Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mystman12
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Earthshaker or Diner?”

• Diner 72 votes
      51%
    • Earthshaker 61 votes
      44%
    • Grand Lizard (why the hell not) 7 votes
      5%

(140 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200816_154900 (resized).jpg
    20200821_154959 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Thoughts? Both pins intrigue me as system 11s. Debating which to grab.

Your thoughts?

(yes, mof, we know the winner is diner...)

#2 3 years ago

I've owned both and still own Diner. Earthshaker is great, but not being able to relight the jackpot is a real bummer.

#3 3 years ago

Yes, buy both

#4 3 years ago

I honestly would take GL over them, but I would begrudgingly take Diner over Earthshaker...I guess

#5 3 years ago

Hmm. Earthshaker is a counterpart to Whirlwind which you have and Diner a counterpart to Taxi. If it’s worth anything I played an Earthshaker and did not care for it. I’m not sure if it’s because at the time I didn’t know the rules so I just kept shooting the upper ramp or if it was because it was beat to crap. It didn’t do it for me though. Never played a Diner but it looks interesting

#6 3 years ago

I woulda thought diner would’ve run away w this.

#7 3 years ago

Earthshaker is awesome, I have owned it many times, and always end up selling it once I beat the game.
    Every. Time.

#8 3 years ago

In my mind Earth Shaker any day!!!

It is all personal preference though.

Earth shaker may have some nostalgia though for me as it and PinBot were the first machines I absolutely dominated.

Hearing the ringing of all the fault trips and miles is awesome especially if you max out a 99.

I understand Diners following but EarthShaker any day for me!!!!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I woulda thought diner would’ve run away w this.

I would have guess ES would win. It's a PL that compliments WW and is liked, and the ladies love it.

#10 3 years ago

Owned both for quite a while. Both great. But i have to give the edge to ES. I think its the music, i am playing it in my mind as we type it. The shaker is awesome and i love the aftershock effect. Sure you can exploit the centre ramp all day for points so not the best tournament game. But other wise its bitchin.

#11 3 years ago

Diner is racist and offensive. Anyone/any arcade that has one, should be shunned.

#12 3 years ago

Based on your current lineup I’d say grand lizard offers you the most diversity, so I’d go w/ that. If you didn’t have taxi I’d lean towards diner , but 2nd for me would be earthshaker

Gl is also the cheapest of the 3. Put that money towards something else on your list.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from KYLEDM5:

Diner is racist and offensive. Anyone/any arcade that has one, should be shunned.

Your avatar is misogynistic, anti-Christian, and offensive and you should be shunned. Thanks for playing the cancel culture game.

Edit: Apparently my sarcasm meter needs calibrating.

#14 3 years ago

WOW

I can't tell who is joking more? Can't wait to see how this concludes...

/popcorn

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

(yes, mof, we know the winner is diner...)

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

<spits out his coffee>

"<deleted>"

-mof

#16 3 years ago

Great.

Poll says it’s a tie.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Great.
    Poll says it’s a tie.

There is just no way to break this kind of tie. So solution is - get both!!

#18 3 years ago

Both, but EarthShaker first!

#19 3 years ago

I voted for GL, because of those sounds. However, for your real question, Diner.

But the best part of this is that they are all good games. So if someone else said Earthshaker, they wouldn’t be wrong.

#20 3 years ago

Diner by a lot. ES is way too easy.

#21 3 years ago

ES, Better sounds IMO.

#22 3 years ago

What’s funny is that I’d buy grand liz over them all, but can’t find one close.

I have a nice diner for 3100 but it’s a 6 hour drive. And an es at 2500 but the cab decal job is awful and the pf is cleared, but by brush, so it’s not the best.

#23 3 years ago

Yes, Earthshaker is too easy, however, it's just plain FUN. Hitting the center ramp may be boring for people to watch all day (holy crap DON'T put it in a tournament) but it's therapeutic and really good for practicing timing. Diner is goofy, and definitely anti-PC, but whatever, it's a dumb pinball machine, and stirring the cup is one of the best feeling shots in all of pinball. The callouts are so bad they make you laugh and I LOVE that.

Interestingly, the pinball place my wife and I go to near us has both games on location. I play a TON of Earthshaker, she plays a TON of Diner. Music wise they both are good, but the jackpot theme of ES puts it slightly over Diner. So my vote is Earthshaker, but by a hair.

Grand Lizard is fun to play but the lizard looks like it was a kid's art project.

#24 3 years ago

Hot take:

Whirlwind is the same game as Earthshaker.
    Diner is the same game as Taxi.

Whirlwind>Earthshaker
    Taxi>Diner

I say that with the utmost respect for both Earthshaker and Diner though as they're both damn fine games, and you wouldn't lose adding either to your collection. I just think when compared to their "sister" games, there are so many similarities that might make them feel more like extensions to games you already have as opposed to feeling like a different game entirely. IMHO, you already have the better alternatives, so I say give the search some time and go with Grand Lizard.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Hot take:
    Whirlwind is the same game as Earthshaker.
    Diner is the same game as Taxi.
    Whirlwind>Earthshaker
    Taxi>Diner
    I say that with the utmost respect for both Earthshaker and Diner though as they're both damn fine games, and you wouldn't lose adding either to your collection. I just think when compared to their "sister" games, there are so many similarities that might make them feel more like extensions to games you already have as opposed to feeling like a different game entirely. IMHO, you already have the better alternatives, so I say give the search some time and go with Grand Lizard.

