• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Kevkat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Earthshaker lamp matrix.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kurisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

The light strip that is supposed to display the current jackpot value is not functioning correctly. Most of the values light up at the same time, some of them blink at varying rates, some of them turn off altogether at various times during the game. The connectors are fully seated, but beyond that I have no idea what to look for or do to diagnose/fix this problem. Other than this the game is working correctly, no problem with any other lights or displays.

Here's a YouTube video showing the problem:

#2 10 years ago

Anyone have any ideas?

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I have LEDs in there now (Cointaker Premium non-ghosting). However, before putting the LEDs in I had incandescent bulbs and the problem was exactly the same. So it is not an issue with the LEDs.

Quoted from viperrwk:

If the Right Road sign on the playfield is working correctly it could be a problem with the connector on the light board with cold solder joints. Beyond that, run lamp matrix test and test each lamp. If they come on as they should, it's probably an LED issue. Sys11 doesn't do well with standard LEDs.

I will check this out later, thanks.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If the Right Road sign on the playfield is working correctly it could be a problem with the connector on the light board with cold solder joints. Beyond that, run lamp matrix test and test each lamp. If they come on as they should, it's probably an LED issue. Sys11 doesn't do well with standard LEDs.

Thanks again for the replies. I ran the lamp test.

The Right Road sign is not working. Everything else on the playfield appears to be working correctly.

For the rest of the test, the first lamp in the test is the 25K captive ball; it blinks and all of the jackpot display lamps are dark. Next is the 50K captive ball lamp, and when this starts blinking the first light on the jackpot display strip also starts blinking. Advancing to the next lamp in the test, the second lamp from the left on the jackpot display starts blinking (and the first goes dark). This continues as I cycle through the test; a lamp in the jackpot display will blink along with whatever playfield light is being tested. After the last lamp on the jackpot display blinks, they will all be dark for the next lamp in the test, and then the left-to-right sequence will start over.

The last part of the lamp test is the jackpot display itself, and they all blink in sequence exactly as they are supposed to. So it appears they are lighting up when they're supposed to, but they're also lighting up when they're not supposed to based on other playfield lamps that are lit.

Just to be sure it's not an LED ghosting problem, I replaced a couple of LEDs in the jackpot display with incandescent bulbs, and that did not make any difference, they behave exactly like the LEDs and light when they're not supposed to.

I hope I explained this clearly, I can take a video of the lamp test if that would help clarify.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Have you tried changing the lamp on the Right Road? It never lights up no matter what?

I just changed the lamp on the Right Road. It lights up when it's not supposed to in the same manner as the jackpot display.

Quoted from viperrwk:

Do the jackpot lights keep lighting for the entire single lamp test as you describe ie Jackpot 1 is on with Captive Ball 2, Bonus 3x, Building 8, etc, Jackpot 2 is on with Captive Ball 3 Bonus 4x, Building 9, etc etc?

If you look at the grid that cal50 posted, during the lamp test anytime that anything from row 1 is lit the Right Road lamp also lights, anytime anything from row 2 is lit Jackpot 1 also lights, and so on. For example, when the Bonus 2X lamp is blinking the Right Road lamp is also blinking, when the Miles 20 lamp is blinking the Jackpot 6 lamp is also blinking, etc. etc. etc.

Quoted from viperrwk:

Are any other single lamps on even dim other than the tested lamp and the jackpot lamp?

No.

Quoted from viperrwk:

Do you have a multimeter with diode function? Have you tested the diodes on the display panel as jalpert has described above?

I have a multimeter but unfortunately not sure where. If nothing further can be done until I test the diodes then I will have to put this on hold until I can find it. (Being a military family and moving around so much, things get lost easily.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kurisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-display-problem?tu=kurisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.