You have a PINSLED?!?!

#743 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You have a PINSLED?!?!

lolol i have NEVER seen a pin in a sled! thats insane.

#744 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

is that bottom pic a cpr pf? looks very very clean

Yes it is.

#745 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Over half way through my vacation and it is slow going. The gi and it’s stapled wiring is a real pain in the butt, so I have replaced them with regular wiring. I wish I could replace the socket for screwed ones but I ordered the wrong ones. Anyhoo, back to work on it some more. Here are a few pics of my recent progress.

Looks great! I did the same thing with my pops, color matching the aprons. Looks so good in this game. Its amazing how many folks don't realize that there is a specific order to the colors.

#746 5 years ago

Nice job getting your topside completed, looks great! I noticed the palm tree in the upper right corner, curious where you purchased it? Think it fits the theme perfectly!

#747 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You have a PINSLED?!?!

No Pinsled for me... but with over 3’ of snow so far this year, I’ve been doing a metric shit-ton of shoveling to keep the path to my walkout basement clear. Maybe I should just let it accumulate, put it in a sled and give her a good push!!

22992641-5FFF-499D-99D4-8C3A7F6B3315 (resized).jpeg22992641-5FFF-499D-99D4-8C3A7F6B3315 (resized).jpeg3A147D3F-948D-4F8C-B2A7-B6D88C62BDD7 (resized).jpeg3A147D3F-948D-4F8C-B2A7-B6D88C62BDD7 (resized).jpeg
#748 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

No Pinsled for me... but with over 3’ of snow so far this year, I’ve been doing a metric shit-ton of shoveling to keep the path to my walkout basement clear. Maybe I should just let it accumulate, put it in a sled and give her a good push!!

All my pins are in a walk in basement, which also happens to be my apartment. And when there is snow, I cannot move my pins around unless I too shovel a path. I’m just too damn lazy. I can actually sit on top and ride it down around back and yell, “weeeeee.”

Quoted from yzfguy:

You have a PINSLED?!?!

Pinsled! I like that!

Quoted from nvu4prod:

Nice job getting your topside completed, looks great! I noticed the palm tree in the upper right corner, curious where you purchased it? Think it fits the theme perfectly!

I have always been underwhelmed with the plastics palm trees. So when I got new plastics, I decided to upgrade them a little.

Hatisan 20Pcs Coconut Palm Model Trees/Scenery Model Plastic Artificial Layout Rainforest Diorama, Building Model Trees Cake Topper, Model Train Railways Architecture Landscape (Dark trunk) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVZQDDP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RXzFCb17D7JJK

E8242D56-B92B-40FC-8F1F-8F6A5AAC9A24 (resized).jpegE8242D56-B92B-40FC-8F1F-8F6A5AAC9A24 (resized).jpegE9C295AF-4FB5-4615-8C0F-40B3AB607077 (resized).jpegE9C295AF-4FB5-4615-8C0F-40B3AB607077 (resized).jpegED6C642F-7659-44EF-A88A-90D074F164D7 (resized).jpegED6C642F-7659-44EF-A88A-90D074F164D7 (resized).jpeg
#749 5 years ago

I was excited to join the club after pulling this game from a basement a week or two back.

5J5A9469 (resized).JPG5J5A9469 (resized).JPG

This game plays and all the important stuff works. . . but it really needs some help as these pictures show.

No decals on the drops -- I'll make some new ones easy enough.

5J5A9483 (resized).JPG5J5A9483 (resized).JPG

Looks like it might be difficult to register Zone 9. Wonder where the ball went?

5J5A9481 (resized).JPG5J5A9481 (resized).JPG

So many inserts. . . wonder what they are all supposed to have written on them?

5J5A9482 (resized).JPG5J5A9482 (resized).JPG

A new playfield helped answer that question.

5J5A9600 (resized).JPG5J5A9600 (resized).JPG

Right now the game plays clunky -- time, wear, and the shaker motor have taken their toll. Ordered some new ramps with the playfield so looking forward to sprucing things up once I'm finished with a couple other projects.

#750 5 years ago

Thanks for the Amazon link regarding the plastic palm trees. Just ordered. Good luck with the rest of your PF swap!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 2,301 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.