By TheNoTrashCougar

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Print Page - Earthshaker! Aftershock Project.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 9 years ago

Hey Everyone,
I have recorded a preliminary gameplay video of my Earthshaker Aftershock project. I wanted to post this out there for those of you that can not make it to Expo.

Two things to note about this video:
1. The software is still in Beta form, so there are a bunch of things that I still need to work on.
2. I am not good at pinball, so I did not get very deep into the game.

There will be more code updates before Expo as I am continuously working on this machine.

More info on the project:
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1001.0

October 2014 Pre-Expo Gameplay Video:

Let me know what you think, I am always open to constructive, non-constructive, and offensive criticism.

--Scott

#2 9 years ago

Scott Danesi IS awesome! (maybe he is the LIONMAN)

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Scott Danesi IS awesome! (maybe he is the LIONMAN)

No no no, you are confusing me for someone else. Algar is LIONMAN and LIONMAN is Algar...

#4 9 years ago

IMO the music would get on my nerves really quick.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

IMO the music would get on my nerves really quick.

It really is the lesser of the evils. Most pinball music is annoying when you play it non-stop for days on end... Plus the original music of Earthshaker was annoying and I wanted to stick true to the original.

jk jk.

--Scott

#6 9 years ago

If you are using the Pop Bumper Illumination to indicate some feature etc. I would suggest you start with Solid burn (not dark) and then slow flash and then fast flash if you need another indicator.

#7 9 years ago

Good call! The pops mode is not yet implemented, but I will definitely fix that before Expo. The playfield just looks dark when I start a game. I need to look into a few other things to brighten is up a bit too.

Thanks,
--Scott

6 years later
#8 2 years ago

is this project still alive?
Anyone else installed it? https://github.com/scottdanesi/earthshaker-aftershock

2 weeks later
#9 2 years ago

I don't think anyone else has attempted the install as it is pretty in depth. The code is still out there for reference. I am not actively working on the code anymore. If someone wants to make a new branch in Github, feel free!
--Scott

6 months later
#10 2 years ago

Any chance of the video being made public or unlisted, but linked here? Just heard about it referenced of freeplay podcast Ep14. thanks

#11 1 year ago

Here is a more recent version of the code as it sits today.

Enjoy!
--Scott

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Here is a more recent version of the code as it sits today.

Enjoy!
--Scott

Who owns this now? One of a kind man !

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

A really nice guy in Florida currently owns it. I got a chance to chat with him at TPF about it and it is still up and running strong! I am really glad it is out there being enjoyed. I hope he brings it to a show I am at sometime in the future so I can reminisce.
--Scott

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

My buddy Matt ("cleanandlevel") owns the game. He keeps this one in Michigan, and he does hope to bring it to a show one of these days, so likely a northern show if it happens.

I know a Florida guy that's trying to make one as well, so perhaps there will be two eventually, but Scott's original would always be special.

#15 1 year ago

Is there a way to run the code in a virtual environment to check it out? Something like the MPF monitor. I don’t use virtual pin software much, but could I take someone’s earthshaker file and throw this code into that?

#16 1 year ago

A really nice guy in Florida currently owns it. I got a chance to chat with him at TPF about it and it is still up and running strong! I am really glad it is out there being enjoyed. I hope he brings it to a show I am at sometime in the future so I can reminisce.
--Scott

At the time we emailed… I thought about picking this up from you after seeing that video. Never been a Earthshaker fan but what you did was pretty cool. I really liked the music and your wife’s call outs!

#17 1 year ago

Does the original thread exist anywhere? PinballControllers now redirects to multimorphic. I'd love to do this to my ES. It's great to see the code in python.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Does the original thread exist anywhere? PinballControllers now redirects to multimorphic. I'd love to do this to my ES. It's great to see the code in python.

Here's a PDF of it with most of it

Print Page - Earthshaker! Aftershock Project.pdfPrint Page - Earthshaker! Aftershock Project.pdf
#19 1 year ago

The video is private.

#20 1 year ago

the one in post 11 works

#21 1 year ago

Will this game every be released as an upgrade or 2.0 version of Earthshaker?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Will this game every be released as an upgrade or 2.0 version of Earthshaker?

No, but I did publish the code on my github. It does not contain any assets and is really there to help the homebrew community. This was just a fun hobby project / learning experience for me. I do not ever plan to make a kit or license this out to anyone to make a kit, but if you can build it yourself, go for it.

https://github.com/scottdanesi/earthshaker-aftershock

It is pretty old code and I have actually gotten MUCH better at programming with Python since then, so be easy on me.

--Scott

#23 1 year ago

No, but I did publish the code on my github. It does not contain any assets and is really there to help the homebrew community. This was just a fun hobby project / learning experience for me. I do not ever plan to make a kit or license this out to anyone to make a kit, but if you can build it yourself, go for it.
It is pretty old code and I have actually gotten MUCH better at programming with Python since then, so be easy on me.
--Scott

Greatk thank you for the information.

#24 1 year ago

It does not contain any assets

I was trying to find those assets. That certainly is a big part of the effort.

3 weeks later
#25 1 year ago

--Scott

By assets I assume you are referring to audio etc?

9 months later
#26 1 year ago

The Aftershock Earthshaker is amazing!
I am someone who just restored an Earthshaker, and agree the music can get on someone's nerves after awhile. That said, the music in the Aftershock pin was great.

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, as it's not meant to be. Is there a set of roms (music wise) which can replace the current ones on the sound board, which has something similar to your Aftershock project? I know your system has significate computer hardware which interacts with the machine, to achieve for final project.

Nick from Pinsound tells me they are working on a System 11 compatible version of their product. I believe the issue is Williams decided to do part of the audio on their MPU board, while their sound board only does the music.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Sincerely
Eric

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, as it's not meant to be. Is there a set of roms (music wise) which can replace the current ones on the sound board, which has something similar to your Aftershock project?

No

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-aftershock-oct-2014-gameplay-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.