Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JimBest
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Early Gottlieb Flipper Games”

• Alice in Wonderland 2 votes
      40%
    • Ali Baba 0 votes
    • Olde King Cole 0 votes
    • Jack and Jill 0 votes
    • King Arthur... 1 vote
      20%
    • Cinderella 0 votes
    • Three Musketeers 2 votes
      40%
    • other (name in thread) 0 votes

(5 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221227_164153 (resized).jpg
    20221227_163931 (resized).jpg
    BFD802D0-69F2-49CB-B086-B25568F6B5D6 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

A friend of mine just picked up a Gottlieb "Alice in Wonderland".
    I've seen thousands of pinball machines over the years, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.
    Many of the "fairy tale" series games seem a bit scarce. "Olde King Cole", "Ali Baba", "Jack and Jill" don't come up often.
    Which game in this series do you think is the most scarce?
    Production numbers have a wide range, and only 1000 copies of "AiW" were produced, compared with 6500 copies of "Humpty Dumpty".
    Edit: Another one I don't think I've ever seen is "Three Musketeers".
    Only 800 produced.

#2 1 year ago

I just think they are cool looking games. I’ve really only played Humpty Dumpty at a show years ago. People need to understand these games are from the late 1940 and Gottlieb was learning about flippers at that time. Hopefully by Allentown we all will be able to play a nice example. Wink wink

BFD802D0-69F2-49CB-B086-B25568F6B5D6 (resized).jpegBFD802D0-69F2-49CB-B086-B25568F6B5D6 (resized).jpeg
    #3 1 year ago

A Lady Robinhood's the only game I had owned from this series, and had a chance
    to pick up another that was fairly local, so I'd say it's safe to say Lady Robinhood
    can be ruled out being the scarcest..

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

A Lady Robinhood's the only game I had owned from this series, and had a chance
    to pick up another that was fairly local, so I'd say it's safe to say Lady Robinhood
    can be ruled out being the scarcest..

Agree 100%. I've seen many of them. There was one set up for free play at the Saratoga show back in August.
    You had that really nice "King Arthur...". I hear it has gone to a new owner. Wish I could have nabbed it. Maybe only ever have seen two or three of those.

#5 1 year ago

I have a Humpty Dumpty and I picked up a Cinderella from an estate sale company a few years back. If I had the space I would have kept it. Art is really something cool. (It even has a pumpkin insert!) Someone out there must have the full collection, I'd love to see all 7 side by side.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

I have a Humpty Dumpty and I picked up a Cinderella from an estate sale company a few years back. If I had the space I would have kept it. Art is really something cool. (It even has a pumpkin insert!) Someone out there must have the full collection, I'd love to see all 7 side by side.

There was a collector in Connecticut who passed away a couple of years ago. He told me once that he had all of them set up side by side, all nicely restored. All but one.... "Alice in Wonderland". I don't know what became of them. His son is still in the hobby, but I hear he sold a lot of the games.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You had that really nice "King Arthur.

Yup, and a Friend along with 3 or 4 other collectors put their K.A. glasses together so
    bgresto had enough artwork to create a repro. He never knew I had a nice K.A.
    Although I wasn't so much into woodrails, one I should have kept was a Harvest Moon.
    Only 500 made. Shay wanted it so he could reproduce the backglass. I'm now into
    woodrails somewhat, and if I was back then, I wouldn't have made the trade..

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

Someone out there must have the full collection,

If early on I was into woodrails, 10 to 1 I'd have the Fairy Tale Series.
    Early on, with my small Pennysaver wanted ads, I was able to gather many
    pins, and had quite a bit of trading power. Outside of the Flipper Series, I
    also have 2 other EM metal rail complete series and I have to owe it to those
    early on Wanted Ads..

#9 1 year ago

Here's an odd one. It's a conversion of "Humpty Dumpty".

20221227_163931 (resized).jpg20221227_163931 (resized).jpg
    #10 1 year ago

A row of games at the 2009 Allentown show. Not sure if it was still PWC then, or Pinfest.

20221227_164153 (resized).jpg20221227_164153 (resized).jpg
    #11 1 year ago

Closest I've come is a friend once gave me an Ali Baba playfield and motorboard. Traded it off and it ended up getting sold on Ebay for $425. Seemed like a lot at the time. Back then it seemed like there were more collectors focused on completing a series (Flipper, Fairytale, etc.).

#12 1 year ago

For a video of the complete "Fairy Tale" series see Spanky Does USA Part 2:

(These machines are at about 6:30 into the video)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-gottlieb-flipper-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.