(Topic ID: 328200)

Earthshaker GI Re-install: GI Polarity W/ Diode Present?

By nerdygrrl

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi Y'all,

I am working on doing a PF swap for a friend. I decided to replace the stapled lamps sockets instead of trying to pull them out and re-use them. I am trying to run the GI wire for them. I know that if the GI is AC which I believe this is, then I don't have to worry about which blade I run my line to. That being said, there are three (?) diodes that I believe run from the GI to the pop bumper lights.

I was curious changed things up.

I wasn't thinking much about it when installing the sockets. So I didn't take any effort to make sure that the blades were lined up correctly with the previous socket.

#2 1 year ago

GI for this game is AC.
If a diode is installed at the pops then the pop lamps are in the lamp matrix and not GI.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

GI for this game is AC.
If a diode is installed at the pops then the pop lamps are in the lamp matrix and not GI.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Chris, many thanks. I'll go back and check my picks again. I though the lines lead to the GI lines.

#4 1 year ago

Like Chris mentioned, ES pop lights are controlled lamps and not GI.

#5 1 year ago

If the pop bumper lamps blink during the lamp test, they are part of the controlled lamp matrix.

Just another way to be able to tell if connected to GI or insert lamps.

#6 1 year ago

A useful (pattern) tip. Most (if not all) games designed by Pat Lawlor have controlled (lamp matrix) pop bumper lamps. I don't believe any other designers do this. Almost all other designers just use GI for the pop bumper lamps.

Pat Lawlor signature features (some but not all examples provided):

• Controlled (lamp matrix) pop bumper lamps. WW, TAF, TZ.
  • Double return (or in) lane. FH, TAF, TZ.
  • Use of blinkers (not flashers) in the (backbox) insert lamp panel. WW, TAF, TZ, NGG.
  • Offering a passage through the pop bumpers only with a clean shot. WW, TAF, TZ.
  • Speaker panel with controlled (lamp matrix) lamps. ES, WW, TAF.
  • Area of the playfield only accessible from upper flipper with two possible paths. WW, FH, TAF, TZ, NGG, RBION.
  • Probably others I can't think of at this time.

No kickbacks (that can be re-lit). That's a Steve Ritchie feature.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Offering a passage through the pop bumpers only with a clean shot. WW, TAF, TZ.

You can also on RS, BR, FH and ES (kind of). Not real familiar with Lawlor on his Stern and JJP games, but I had Monopoly which is almost identical to TAF and you can shoot through those pops too.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Controlled (lamp matrix) pop bumper lamps. WW, TAF, TZ.

Nice list. I would also add upper flipper and upper loop to that list. These days, most new games have upper flippers and upper loops. Pat may retire, but his style will live on. Ironic that he designed mostly for casual players, isn't a fan of competitive pinball, but many of his games are beloved by the competitive community, including me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-gi-re-install-gi-polarity-w-diode-present and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.