(Topic ID: 117265)

Early Whitestar only boots for the ladies?

By CadillacMusic

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CadillacMusic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi guys. Got an early style whitestar board that won't boot in my RCT. Here's the story:

This CPU board came out of a used machine we got, with lots of fun acid damage. I cleaned up the acid, replaced a few chips (watchdog included), and stuck it in a Stern Playboy. The machine machine booted OK. It seemed to have occasional problems rebooting after it had been on for a while, but because our machines aren't turned on and off a lot, I let it be until I had time to look at it better. We recently got in an RCT that's been blowing F9. We replaced the power board in it several times, to no avail. So I traded CPU boards with Playboy. Playboy boots up fine. RCT...refuses to boot. I take all the chips out but the CPU PROM. Still nothing. I replace the CPU chip with one I find lying around. Nope. I burn a new CPU chip. Still no luck. I take the CPU chip out of the playboy, and stick it in the RCT. It boots.

I have never encountered something like this before. Am I missing something obvious? My guess is that 210 needs to be resocketed, as I didn't do that when I fixed the acid stuff. Everything buzzed out OK, but I have no other ideas. Anyone know what's going on?

#2 9 years ago

Update: Now it doesn't boot for the PB either. I guess it was on the way out? Weird that it was willing to do it a couple of times. Guess I just got unlucky?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, KY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CadillacMusic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-whitestar-only-boots-for-the-ladies?tu=CadillacMusic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.