(Topic ID: 335482)

Earthshaker Custom Topper (sinking building pinouts)

By mixographer

12 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 months ago

Hi All,

I was thinking of designing a custom topper for my Earthshaker. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the Solenoid 9 (Building Motor w/Relay) and Switches (row 1/col 4) and (row 2/col 4) behave. Maybe if you have a sinking building, you could tell me what happens? Like maybe:

when the earthquake starts,
solenoid 9 goes low until switch 1/4 closes
and then
when something else happens,
solenoid 9 goes low until switch 2/4 closes

I'd like to use these solenoid and switches to make my topper react to the game, but I'm not sure what the switches and solenoid do. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

#2 12 months ago

Gettin' no love here I see. (Caught your question in the other E/S thread.) I have the sinking institute and can tell you what it physically does(when it sinks, what switches trigger to send it back up, etc) but not electronically. A little over my head there. If that is helpful I can get you some video.

#3 11 months ago

I went looking for my old notes, but I couldn't find them. I considered guessing, but it's been a long time, so I ran a test, and I would definitely have guessed wrong.

The original design for the building was to have it collapse 1/3rd the way on the first ball lock, 2/3rds the way on the second ball lock, and then all the way down for the third ball lock. The building stays down until multiball is over, and will then come back up.

If you look up Earthshaker on the IPDB, you can download the pages from the manual that refer to the Building Assembly, as well as the prototype ROMs which include the proper motor and switch labels, and a "Building Test" that you might find useful.

The drawings describe a dual opto board, but does not picture the plastic wheel with "walls" that block those optos at various points during the building movement.

For reference, the motor is an 11rpm motor, similar to the ones used for pretty much any System 11 game with a moving target bank (like BK2K). I think Cyclone also uses the same motor for the Ferris Wheel.

Anyway, here are the switch combinations as reported during the Switch Test:

Building Up: Only Switch 26 is closed
Building 1/3 down: Both Switches 25 and 26 are open
Building 2/3 down: Only Switch 25 is closed
Building Down: Both Switches 25 and 26 are closed

The whole "collapsing by thirds" idea isn't implemented in any version of the software that I am aware of. However, if you don't follow the proper switch combinations, the building motor will turn off.

Good luck, and let me know if you have further questions.

Bill Ung -- UFO Pinball

#4 11 months ago

Thanks Bill and Mk1mod0! This is great. I think I can proceed from here and design a board to do some fun stuff. I was thinking of maybe a servo controlled ‘seismograph’ needle that I could activate when the software fires up the building. Maybe I don’t need the stop switches, except to tell the ‘solenoid 9’ to change state again.

The manual says something about the building being controlled by a relay board. I Think I can just watch to see when the pin for solenoid 9 goes high or low.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-custom-topper-sinking-building-pinouts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.