WP_003882.jpg
WP_003881.jpg
WP_003880.jpg
WP_003879.jpg
WP_003877.jpg
WP_003876.jpg
WP_003875.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So, I finally got around to swapping my ES into its new cabinet... Or should I say finishing it. Due to a hack on the interconnect board for the GI, I also decided to replace the interconnect board with a great lakes one.

So as far as what changed is, the cabinet, the interconnect board, the wiring harness to the flippers/coindoor/tilt mechanism, and the round capacitor in the lower right of the backbox.

I can still hear the relays switching back and forth... but zero insert activity, no blinking lights anywhere, only the GI is working (well and everything else about the game, I even have the sinking building mod on which is working but no lights). Pretty sure I hooked everything up exactly how it was.

I read someone that sometimes replacement boards dont work well together, I have a Rottendog CPU board in there with the Great Lakes Interconnect board, is it possible that might be a problem. I'm looking for ideas, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

While waiting for any ideas, I decided to connect (but not fully re-install) the old capacitor and when I turned the machine on, they came on briefly and very very dimly for a second and faded out to nothing again. Whether this was because I left it off for a while or switched the piece isn't clear.

I fell 2 weeks ago and fractured my foot which is still in a boot, so I finally got myself motivated to attempt finishing up this swap today and hook all the boards up.

WP_003875.jpgWP_003875.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Verify that bridge rectifier in the pic, it is for the lamp matrix. I had the same issue in my game, and that bridge ended being bad.

#4 10 years ago

I'm not sure how to test them, so I just ordered 10 of them for $20 from someone on ebay. Hopefully its not the capacitor, I see those are a tad more expensive, and harder to find.

When I originally removed all the parts from the backbox, the original ones wires contacted each other the wrong way and I saw some sparks, even after it was unplugged for a while.

I guess its possible that the one in the replacement cabinet was bad, and I inadvertently fried the original one from the original cabinet that was previously working (at least hopefully since thats what I am betting this order on).

Thank you for the suggestion, hopefully it pans out.

#5 10 years ago

Check out pin wiki.com. The info on how to test with a multimeter is there.

#6 10 years ago

Could someone point me toward the correct 8 amp fuse for this area? I couldn't find my multimeter so I just took the fuse from my WW and tried it and it didn't work, I also put the fuse from the ES in the WW and it also didn't work. Then when removing the "good" one from the ES with my trusty fuse puller , I broke it, now I have 2 non-functional games. I replaced the Bridge Rectifier, that didn't do the trick, at least, not right off the bat. I did that before the fuse fiasco. Of course now I am dead in the water with no known good fuse.

I googled 8 amp STD 926, and didn't find anything that looked like the fuse that was in there with the thick lighting bolt looking filament. Before putting the WW fuse in, I put an 8 Amp from my ES fuse kit in there and it basically just fried instantly which didn't surprise me too much since it looked completely different.

On a side note, anyone more adept at this want to trade a players WW and ES for an IJ4?

WP_003876.jpgWP_003876.jpg

WP_003877.jpgWP_003877.jpg
WP_003879.jpgWP_003879.jpg
WP_003880.jpgWP_003880.jpg

WP_003881.jpgWP_003881.jpg
WP_003882.jpgWP_003882.jpg

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Could someone point me toward the correct 8 amp fuse for this area? I couldn't find my multimeter so I just took the fuse from my WW and tried it and it didn't work, I also put the fuse from the ES in the WW and it also didn't work. Then when removing the "good" one from the ES with my trusty fuse puller , I broke it, now I have 2 non-functional games. I replaced the Bridge Rectifier, that didn't do the trick, at least, not right off the bat. I did that before the fuse fiasco. Of course now I am dead in the water with no known good fuse.
I googled 8 amp STD 926, and didn't find anything that looked like the fuse that was in there with the thick lighting bolt looking filament. Before putting the WW fuse in, I put an 8 Amp from my ES fuse kit in there and it basically just fried instantly which didn't surprise me too much since it looked completely different.
On a side note, anyone more adept at this want to trade a players WW and ES for an IJ4?

Did you wire the bridge rectifier correctly? Usually blowing that fuse right away indicates a bad or mis wire bridge. For they fuse any 8a slow blow should do.

