(Topic ID: 53730)

Earth Shaker - what is it like and what's it worth?

By swinks

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SANY0086.JPG

#1 10 years ago

I have an opportunity to get a Earth Shaker and none around here, what are they like as a game and what are they worth.

I currently have a Iron Man, Creech, Baywatch and Surf Champ and had a Whitewater that I miss so after thoughts from guys n girls that like the above and what they thought of ES or just general thoughts as well as whats a good price for a nice example.

#2 10 years ago

It's a fun game, but I'm biased because it's nostalgic for me. I'd say a good example is between $1600-$1800.

Check for a working shaker motor (one guy on here had a missing motor and driverboard)
Check for any cracked ramps
Check for a cracked fault line california plastic (often the boss cracks, and it'll either not work, or the owner will have put a large screw in it)
Check for planking or cracked inserts

#3 10 years ago

Toyotaboy is right on.
I love it. It's a game from my youth and is nostalgic for me. It's also just a great game with lots of shots, cool sounds, 2 and 3 ball multi-ball, and a hilarious theme. It also just plays fun.

If you haven't seen it, watch Chris Bucci's video of his:

#4 10 years ago

I had one come up on CL and bought it here in Atlanta about a year ago. Bought new plastics and ramps and pulled the mylar from it and it get's rave reviews during league and party play.

I also have that sinking building shown in Chris Bucci's video.

It ended up being what my 3 year old son now calls "his" pinball machine, so I guess it's not leaving anytime soon.

I'd like to think since mine has a perfect backglass and new plastics and ramps that it's worth north of 2k, but who knows.

#5 10 years ago

If it's a nice one, it's definitely worth bottom end~$1600. I love the game -- great early Lawlor. Really the first machine you get a lot of his "trademark design" elements on.

#6 10 years ago

Love mine, but understand it isn't a "deep" game. Some are turned off by that. I'd say a nice one sold to someone really looking for one could go for $2K, maybe a little more. Player quality ~$1K.

Chris

#7 10 years ago

It's about as deep as any system 11. Get to multiball, get the jackpot with some minor diversions along the way.

The only other way to play the game is to get to 99 miles, but you'd have to be really good to hit the ramp that many times during a game.

Quoted from mcluvin:

but understand it isn't a "deep" game.

#8 10 years ago

It's a lot like Whirlwind if you've played that. Knock out the lit targets to light lock. Lock ball. Repeat with different lit targets. Lock 2nd ball. Start multiball.....light jackpot, collect jackpot. Pretty typical rules of the late 80's. Great backglass, parts are generally available (including cab decals, repro backglass, plastic set, ramps, sinking building mod, etc). Playfields are coming soon too.

Value varies widely based on condition. Nice ones bring well north of $2K (ones with a bunch of new parts) and player examples are closer to $1,500.

Check to make sure the "fault" is working properly. This is the California/Navada map in the back of the game. It is opened/closed by a solenoid and held open by a cam that can be troublesome. To test it in gameplay, lite lock 1 and hit the side ramp. The "map" should open and stay open to divert the ball into the scoop (and not let it return done to the left flipper return) before closing.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's about as deep as any system 11. Get to multiball, get the jackpot with some minor diversions along the way.

The only other way to play the game is to get to 99 miles, but you'd have to be really good to hit the ramp that many times during a game.

It is a pretty cool "wizard-esque mode" when you get 6x and 99 miles and a multiball. I've gotten all that lit once and everything is flashing and the music is going nuts and the shakers on. Definitely a heart pumping experience for a Sys11 no doubt.

#10 10 years ago

i love my earthshaker , its the game that hooked me on pinball in the late 80's .It was on my hit list, i now own it and it will never leave !

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

i love my earthshaker , its the game that hooked me on pinball in the late 80's .It was on my hit list, i now own it and it will never leave !

I highly recommend the WW companion so it doesn't get lonely

#12 10 years ago

I have both. Both are phenomenal games.

Quoted from The_Director:

#13 10 years ago

I have both also. ES undergoing a restore. Can't wait to get it finished.

John

#14 10 years ago

It's not a bad game, chicas like it a lot, but I never was smitten with it too much. Much rather have a Whirlwind.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks heaps guys, has helped a lot, and watched that vid and does look like a fun game.

Much appreciated

#16 10 years ago

A little rare in OZ, pricing anywhere from $1800 to $2500.

#17 10 years ago

I got the family rom for mine. I have kids from the Church over often as well as my own and wanted it to decent for them to be able to play.

#18 10 years ago

Isn't the only change "bitchin'"

Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

I got the family rom for mine. I have kids from the Church over often as well as my own and wanted it to decent for them to be able to play.

#19 10 years ago

I think it is one of the best bang-for-the-buck games out there.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Isn't the only change "bitchin'"

Correct, but that actually does bother some people.
To each his own.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from sparkup:

A little rare in OZ, pricing anywhere from $1800 to $2500.

from research yes not alot getting around in OZ, but reserved a recent import from a US collection, still waiting to here details on quality

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Would love one ! But pins are hard to come by up here , I drove 1600km round trip for earthshaker , yes , it meant that much to me !

#23 10 years ago

It's fun, but not Whirlwind fun. They look cool sitting together, but mine gets played 10% of what Whirlwind does. I'd sell it for $1200. It plays fine, but the cosmetics aren't great and it's a re-import. Good player's machine.

SANY0086.JPGSANY0086.JPG

#24 10 years ago

If I wasn't recently unemployed I'd offer you $1200 for that Earthshaker. Any chance you'd be interested in trading your Earthshaker for a player's Sorcerer plus some cash?

#25 10 years ago

I own both. Pat Lawlor is one of the BEST pinball designers there is.

I love my WW and thoroughly enjoy my ES. I give my WW a 9.4 and my ES, a solid 8.7. Neither leaving anytime soon.

I would say $1500 on a clean ES and $2k+ on an exceptional model.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earth-shaker-what-is-it-like-and-whats-it-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.