Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pinchroma
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I am about to buy a second hand Wizard of Oz and I've heard about problems with the early games. I would really appreciate if somebody could list

a) the known problems
b) how to recognize them during a buyer's inspection
c) when the problems were sovled in production

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

A late game doesn't mean trouble free as I can attest to but JJP having excellent customer service if anything DOES go wrong. By now, hopefully everything is sorted out now. I'd just play the game several times and make sure everything works. Cycle through the test modes, etc. . The light boards should have been fixed now, a problem with the early models. Loose screws as in coil stops was a common problem with WOZ's as well as missing screws from the Winkie switch (make sure Winkie rises and falls as he should). I didn't get my August '14 WOZ really functioning dependably until April of '15 (a miss routed coil wire caused most of the problem). I haven't had a service call since to fix it since that time (it's located at a weekly beach rental house)...knock on wood.

#3 8 years ago

Early playfields are a big issue with chipping of the art. They switched suppliers somewhere along the way. Check around on here to find out the affected numbers. There's an active thread.

#4 8 years ago

I'm sure this is covered in one of the 2000 posts on this game but will they honor warranty on a game bought NIB 2nd hand?

#5 8 years ago

I had a WOZ Standard for 2 1/2 years. Sold it a couple of weeks ago. You are going to need one of those little switch adjusting tools. I never really had any problems with the led lights but I would check real close. Fun to play. A lot of things going on - it's like playing a pinball and a half. A few problems that might pop up but should be easy to fix. Good support from Lloyd.

#6 8 years ago

Not all early games have the problems described. I have a very early game (2nd shipped AFAIK) and I have no playfield issues and the lighting problems were resolved with a few replacement LED boards. I also have the original power supply with no issues.

LED problems were easy to spot since the game lighting would lock up regularly. You should be able to tell by playing several games. Paint chipping - look around the pops and winkie drop target for typical spots. I'd also check ball trough hole and wizard eject.

Not discounting the fact that others have had issues with early games, but if you don't see any of the problems described, I would not discount the game just because its early.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm sure this is covered in one of the 2000 posts on this game but will they honor warranty on a game bought NIB 2nd hand?

No. jack has even posted here (in for sale threads!!) warning people they would NOT have warranty.

They will help you if something goes wrong (Lloyd, especially, he is a pinball whisperer!), but at a cost. No warranty.

The game is starting to grow on me... but I would NEVER buy one 2nd hand unless I was positive it did not have the bad batch of playfields (which JJP wont even replace UNDER warranty) and I would want to be 100% sure it did not have the defective light boards still installed.

Frankly, given the issues above, I'd want a pretty damn BIG price savings to buy a used WoZ vs a new one.

#8 8 years ago

I would not buy a WOZ that was built prior to nov-dec 2013.

#9 8 years ago

Be sure it is a production game and not a prototype.

LTG : )

#10 8 years ago

Lloyd ,what really is a Prototype game ? I remember about 1 year ago when games were still back logged on production a couple of distributors had prototypes for sale at a slight discount to new retail price . They advertised that all light boards and codes were updated . I was actually disappointed at the time that I had overpaid for the new LE preorder .

#11 8 years ago

Some prototype games went out to various places. When it came time to change them, some didn't want to do this and kept them.

The very early ones can't be updated. They have very basic code in them.

Latest code is 4.11, if that is in there, it isn't one of them.

#12 8 years ago

Like TVP said, don't buy.

1 week later
#13 8 years ago

My rental agent called. WOZ is out. Oh my!
Going to fix tomorrow.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The very early ones can't be updated. They have very basic code in them.

What about them prevents a code update? I would think I could just reimage the hard drive and be ok.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What about them prevents a code update?

No idea. I just know they are bricks.

#16 8 years ago

The earlier machines had cpus that can't handle the current code. I believe they were atom based. Just not enough horsepower.

#17 8 years ago

Got back from WOZ . Monitor driver board went bad. Support was excellent again. Thanks Frank!. Wear around winkie is bad.
Lit winkie broken again...my second one. I'm not going to bother the nice people I bought it from again-just reinstalled old winkie.
Left flipper creating it's own light show when pressed but I think I got it sorted out with Franks help.
All in all I've had too many problems for a new machine but the excellent tech help makes me still believe in JJP.

#18 8 years ago

How many light boards are there and how many might need to be replaced? How much are they (if you are not the first owner and there´s no warranty)?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from nibre:

How many light boards are there and how many might need to be replaced? How much are they (if you are not the first owner and there´s no warranty)?

this would be a question you should contact JJP about. Let us know what you find out.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What about them prevents a code update? I would think I could just reimage the hard drive and be ok.

They beta machines are very very different from production and the code/updater/etc doesn't account for most of it so a reimage won't even work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-woz-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.