(Topic ID: 75226)

Early WOZ owners -- If you had it to do over………….

By pindome

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bear.jpg
photo 2.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 10 years ago

Honestly, I would pass. The game has been broken so much it's been more frustration than fun. When it is working, I'm just waiting for it to die. I can't relax and enjoy it. If I could do it all over I'd definitely have passed.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

48 DAYS?? PM sent!

Mine has been down more than that with still no hope that problems are being solved. I'm getting close to "fire selling" it so it gets moved out of my way.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

markmon if jjp said i will give you a new one - give me your old one and 1k - would you do something like that - seems like it could be a win for both parties as he gets the game back and see why there were so many problems.
then resell it as a used one.
you get a new one that won't have the problems - and you would then feel so good about how you were treated that it would lead to you buying more of his games - or maybe others would be impressed and not be worried about buying new games
could be a win for both parties - then again both parties could say it a stupid idea that they would never entertain.
okay i guess i am bored at work to come up with this stuff
thanks ed

I am not interested in paying $1000 to get a new woz when my original woz barely has 150 plays since its down so much. But given no option and that option, I'd take it. I would demand refund for my paid in full hobbit to pay my end of the fees.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

With a couple of the companies mouth pieces on here I am surprised no one contacted you and made arrangements to send you whats needed to get the game running 100% ????
They have to be aware of your problems since you posted them publicly.
Its new & under warranty and they should make it right , if not a refund is a reasonable request.

The current way "the company" handles it is by sending out replacement boards for ones that died. The fact that the boards, including the new ones, die every single game, seems to not matter. So I have a few dead boards. I can get them replaced, install the new ones, and in the first game I play more led boards will be dead. I have asked for a complete replacement power supply and whatever is needed for this to be fixed and keep working, but apparently that requires me to track down Jack. So far it's been a somewhat unpleasant and frustrating experience. Both Alex and LTG are probably reading this post but I believe neither are empowered to do what's needed to fix my lemon permanently. Waiting to see how this plays out before making a much larger public fuss.

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You have had 7v boards that were sent out fail? You would be the first instance of that. I can't obviously authorize (neither can Lloyd) a swap of every light board if it's not broken. That is a jack thing but you can just email him. He will respond.

Yea. 7v boards are dying. A board fails every game now. Replacing boards won't matter because next game they'll be dead. I need a different power supply I think.

Quoted from iceman44:

I feel bad for you guys that got the 5v boards, I was lucky to be in the early October group that got the updated boards..........I don't see anybody else whining to level of this guy, yes it would piss me off too but hey either adapt or get out and I feel that he's being overly dramatic......being the "light guy" himself.......him and his buddy came up with the GI lighting after all, which I bought.......the only guy that can't seem to fix it?

So I'm going to ignore all your personal insults and only respond to the facts. Let's say I was "the light guy", what could I do about power spikes blowing out proprietary rgb boards myself? I feel nothing. But if you have suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. Certainly this isn't easily solved by inserting one of my 6.5v 555 LEDs. Lol.

As for exaggeration. My boards now die every game. I just swapped 10 boards with new 7v boards (LTG can confirm). First game when I got an extra ball, the light show blew out board 24. That was one that I didn't swap with a 7v so ok. I swapped with a new one using my spare. Next game, skill shot blew up 15. I bypassed that on the menus. 15 is a 7v board. Next game skill shot blew up something else. I didn't bother to figure out what. It doesn't matter as I have no spares left and even if I did something else would just blow up on my next game.

I don't know what it is, but the new animation on skill shot, extra ball, and replay is almost guaranteed to damage one of my led boards. I'm sure my case is unique which is why I'm saying I have a lemon and am not trash talking the whole JJP platform. Why do I complain about it? Because after 4 support calls and several board swaps, I shouldn't have to initiate contact and track down the head of the company to sort this out. His staff should be empowered to handle this via nothing more than a support ticket. When this is resolved one way or the other, I'll state how.

Currently, the game is powered off and unplayable. So you said I should "adapt or get out". If someone wants to buy me out for what I paid into this, I'll happily get out. But no one will buy this game in this state without taking a huge loss. I'm not sure what you suggest by adapt. But other than going through the support channels while the game sits idle or letting every insert blow out until there are no lights, not sure what you suggest there either.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Has to be something electrical. Isn't light boards causing that. If 7v are going then there is something really nasty voltage wise going on. This has been escalated.

Cool. Thank you.

Quoted from LTG:

That is pretty much what happened.
I can only do so much.
When a customer wants more than I can do, I tell them they'll have to go higher up the food chain. And Jack has been and is the most accessible manufacturer to deal with. I let them know what I can, and can't do.
So if I suggest going over my head, that is the quickest way. I go up the ladder myself, takes longer and less likely to happen. But per the person's concerns, I did send it on. Where it promptly stalled in all the holiday traffic. Everybody needs something yesterday, and everything takes longer.
If it were like other companies, I'd gladly send it on it's merry way. But for JJP, I try to get things going the fastest way possible so the customer can get the game going and enjoy it.
I am sorry if I offended the person, I only meant to help, the best way I know how.
LTG : )

Hey you didn't offend. . I have no complaint with you or Alex . I appreciate what you've done so far. My only comment was that it would been nice if you guys were more empowered so you didn't have to send people up the ladder when it was obvious that more of the same won't work.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Could something be getting shorted out intermittently from vibrations or ball collisions?

It happens very consistently on the new light shows for skill shot, replay, or extra ball. I'm pretty sure that's causing the power supply to work harder and mine just can't handle it.

The new animation creatures a very bright hot spot of white with the LEDs and moves it around in a cool manner.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Has to be something electrical. Isn't light boards causing that. If 7v are going then there is something really nasty voltage wise going on. This has been escalated.

Yes, this was my thinking. I wasn't just requesting a new board set to have a new board set. That wouldn't even help. As soon as I put the entire new board set in and started a game, boards would blow out. What I wanted was to take the next step, assume new boards won't solve this, and move to the next component. In my opinion, that's the power supply. Unfortunately, new power supplies are 7v. You cant put in a 7v power supply and run the old 5v boards on it. So I am not directly asking for a new boards set. I am directly asking for a new power supply, and indirectly asking for the 7v boards that run with the new power supply because the new power supply will for sure blow up the remainder of the 5v boards.

The part that I would think would happen here without escalation is the thinking above. "This guy doesn't just need new boards. Something is causing them. Let's send him *that* component. Oh crap, that new component will blow his boards, we'll need to send those as well". This is different than just asking for a bunch of new boards so I feel good.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Have you tried putting the game on a power regulator (like something from the Panamax AV lines)?

No. But I'm pretty sure its not an input power issue. I think its a rectified power issue only on the 5v line. I've had the game die in my game room, shop, and as jrivelli pointed out, at a trade show. All different input power.

#123 10 years ago

So a quick update. Ken emailed me today and I'm getting a new power supply and board set sent out after the holiday. I did not have to call Jack. Looks like LTG took care of it. Very cool. Will update when it arrives.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 24.50
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-woz-owners-if-you-had-it-to-do-over%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.