(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,301 posts
  • 293 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by tylery85
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 47.
#1 9 years ago

I'm seeing a lot of Earthshaker activity on the board lately - collapsing building retrofit, shaker motor, etc. - so maybe it's time it had its own club. Let's see those repair & restoration tips, parts requests, photos, ideas and suggestions!

#2 9 years ago

Im in!

#3 9 years ago

In , love my earthshaker ! It was the first pin to really suck me in and pull me away from vids back in the day . The shaker motor was enough to make it real cool !

#4 9 years ago

Sign me up. Love my ES. I need to redecal mine but after that I have a few mod idea's other than the Interactive under-cab lighting I have done for it.

#5 9 years ago

I just got mine a week ago today, and have been pulling everything off the playfield for a shop job this past week. Quite a bit more complicated than other pins I've been working on! I was thinking of adding undercab lighting for when the cab shakes, is that when yours lights?

#6 9 years ago

IN!
Mine is clear coated, with sinking building, topper, and Pink cadillac.
car.jpgcar.jpg
topper.jpgtopper.jpg

#7 9 years ago

I would love to be an Earthshaker owner, I just need to find one ...

#8 9 years ago

Owning one, standing next to a WhirlWind.

cool topper on your machine Zippy. Anywhere we could find such a thing? Or is this your own interpretation of how an Earthshaker topper should look...?? very cool indeed.....

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

cool topper on your machine Zippy. Anywhere we could find such a thing?

That's the PInballToppers.com one that Zippy has. It is very cool, but sold out for a while. Been waiting for David to make another batch myself.

Bitchin' club, and I'm in!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Owning one, standing next to a Whirlwind.

Ditto!
0009.jpg0009.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Nice lineup. A shame that Pat Lawlor didn't crank out a third disaster pin, but then there's always Volcano, Fire!, and Meteor.

#12 9 years ago

Looking good over there...
I'm in the proces of restauarating my beloved Earthshaker, so the Whirlwind gets extra playing time.
Proces is now at the stage of removing all hardware from top and bottom, starting with picking out the staples of the GI lights.

#13 9 years ago

Finally got off my butt and modded some LED's into my Caddie. Looking good!

caddie.jpgcaddie.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Nice....

#16 9 years ago

Took my ES to the MGC with the full intent of selling it. I cranked it up and every so often over the din of 350 machines I would here "EARTHSHAKER!!!!" The wife and about 4 others talked me into keeping it. Guess it's time to start some of these cool ass mods! To me ES was the first game of pinball I played where I was actually trying to accomplish something other than just keeping the ball in play. And as freezie said it was also the first to pull me away from vids. Great club. Glad to be "in"!

#17 9 years ago

Anyone had a problem with the top ball popper needing a couple tries to get the ball up?

Video is in my tech thread here, looking for input:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-vuk-cant-get-it-up-on-the-first-try

Thanks!

#18 9 years ago

Im in fun game.

#19 9 years ago

I'm in too! I have the pink caddy mod no led's in it tho and the sinking building. This was the first pin I bought and now I have three in less than 6 months and room for more. The wife is totally on board with it all "Priceless"!!!.
Joe

#20 9 years ago

I love mine but the playfield is shot. Would like to fine a nicer one and sell my player condition one.

Anyone bought the reproduction 3 bank drop target circuit board for this machine? I got one that I thought would fix my issues with drop targets but it didn't. Anyone good with the schematics know where the drop target board connects to the driver board and has anyone else had problems with not getting the switches to activate? The solenoid works fine but it keeps refiring because it is not registering that the targets are up. Just looking for some troubleshooting suggestions.

#21 9 years ago

Can one of you more knowledgable owners help me out with something, I'm doing a playfield teardown and the posts around the slingshots on both sides seem to have all manner of washers used a shims, for whatever reason. Every photo I can find online (including HEP restos) looks like no shims are used, but I can't really tell exactly what the correct setup should be. Here's a couple pix of the existing setup.

leftslingshot.JPGleftslingshot.JPG
rightslingshot.JPGrightslingshot.JPG

#22 9 years ago

Uh, duh, forgot to finish my post, can one of you guys snap a few pix of the correct setup so I can duplicate it? Thanks. Can't figure out why on earth these posts/ramps were modified this way.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Nice lineup. A shame that Pat Lawlor didn't crank out a third disaster pin, but then there's always Volcano, Fire!, and Meteor.

