Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Krupps4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201018_125657 (resized).jpg
    20201018_125644 (resized).jpg
    17319e74f47643d01d15bc5a24044b23aa6e746d (resized).jpg
    20200827_202210 (resized).jpg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

This thing is hard! Giving it a shot at VUK in Bethesda MD.

20200827_202210 (resized).jpg20200827_202210 (resized).jpg
    #52 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

[quoted image]

I remember my first game on FG. Three plunges, three balls that drained without me getting a flipper on it. Did not leave me with the “just one more game” feeling lol. I was still a noob with no nudging skills (marginally better now haha). I should really give this game another try....

#53 3 years ago

My collection has focused on that era for a while. There is no right answer. Get a game. Play it, fix it, then trade it when you are tiring of it. Each one has something to offer.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

My collection has focused on that era for a while. There is no right answer. Get a game. Play it, fix it, then trade it when you are tiring of it. Each one has something to offer.

Making progress on your AFM! Maybe 12 hours left.

#55 3 years ago

[quoted image]

I watched the PAPA video on YouTube. Even he had a brutal time.

#56 3 years ago

Harlem Globetrotters is pretty awesome.

#57 3 years ago

I am liking the multi level games. What do you guys think of Haunted House compared to Flash and BK?

I can see the attraction to any of these. But I will say the problem with HH is that 80% of the gameplay is spent on the main level, which is boring. And following Black Hole, the lack of multiball is a disappointment.

#58 3 years ago

Joker Poker

#59 3 years ago

Haunted House might not have the best rules, but it is an amazing spectacle and new people love it. Black Hole is just fun.

#60 3 years ago

Centaur; Fathom; Quicksilver; Stargazer; Seawitch.

#61 3 years ago

Gottlieb Circus is a great '80's pin as well as later Punk or Pink Panther both hard to find but a blast to play.

#62 3 years ago

Love the 80s solid state games. There were so many pins released during the 80s from Bally, Stern and Williams its crazy. I own Alien Poker, TriZone and Firepower and all great games. Id like to get a Gorgar, but also would like to venture out to grab a Galaxy and Blackhole.

#63 3 years ago

Bang for your buck, the most underrated early Stern in my opinion is Trident which can be had for under $1k in good condition. I've had mine for nearly 20 years and have no intent of ever selling it. Multiple scoring strategies, interesting bottom layout, controlled drop targets, two spinners.

Just make sure you adjust the tones on the SB-100 tones. The tones on mine have been pleasant since I got it. I only recently learned these were adjustable. The default tones are horribly annoying and likely drive many away from MPU100 games. I can't remember specifically, but maybe that's one reason I desperately sold my Magic many years ago.

#64 3 years ago

Love my Phoenix. Not that popular keeps the price low!

#65 3 years ago

I’ll vote for Blackout. Just picked one up a month or so ago and can’t stop playing it. Drop targets, great spinner shots and super cool Blackout light sequence. Fantastic game.

#66 3 years ago

Some of my personal favorites include...

Centaur for multiball stacking, hitting drops in order, plus captive ball inline drops and in/outlane switching.
    Blackout for orbit shots and spinners. Maybe the best flowing early solid state?
    Barracora for the intelligent rule set, as well as hitting drops in order and a good spinner.
    Flash Gordon for it's interesting yet brutal layout loaded with features.

Bally and Sterns had some killer artwork and mostly interesting layouts.
    Williams had awesome sounds, and although the artwork (which is still good) wasn't as good as Bally IMO, some may argue that they shoot just a little better in regards to flow.
    Gottlieb machines are 4th best IMO, but they still have a charm to them and I still like to play them.
    The best Stern machines will be harder to track down compared to Bally and Williams.

A majority of what I enjoy are Ballys. They had some real quality machines especially from 79 to 81. But you can't go wrong with nearly any game from that era.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from BuddyandBean:

I’ll vote for Blackout.

Blackout is a good one. A great pin at a value price.

#68 3 years ago

Seawitch has become my favorite game. Hard, fast and fun. I think Completist has one for sale. You can come up and play mine sometime if you want.

Fathom is cool. Mine needs a flipper rebuild and I think it will be much more enjoyable.

#69 3 years ago

It's toward the end of my desired time period, but what do you all think of laser cue?

#70 3 years ago

I’d stick with the advice already given. No need to think too far outside of the box. Keep it simple

#71 3 years ago

It's toward the end of my desired time period, but what do you all think of laser cue?

I really like laser cue.

#72 3 years ago

I don’t have as much time on Laser Cue as I do other early solid states , but the times I have gotten to play it I did enjoy it.

#73 3 years ago

I think that's a solid choice. Doesn't pop up too often. Good layout and typical kick ass Williams sounds. Theme is odd but tolerable.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

Bang for your buck, the most underrated early Stern in my opinion is Trident which can be had for under $1k in good condition. I've had mine for nearly 20 years and have no intent of ever selling it. Multiple scoring strategies, interesting bottom layout, controlled drop targets, two spinners.
    Just make sure you adjust the tones on the SB-100 tones. The tones on mine have been pleasant since I got it. I only recently learned these were adjustable. The default tones are horribly annoying and likely drive many away from MPU100 games. I can't remember specifically, but maybe that's one reason I desperately sold my Magic many years ago.

Agree with your Trident pick. Had mine for years. Another really good early
    Stern is SPLIT SECOND. Has an upper PF with flippers
    and some unique features found on few other pins.
    Steve

#75 3 years ago

The more I look at some of these older pins, the less I like how they sound and the more I like how they look. I've already got a bunch of old backglasses hanging on the wall.

