(Topic ID: 300016)

Earthshaker help

By itsdarkout

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

So my house got hit by lightning. Nothing short of a fucking headache. I just realized it messed with my earthshaker pinball. It will play the majority of the sound effects but will not play music. I bought new roms hoping that maybe one of the music roms got fried. I replaced 4 & 19 and it's no better.

I can deal with my appliances not working, but this hurts. Does anyone have any idea what I should check? The game seems to run fine otherwise.

#2 2 years ago

When I say hit by lightning I mean a direct hit. Hole in roof. Thankfully no fire and everyone is safe.

#3 2 years ago

I should mention that the game makes that "tone" sound when you boot the game, but will randomly make the same tone if you're playing the game.

#4 2 years ago

Lightning usually only takes out the thermistor in the power box. If you haven't already, unplug the game and open the power box (where the on/off switch is). If anything looks burnt, replace it. One bong is correct, although you shouldn't hear any during gameplay.

If the power box looks ok, run the sound test using the upper button on the CPU board.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Boot_Up_Diagnostic_Tones_for_the_D-11297.2C_D-11298.2C_and_D-11581_Sound_Boards

#5 2 years ago

The music comes from the sound card, the voice callouts come from the CPU. The bong is the sound card booting. So odds are your sound card is having issues. I'd try and find another game to test it in, or test another sound card in your game. Maybe send the sound card off for testing and repair if no one local has another you can swap in there.

#6 2 years ago

Might want to see that you have 2 ground rods properly spaced and installed correctly, something worth checking...sounds scary what happened.

#7 2 years ago

I might send it off for repair. I'll definitely check the psu first.

It was very loud. Thankfully the house didn't catch on fire. The strangest thing is I felt this almost like static charge go through my body right before it hit.

I appreciate the help.

1 week later
    #8 2 years ago

Still trying to figure this out. The previous owner installed a Pinscore Power Board. I can't find much information on it.

The board has several LEDS that have voltage numbers on them. All are green. My question is does this mean that each board is getting the proper voltage?

I have a multimeter, but wanted to ask before I dive into that.

Thank you so much!

Todd

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-help-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.