Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dw5Sw3pWkAcdK38 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

A) In Earthshaker, people got pissy when the game was NEW so Williams (before they went out of business, it was way back) released a family ROM that emits the word "Bitchin'!". Does anybody know if they replaced it with anything or any sound effect? Is the "Bitchin'!" sound effect ONLY used regarding *extra ball* callouts (in the original version where its actually used at all of course)? That's what I can tell.

The sound roms do not change so they never actually removed the sound, but rather just removed the call to activate the sound. The sound remains. So it's only one ROM. Called the "family version" or version F-1.

B) Also, does anybody know what kind of ROMs Earthshaker uses? I want to order a new one because no way am I erasing my nice original one... and no way am I peeling the label off to figure out what type it is. Thanks. I do have complete burning capabilities so I don't want to order a pre-made one, as I know that may come up. Just looking for what blank EPROM to order.

#2 4 years ago

Burn U26 and U 27 with F1 software https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=earthshaker&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Quoted from pinball-museum:

A) In Earthshaker, people got pissy when the game was NEW so Williams (before they went out of business, it was way back) released a family ROM that emits the word "Bitchin'!". Does anybody know if they replaced it with anything or any sound effect? Is the "Bitchin'!" sound effect ONLY used regarding *extra ball* callouts (in the original version where its actually used at all of course)? That's what I can tell.
The sound roms do not change so they never actually removed the sound, but rather just removed the call to activate the sound. The sound remains. So it's only one ROM. Called the "family version" or version F-1.
B) Also, does anybody know what kind of ROMs Earthshaker uses? I want to order a new one because no way am I erasing my nice original one... and no way am I peeling the label off to figure out what type it is. Thanks. I do have complete burning capabilities so I don't want to order a pre-made one, as I know that may come up. Just looking for what blank EPROM to order.

#3 4 years ago

download Fam Version open and extract u27_F1 and u26_F1

#4 4 years ago

Oh okay, so there is two EPROMs that need burnt. It's software split over multiple chips. Cool. Anybody know what type of EPROM they are?

#5 4 years ago

u26 is a 27128
u27 is a 27256

The F1 revision looks like it needs a 256 in u26 but it's merely just pre-doubled up the top half is exactly the same as the bottom half. If you only have 256's/only want to order one chip you could just burn onto 256's it will work fine in the machine.

#6 4 years ago

earlier williams games like Pinbot and Taxi used a 16KB at U26 (27128)

Earthshaker Uses a 27256 at both U26 and U27 32KB

Quoted from slochar:

u26 is a 27128
u27 is a 27256
The F1 revision looks like it needs a 256 in u26 but it's merely just pre-doubled up the top half is exactly the same as the bottom half. If you only have 256's/only want to order one chip you could just burn onto 256's it will work fine in the machine.

#7 4 years ago

I think you mean "omits."

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball-museum:

A) In Earthshaker, people got pissy when the game was NEW so Williams (before they went out of business, it was way back) released a family ROM that emits the word "Bitchin'!"

Williams released the new ROM before they went out of business?!

Curious.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Williams released the new ROM before they went out of business?!
Curious.

That’s bitchin!

#10 4 years ago

Yes, very curious.

#11 4 years ago

Offended by the word 'bitchin'. They obviously have not watched tv or been in real life.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Offended by the word 'bitchin'. They obviously have not watched tv or been in real life.

30 years ago people were always looking to be offended!!!

Not like when I was a kid 30 years ago!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Must be one of those arcades in the bible belt, or maybe Mennonite belt....

#14 4 years ago

Where is your "Pinball Museum" located?

#15 4 years ago

Gameseum in Ephrata?

#16 4 years ago

I heard Otaku has some REALLY good repair guides....maybe read those or reach out to him directly.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

30 years ago people were always looking to be offended!!!
Not like when I was a kid 30 years ago!

That's fuckin bitchin

#18 4 years ago

Dw5Sw3pWkAcdK38 (resized).jpgDw5Sw3pWkAcdK38 (resized).jpg
Booger is worse than bitchin'!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

earlier williams games like Pinbot and Taxi used a 16KB at U26 (27128)
Earthshaker Uses a 27256 at both U26 and U27 32KB

It doesn't have to. There is a slight difference in the upper and lower half of the family rom that a cursory glance didn't reveal (I just looked at the first 30 or so bytes in each of the haves) so in the case of F1, yeah, you'll need 256 for both, at least until I look at what the 2 bytes differences are.

The actual romspace needed for earthshaker is a 27128 for u26, from 4000-7ffff, and the 27256, for 8000-ffff. I doubt there are any other system 11's that require the 256 for the bottom half either, as you'd neither need to modify the board itself to bank select it or there's very large gaps in the available addressing on the rom since the PIA's all live in that address space, along with the ram.

Just because a lot of the roms have been dumped and distributed incorrectly doesn't mean that's what's required.

UPDATE: According to pinmame the lower half of the ipdb version is the 'correct' one. One of the changed bytes is in the test data for the sound test (makes sense, since it says bitchin during it), and the other byte that was changed is in the default values for the self-healing switch table, which makes no sense at all (unless it was done for checksum correction)

Someone needs to go through the romsets that are around and figure out the definitive versions. I suppose the end result would be it doesn't matter if it's working correctly.

#20 4 years ago

Put pieces of cut up sweatpants in the speaker holes to muffle the bad words. This will change the sound frequency from oh, bitchin, to metuchen.... like metuchen NJ. Plus, you need more sweatpants.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-family-rom-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.