• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ES1.jpeg
ES3.jpeg
#1 9 years ago

Since i'm restoring my ES playfield it's the perfect moment to check why my GI in the backbox is not working anymore....
Well here ís what I found on my Interconnect Board and connector

Looking at the wires on the connector and cross referencing them with the wiring schematics in the manual it misses an orange wire directly next to the red wire ?? (page 89in the manual)

Can someone post a photo of their Interconnect Board with the J7 connector on it as well?

ES3.jpegES3.jpeg ES1.jpegES1.jpeg
#2 9 years ago

What could have caused this crispyness? Could the relay on the GI back board be stuck closed or shorted out?

#3 9 years ago

The upper lights in my backbox do not work. I looked in and found the same connector you have pictured once burnt out and the operator just soldered the wires directly to the board. I ordered some replacement connectors to fix it. Hopefully it will fix my upper lights. I too wonder why these burn up.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Quietmouse:

I ordered some replacement connectors to fix it.

I too woul;d like to replaced both the burned 10-pin connector AND the 10-pin header. Any idea what type of parts these are? What are they called? brand and type?

#5 9 years ago

The original connectors are called "IDC" (Insulation Displacement Connector) and has been well-discussed on this and other forums.

You can purchase the connectors and the insertion tool from Pinball Life:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=235&pg=1

#6 9 years ago

As Ken said, IDC is the factory connector, but molex trifurcon .156 crimp connectors would be better for the amount of current incandescent bulbs draw. If you're going with LEDs then it won't matter.

www.greatplainselectronics.com

Long name. Amazing results.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

As Ken said, IDC is the factory connector, but molex trifurcon .156 crimp connectors would be better for the amount of current incandescent bulbs draw. If you're going with LEDs then it won't matter.
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com
Long name. Amazing results.

I am going with LEDs so I guess I can use the ones I already have but that is a great tip for others using incandescent bulbs. I love when you guys with the knowledge chip in to show the rest of us the Pro tips.

8 months later
#8 9 years ago

My GI has some problems too all connector have been replaced. Back box bottom lights are out. The problem is low voltage reading on J6 power connector. After doing some research online it said it could be a bad capacitor. My question is what capacitor should I be looking at? Not sure how to test for a bad capacitor. Thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-backbox-gi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.