17319e74f47643d01d15bc5a24044b23aa6e746d (resized).jpg17319e74f47643d01d15bc5a24044b23aa6e746d (resized).jpg
    #76 3 years ago

The more I look at some of these older pins, the less I like how they sound and the more I like how they look.

The key ingredient is how they *play* though. They look amazing, no doubt--but these games really shine when you get the whole experience.

If sound isn't to your liking, you could possibly install a custom sound package...though it will take quite a bit of work and technical expertise. I personally love the cacaphony of sounds when my lineup is getting played, but to each their own.

1 week later
    #77 3 years ago

My favorite game is Flash Gordon.

Early SS Williams: Firepower, Blackout, Black Knight, Alien Poker, Space Shuttle, Sorcerer.
    Early SS Stern: Meteor (no contest), Nine Ball.
    Early SS Bally: Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe.

I would say that Firepower is probably the best all around early SS pin choice at this point.
    It is a bargain and it is easy to find. Parts are available.

Don't overlook Blackout. Fantastic pin.

The other one I'd really look for is Space Shuttle...also usually a deal.
    Has many of the same shots as Firepower but is maybe a bit faster and has a bit more going on.

There are certainly other good games but these are at the top of my list.

I would skip Black Hole, simply because it plays fairly slowly, like an EM.
    I'm not really fond of Gottliebs from the late seventies and early eighties so maybe I'm not the right guy to listen to about that.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from ss-pinball:

I'm not really fond of Gottliebs from the late seventies and early eighties so maybe I'm not the right guy to listen to about that.

I wouldn’t overlook Joker Poker. It’s a great Gottlieb and that’s not just my opinion. It’s the opinion of many others. Also, a great value for the price.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I wouldn’t overlook Joker Poker. It’s a great Gottlieb and that’s not just my opinion. It’s the opinion of many others. Also, a great value for the price.

Honestly, I've never played it...In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild.

Lots of Gottlieb games from that time are simply too much like EMs for me.
    It feels like Gottlieb didn't want to change...they certainly ruled the roost in the sixties...tons of great pins from them from that time (my great grandmother worked for them assembling pinball machines in the early sixties).
    Bally, Stern and Williams games from the late seventies/early eighties are significantly faster than Gottliebs IMHO...though I would concede that the earliest SS Williams games (Flash, Hot Tip, Lucky 7) are also quite slow playing.

#80 3 years ago

I am on a classic stern kick, Big Game and Catacomb are fantastic. I have a dracula on the way and would pickup a meteor if a nice one popped up.

Embryon is my favorite bally

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Embryon is my favorite bally

I used to own an Embryon. I really wanted to like it but it didn't last with me. Hard for me to say that because I love Ballys.

What is it that makes it special for you? I felt like the playfield was a bit too open and it's features didn't tie together very well for me. Not crazy about captive balls being the main feature.

Artwork is killer. Maybe I will regret it one day. Favorite Bally widebody is Paragon with Future Spa in a close second. Want to play Hotdoggin' someday.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I used to own an Embryon. I really wanted to like it but it didn't last with me. Hard for me to say that because I love Ballys.
    What is it that makes it special for you? I felt like the playfield was a bit too open and it's features didn't tie together very well for me. Not crazy about captive balls being the main feature.
    Artwork is killer. Maybe I will regret it one day. Favorite Bally widebody is Paragon with Future Spa in a close second. Want to play Hotdoggin' someday.

Hot doggin is alright, But I think Paragon is the best Bally widebody. Embryon is neat but doesn’t really do it for me either.

#83 3 years ago

Sinbad. 4 flippers, 10 drop targets. Big score or little score, depending on hitting the single drop target. Cheap to find too, around 1000 to 1200. Add a ni wumpf cpu, and get skill shot, ball save and many more upgrades from original board

4 weeks later
    #84 3 years ago

My MMr is sale pending for a TNA + cash. That TNA will get me some early SS spirit, but still looking to pick up my first early SS. Right now I am heavily leaning toward Black Knight and will snag the first reasonable one near me if no deals on anything else show up. Exploring these early SS games is like getting to discover an entire new generation of games. They don't have all the bells and whistles of the latest games, but they are (almost) just as much fun!

#85 3 years ago

Exploring these early SS games is like getting to discover an entire new generation of games.

I love the early SS games, especially the Stern Electronics pins. I have a Seawitch and I don’t see it leaving my collection anytime soon. My buddy has a Meteor and we play the hell out of it. I’m hoping to also grab an Alien Star one of these days. A lot of good value options and they look amazing as well. All good stuff.

#86 3 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone! I am now the proud owner of a 1980 Williams Black Knight! I'm still getting used to the rules and it plays really slow compared to its neighbor, but it is sooooo much fun! Love the bell and the "speech". I gotta dial back the color LEDs a bit and may do a tiny bit of touch up but between TNA with it's early Solid State spirit and Black Knight... I feel like I am getting the full experience. The local arcade (Crabtown) has a few solid states to add variety too.

20201018_125644 (resized).jpg20201018_125644 (resized).jpg20201018_125657 (resized).jpg20201018_125657 (resized).jpg
    #87 3 years ago

I am now the proud owner of a 1980 Williams Black Knight!

Congrats! Looks awesome. Hope you enjoy! In my opinion, having at least one early SS is almost a must in any collection with at least 3 pins. Again, nice choice.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-solid-state-recommendations/page/2?hl=ss-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.