(Topic ID: 279462)

Early Zale era Bally... what controls the ball in play lights, etc?

By drsfmd

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hay ride lights (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Working on getting my Hay Ride working 100% after an amazing playfield restoration. I've already mentioned the issues I'm having with the free ball gate in another thread. The other problem I'm having is with the ball in play and game over lights.

When a ball is discharged into the shooter lane, and when points are scored, the ball in play lights flash briefly, then go out again. The game over light flashes briefly at the end of the game. Obviously, these are supposed to remain lit.

I've poked and prodded everything I can think of. The ball in play stepper itself is clean and works otherwise flawlessly. GI and playfield insert lights work flawlessly. What I think is the relevant portion of the schematic is below...

hay ride lights (resized).jpghay ride lights (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

To add- that game over trip relay is spotlessly clean and has continuity. Besides, if that were the problem, the lights wouldn't even flicker, right?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

that game over trip relay is spotlessly clean and has continuity.

I don't know what that means. Can you elaborate? What about the match lights? Do they have the same problem?

If you have the same trouble with both the Ball in Play and Game Over lights the problem is probably something in common with the two. What about that Tilt relay switch? Maybe it's making a poor connection. What happens if you jumper from the 10 wire to the 71-5 wire in your schematic?

/Mark

#4 3 years ago

If you haven't replaced all of the fuse holders already, I highly recommend it! They can look fine, but the spring pressure can be low and you will get intermittent problems.
When you take out the old ones, squeeze the clips and see how easily they just crack and fall off...all Bally pinball and bingo fuse holders that are original need to be replaced.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

What happens if you jumper from the 10 wire to the 71-5 wire in your schematic?

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! I was testing the switch at the relay, and it had continuity, so I assumed all was well. After seeing your message I started working my way backwards, and discovered that the 71-5 wire had a break in it. Patched in a bit of new wire, and those lights are now working.

Quoted from DCP:

If you haven't replaced all of the fuse holders already, I highly recommend it! They can look fine, but the spring pressure can be low and you will get intermittent problems.
When you take out the old ones, squeeze the clips and see how easily they just crack and fall off...all Bally pinball and bingo fuse holders that are original need to be replaced.

Yup. That's the first thing I do with any EM, but it's especially important for Bally's. All six fuse holders were replaced before I even tried to turn the machine on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-zale-era-bally-what-controls-the-ball-in-play-lights-etc?hl=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.