Can't agree more. Loved the Earthshaker I owned so I went and found a Whirlwind. Then I realized I owned two of the same game, and loved the theme of WW more, so I put ES on the market. As much as people say "You need a ES to complement your WW!" you really don't. It's just a left handed version without a second jackpot.

Speaking of which: CAN'T SOMEONE CODE THAT IN ALREADY?!

#26 3 years ago

You own Whirlwind and Taxi. ES and/or Diner would be redundant, even in a large collection. Mousin' Around is a solid game from this era. Funhouse, High Speed, Banzai Run, Radical, F14?

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

You own Whirlwind and Taxi. ES and/or Diner would be redundant, even in a large collection. Mousin' Around is a solid game from this era. Funhouse, High Speed, Banzai Run, Radical, F14?

I’ve owned fh, hs and mousin. Not the Others.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-Geo:

Diner by a lot. ES is way too easy.

I was going to say the same thing yesterday - spot on.

Weaker players go ES.
    Better players - set to hard/hardest, open up your side drains, jack up the back legs, and grab Diner.

#29 3 years ago

Es is fun for everyone. It's a complete package. Mine will never leave.
    But seriously someone please make a jackpot relite code change! I'll pay.

#30 3 years ago

I own both and I can't decide

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I own both and I can't decide

C'mon Kerry! Vote!

I'm leaning towards Diner as i didn't like fun house and i'm not the hugest Lawlor fan.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from KYLEDM5:

This is sarcasm, right?

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

This is sarcasm, right?

I would certainly hope.
    However, there are morons who are actually "offended" by Diner.

#34 3 years ago

I've got WW and ES and love them both. They're the same, but different.

Edit.... What's offensive about Diner?

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from KYLEDM5:

I would certainly hope.
    However, there are morons who are actually "offended" by Diner.

The only person saying anything about it in this thread is you.

So I wonder who the moron is?

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The only person saying anything about it in this thread is you.

*Abe Simpson shakes hand at cloud*

#37 3 years ago

Diner is pulling away a bit...

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

I was going to say the same thing yesterday - spot on.
    Weaker players go ES.
    Better players - set to hard/hardest, open up your side drains, jack up the back legs, and grab Diner.

Aww man really??? I grew up playing pinball dominated many many games, and still came back to earthshaker!!! Just an awesome game!!! Never got tired of it!!!

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Diner is pulling away a bit...

Diner is better.

Earth shaker just makes you wish you were playing whirlwind.

Neither are exactly the deepest or most replayable games. You are buying them for system 11 charm but I’d say if you are buying a game for serious play look elsewhere.

These two are strictly in the “maybe my spouse / guest / kids will think it’s cool” arena.

#40 3 years ago

Diner. Earth shaker too easy, long ball times

#41 3 years ago

There are many ways to evaluate a game

Sometimes I like to rank based on how funny/goofy the sounds are, *since that's all that matters*. (this is purely subjective of course)

Diner > GL > WW > ES

ES just doesn't crack me up. Not that funny.

-mof

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

C'mon Kerry! Vote!

I'm leaning towards Diner as i didn't like fun house and i'm not the hugest Lawlor fan.

OK... lots of peer pressure I voted for Diner. However, I'm a HUGE Pat Lawlor fan.

#43 3 years ago

*cough* grand lizard! *cough*

1 month later
    #44 3 years ago

Look at it!

Sometimes I just look at it.

Look at this look at that.

20200816_154900 (resized).jpg20200816_154900 (resized).jpg20200821_154959 (resized).jpg20200821_154959 (resized).jpg
    #45 3 years ago

My vote went to Diner with a VERY close 2nd to GL. GL definitely flows the best out of the three but needs a bit more for the rules

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchild:

Look at it!
    Sometimes I just look at it.
    Look at this look at that.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Would you look at that??? JUST LOOK AT IT!! LOOKS REALLY GOOD!

#47 3 years ago

Just curious as I’ve never seen nor played one in person. What’s things are offensive?

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Just curious as I’ve never seen nor played one in person. What’s things are offensive?

Just stereotypes that wouldn’t hold up or be tolerated by many today.

#49 3 years ago

That's a tough decision. I think Diner is one of the best *looking* pins ever made, but I've never quite been able to enjoy playing it as much as I wish I did. My main gripe is the Dine Time jackpot. Unlike a game like Mousin', where there's a few different, sensible ways to go about raising the jackpot, Diner either requires you to spell EAT 12 times, or spam the left ramp like 16 times *in a row* to max out the jackpot, because it doesn't actually start increasing the jackpot until like the fourth combo shot, and if you mess up the combo, you'll have to get it up to four again before Dine Time starts increasing again. Basically, once you start shooting the left ramp, you feel obligated to grind it for a couple minutes until you max out the jackpot. Comparing with Mousin' again, that game's jackpot system works really well since you don't lose any progress if you miss the ramp when spelling CHEESY, and so you can feel free to stop shooting ramps and go for something else if you want.

Of course Earthshaker has its own big flaw with the whole one jackpot per-multiball thing. I think overall I enjoy shooting Earthshaker more, but Diner looks so gorgeous it's honestly a game I'd still seriously consider even if I have some issues with how it plays.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-or-diner?hl=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.