(Topic ID: 146637)

Early Williams SS sound board interface?

By zacaj

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

After some reading, I've found that early Gottlieb sound boards interfaced with the MPU via a simple 4/5 wire binary connector, where you just pipe in the number of the sound you want played, but I haven't been able to find any such information for Williams (specifically Laser Ball, I'm unsure of what you would call the specific boards beyond 'no speech'). Does anyone know if someone has documented this anywhere?

#2 8 years ago

Look at the pin designations for the connectors on the driver board and sound board in the manual. A few of the solenoid outputs on the driver board feed into the inputs on the sound board.

Check for the correct voltage. Check for connectivity between all the connectors. Verify that the EPROM hasn't been erased or corrupted.

Beyond that, there is additional board-level troubleshooting that would need to be performed.

#3 8 years ago

Williams sounds, at least until the end of system 6, were treated essentially the same as firing a solenoid. Same driver board outputs as the chime box had on the first couple solid state games.

Sounds are triggered by grounding the input pins on the sound board.

System 7 sound boards work the same, other than having a dedicated cpu board Pia chip to free up solenoid circuits.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Williams sounds, at least until the end of system 6, were treated essentially the same as firing a solenoid. Same driver board outputs as the chime box had on the first couple solid state games.
Sounds are triggered by grounding the input pins on the sound board.

Looking at the schematic I count 8 pins coming in, so if my understanding is correct it's limited to just 8 sounds?

#5 8 years ago

It's combinations of the pins to trigger over 30 sounds.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's combinations of the pins to trigger over 30 sounds.

There appears to be pulsing patterns to that make the inputs even more complex for background sound games. Also one of the inputs is for silencing all noise too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-williams-ss-sound-board-interface and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.