WP_003876.jpg 250 KB

WP_003877.jpg 328 KB

WP_003879.jpg 400 KB

WP_003880.jpg 448 KB

WP_003881.jpg 473 KB

WP_003882.jpg 431 KB

#8 10 years ago

looks like an agc 8 fuse

#9 10 years ago

Marco has every fuse in stock but the 8 Amp Slow Blow, anyone willing to sell me a few?

Would these work or are they the wrong size? Marco has 6.3mm x 32mm

ebay.com link: 5x SCHURTER BUSSMANN 8A 250v Slow Blow 5x20mm CERAMIC Fuses T8a 8 amp

#10 10 years ago

you live in bethlehem, i work at grainger, we have a store there. if they dont have them in stock they can get next day. or try radio shack....

#11 10 years ago

Just curious... did they discontinue this particular fuse or something? I can't find anything that matches it the way that filament looks. I do have 40 8 amp 250v slow blow (delayed) fuses on the way already. I'm just curious why I can't find this specific one.

#12 10 years ago

Bump for question above? Also, this is the correct Bridge Rectifier correct?

MB351 Bridge Rectifier, 35 Amps, 100 Volts

$(KGrHqFHJFIFDrS6cNbcBRBZ96pN5!~~60_12.JPG$(KGrHqFHJFIFDrS6cNbcBRBZ96pN5!~~60_12.JPG

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Bump for question above? Also, this is the correct Bridge Rectifier correct?
MB351 Bridge Rectifier, 35 Amps, 100 Volts

$(KGrHqFHJFIFDrS6cNbcBRBZ96pN5!~... 33 KB

At work, so I do not have a manual handy.

#14 10 years ago

So your saying RTFM

Ok, well I downloaded it in PDF form and the Bridge Recifier looks like it should be fine. Same 100v and 35A.

Still not sure on the fuse issue. The manual says 8 Amp, Slow Blow, 32v. The ones I ordered were 8 Amp, Slow Blow, 250v. From what you all may have known before, and I just learned myself from an old post of someone looking for the same fuse. 250v is safe to use. So I guess I have no further questions until these fuses arrive. Sorry, that fuse looked so odd, I was a little trepidatious to use something different.

Thank you again for motivating me to RTFM.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

So your saying RTFM
Ok, well I downloaded it in PDF form and the Bridge Recifier looks like it should be fine. Same 100v and 35A.
Still not sure on the fuse issue. The manual says 8 Amp, Slow Blow, 32v. The ones I ordered were 8 Amp, Slow Blow, 250v. From what you all may have known before, and I just learned myself from an old post of someone looking for the same fuse. 250v is safe to use. So I guess I have no further questions until these fuses arrive. Sorry, that fuse looked so odd, I was a little trepidatious to use something different.
Thank you again for motivating me to RTFM.

More or less, yes

All the info is always there, and it is a needed tool to help keep a pin working.

When replacing the bridge, make sure everything is hooked up the same as on the old one, and use the manual to verify the old one was hooked up correctly. If not hooked up right, it will constantly blow that 8a fuse.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Just curious... did they discontinue this particular fuse or something? I can't find anything that matches it the way that filament looks. I do have 40 8 amp 250v slow blow (delayed) fuses on the way already. I'm just curious why I can't find this specific one.

I used to see those lightning bolt shaped fuse filaments quite a lot back in the eighties when I was installing mobile phones in autos (yeesh, I'm so old) Filament shape doesn't matter anyway, go by the rating.

#17 10 years ago

Update - The fuses worked. Also, I must have broken the fuse way back when moving the parts around from the old cabinet. The WW was back operational in 10 seconds. Th ES took a little longer. The new capacitor and bridge rectifier that were left in the new cabinet (and also the brand new rectifier I installed) must have been wired wrong even though I could have sworn I mimicked exactly what I saw on the original, it blew the new fuse instantly. I then just disconnected everything and put the old hardware from the original cabinet in (which was soldered in there positions) with the new fuse and viola...

#18 10 years ago

Glad to see you got it fixed! (Another good reason to get a manual, verify wiring on non-working games!)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-cabinet-swap-blues-no-insertsflashers-of-any-kind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.