The crazy bulldozer driver Ted on Road Show almost qualifies as the 3rd. Red says, "Lets wreck some roads!"

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Uh, duh, forgot to finish my post, can one of you guys snap a few pix of the correct setup so I can duplicate it? Thanks. Can't figure out why on earth these posts/ramps were modified this way.

Shouldn't need the washers between the star post and t-nut. Take em off. I do put them between plastics and nuts sometimes, especially if the holes are enlongated.

#25 9 years ago

Just came across a set of photos on flicker of a playfield teardown, and this one's slingshot posts/plastics are shimmed the same as mine, or very close to it. I wonder if this is how some machines were built, perhaps later in the run?

#26 9 years ago

Only reason could be to keep the sling arm from hitting the plastics....no idea why else

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

The crazy bulldozer driver Ted on Road Show almost qualifies as the 3rd. Red says, "Lets wreck some roads!"

Agreed. Thematically Road Show feels like an Earthshaker sequel. There's even the Earthquake wizard mode, a 'Return to the Bunker' hurry-up with Whirlwind "The storm is coming!" callout. The artwork is also closer to Earthshaker than any other pin.

#28 9 years ago

That pink Caddilac mod is freakin' awesome. I found these replacement shaker motors. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-etc-shaker-motor-for-94-off-brand-new

#29 9 years ago

Hi - can you guys take a look at this video and comment on whether the fault opening up more than once is normal?

I'm trying to diagnose the VUK not getting the ball up on the first try and Quietmouse suggested this isn't right but couldn't confirm since his ES is down for the moment.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Hi - can you guys take a look at this video and comment on whether the fault opening up more than once is normal?
I'm trying to diagnose the VUK not getting the ball up on the first try and Quietmouse suggested this isn't right but couldn't confirm since his ES is down for the moment.
» YouTube video

It's not, responded in your original thread

#31 9 years ago

I've had some problems too with both the VUK's. Turned out that de forked leaf contacts needed adjusting. Now they work without any hick-ups. Looking at your state divider it looks as if that black triangular locking thingy mechanism underneath the pf on the assy is worn or maybe the spring holding it in place is missing/broken....

2 weeks later
#33 9 years ago

Getting ready for a big Pinball Life parts order, does anyone know why a tapered bumper post to the left of the middle ramp entrance is specified, as compared to a standard cylindrical post? Every ES I see (except the one on IPDB) has it replaced with a standard yellow or black bumper post.

Also anyone know production numbers on ES? Missing from IPDB listing.

#34 9 years ago

Im absolutely loving earthshaker so far. I planned on putting warm LEDs in it, but I had a ton of cool whites on hands. Some people may not like it, but I think it turned out really nice. Added two spotlights towards the top to illuminate the fault diverter.

Before.jpgBefore.jpgAfter.jpgAfter.jpg

#35 9 years ago

double post

#36 9 years ago

I have a beater that plays 98% but has some strange flasher issues that I need to sort out. It needs new everything. I have ramps but does anybody make a subway for it? Also needs a new playfield. the inlanes are down to bare wood. I have a few switches on the left ramp that are intermittent. They wont register when cool but after a few shots they start working. I need to replace them. Most of the plastics are broken/chipped.

If I can find a better one near me Ill get it, But I plan to restore this one if CPR ever makes a playfield for it.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

I have a beater that plays 98% but has some strange flasher issues that I need to sort out. It needs new everything. I have ramps but does anybody make a subway for it? Also needs a new playfield. the inlanes are down to bare wood. I have a few switches on the left ramp that are intermittent. They wont register when cool but after a few shots they start working. I need to replace them. Most of the plastics are broken/chipped.
If I can find a better one near me Ill get it, But I plan to restore this one if CPR ever makes a playfield for it.

I have yet to find ANY subways for ES. I am going to have to fix my own cracked one though I have new ramps otherwise. I am just happy that it is under the playfield. I have read that CPR has stated they would never do ES play fields, but have never seen where this was said by the company themselves.

#38 9 years ago

Love ES. One question, i am so used to the WPC buttons - how do you use the three button menu. I want to change the shaker(setting 41) to tone it down a bit - shaking my house off its moorings.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Love ES. One question, i am so used to the WPC buttons - how do you use the three button menu. I want to change the shaker(setting 41) to tone it down a bit - shaking my house off its moorings.

Page 13 of book or page 17 of PDF.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-pinball/E/EarthShaker_OPS.pdf

1 week later
#40 9 years ago

Wrote a piece about the sinking Institute over at Credit Dot Pinball. Old hat for some of the more seasoned members here. I linked Zippy's video in the article, as it was the best one I found on YouTube that clearly shows the sinking movement.

Rob
creditdotpinball.com

MODS: That Sinking Feeling--Earthshaker's Sinking Institute
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/05/26/mods-that-sinking-feeling-earthshakers-sinking-institute/

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I linked Zippy's video in the article, as it was the best one I found on YouTube

Cool, forgot I had that up there.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Wrote a piece about the sinking Institute over at Credit Dot Pinball. Old hat for some of the more seasoned members here. I linked Zippy's video in the article, as it was the best one I found on YouTube that clearly shows the sinking movement.
Rob
creditdotpinball.com
MODS: That Sinking Feeling--Earthshaker's Sinking Institute
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/05/26/mods-that-sinking-feeling-earthshakers-sinking-institute/

Nice article that will be particularly interesting to pinball/Pat Lawlor newcomers. I got in on the last order and am fully paid, looking forward to my mod. You are absolutely correct in mentioning that the Basement Arcade website is an atrocity that instills zero confidence in those interested in ordering from them.

One note: many of the pictures were missing when I read the article just now.

#43 9 years ago

Hey Zippy, I saw the photo of your ES playfield in another thread and yours is one of the few that have the correct tapered yellow post installed instead of an incorrect cylindrical yellow or black post. Any idea what's the purpose of the tapered post instead of one of the cylindrical ones? I'm shopping mine and will be ordering rubber soon, and was initially going to skip this piece.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Hey Zippy, I saw the photo of your ES playfield in another thread and yours is one of the few that have the correct tapered yellow post installed instead of an incorrect cylindrical yellow or black post. Any idea what's the purpose of the tapered post instead of one of the cylindrical ones?

Not sure what the purpose is, possibly to better protect the plastic and prevent airballs?

2 weeks later
#45 9 years ago

Out of the blue my ES has started lighting Jackpot a few seconds after multi-ball has started. It gives the "Take a scenic road drive today" call out and then lights Jackpot. Anyone ever see this? Switches are all fine. Just went through the settings and didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

#46 9 years ago

You have a switch that needs adjustment on the main ramp. Double check using the switch test, and roll a ball through the ramp.

#47 9 years ago

Im in, it a project but im in

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Added two spotlights towards the top to illuminate the fault diverter.

Before.jpg 258 KB

After.jpg 299 KB

I came here to ask this very question. Who else has brightened up the back end of their Earthshakers? Pics?

1 week later
#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

I came here to ask this very question. Who else has brightened up the back end of their Earthshakers? Pics?

This is something I am definitely going to do. Have also considered running some of the 12 volt Flexi-neon stuff under the edge of the ramps. May look Fugly though. I have to think about that one.

3 weeks later
#50 9 years ago

I got mine delivered last week and have been playing the crap out of it. I had a guy come over this past weekend and fix a few small things that were wrong with it (two lights were not working and the plunger wasnt striking the ball very well so there was no skill in shooting a ball).

One question I have (and am hoping someone can help me) is what does the lock mechanism look like for the backbox that holds the glass in? Mine for some reason was totally removed. Because of this, there is nothing holding the back glass in place other than gravity keeping it in the slots. So I'm thinking I should look into fixing this. If nothing else, just a pic showing what it looks like would be a big help at this point.

Thanks for any help one of you can offer.

Andretti

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
There are 2,301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.