Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cue Tease Pop Bumper scoring (resized).jpg
    E8D3B015-9305-40E1-840F-D69B7D35A312 (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1625345331891 (resized).jpg
    C261AB6D-4341-44F3-8F06-9B866AA99072 (resized).jpeg
    Cue Tease Thumper Bumper lights (resized).jpg
    cue tease schematic 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Not too long ago, someone posted a Bally document that showed the start up sequence for early games. I should have saved it when I saw it, but I didn't, and now I can't find it- can anyone help?

My Cue Tease has developed an interesting problem. When the game is first turned on, the reset bank won't reset. If I reset it by hand (or, if I just reset the start relay) it will start up and play fine. I can usually play for as long as I like, though occasionally while I'm playing, I'll be unable to start a new game for the same reason. I've attached the schematic snippet for the reset bank coil. All of these switches are in the correct positions, and have been cleaned multiple times.

I'm a little perplexed, and open to any idea the hivemind might have to correct this.

cue tease schematic 2 (resized).jpgcue tease schematic 2 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1964-startup-sequence

I just found the startup sequence post. I assume my Cue Tease (1963) would be similar if not identical.

"The coin relay will energize the reset relay, through a game over relay switch (if your game won't start, try cleaning the contacts on the game over relay; a very common Bally problem)."

Hmm... I don't see that on the schematic, but I guess I'll start there.

#3 2 years ago

With slight hesitancy (don't want to jinx myself) I think I've got this one figured out. I cleaned the reset at start relays thoroughly (again) and it seems to have resolved itself.

Anyone know what controls the alternating of the pop bumper lights? One pair works great, the other flickers a bit. It's not the sockets, as the pair works perfectly when I apply power with a power supply, so I suspect a dirty switch in whatever alternates them, but there's no obvious alternator.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

The schematic does not include a Score Motor sequence chart so it's hard to know how the #3 cam switch stack behaves. Is it perhaps active for 1/2 turn and inactive for the other half turn?
    /Mark

Thanks Mark! I’ll go take a look in a bit and report back. I do have a score motor chart. I should scan it and send it to ipdb.

#6 2 years ago

That worked!

Score motor page attached for posterity.

C261AB6D-4341-44F3-8F06-9B866AA99072 (resized).jpegC261AB6D-4341-44F3-8F06-9B866AA99072 (resized).jpeg
    #9 2 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

Please do upload a good scan of the score motor chart.
    But what does that #3 cam look like? Typically a cam has a peak or a valley that briefly changes the switch stack at some point while the motor is turning. For this to work the switch stack would have to be able to remain in either position when the Score Motor isn't turning. That implies that it has a peak in one motor index/home/rest position and a valley in the other index position.

Correct- there’s a notch when it’s open, and a peak when it’s closed.

I don’t have a scanner at home, but when we return to the office, I’ll make a proper scan of it.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

To give you a laugh, this is your cue tease! Came out of a polish funeral home in New Brittain Connecticut.

Yup! Ed shared that with me some time back. Did you ever see the “after” pictures?

#12 2 years ago

I’ll take a picture so you can see what I’m talking about.

#13 2 years ago

So my cautious optimism was warranted. When I went downstairs to take the picture of the score motor, I decided to play another game… and it wouldn’t start.

I’m wondering if it might be a mechanical issue, as the start relay was unlatched. I latched it, game started fine. A couple of games later, it did the same thing… wouldn’t start a new game and the start relay was unlatched again.

On the plus side, the pop bumper lights are working perfectly.

Score motor photo- the “c” stack is at six o’clock in this photo. You can see the notch, and the little black bar that are the stop points.

E8D3B015-9305-40E1-840F-D69B7D35A312 (resized).jpegE8D3B015-9305-40E1-840F-D69B7D35A312 (resized).jpeg
    #15 2 years ago

>Bally later moved to a motor where the cams are mounted on a shaft that runs horizontally and spins 180 degrees at a time as shown at

Yup. My Gold Rush has that type of motor.

Any thoughts on the start relay unlatching? That relay stack isn’t easy to service, but I’ll tear into it if I absolutely have to.

#17 2 years ago

If the start relay is latched, it very briefly unlatches and the bank reset coil fires. If the start relay is not latched, the score motor just runs.

4B has already been cleaned.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

fwiw, it's usually easiest to unscrew the switch stacks on the early bally trip banks if you need to really get at the contacts or get an adjuster in to an adjacent stack.

With great trepidation, this is what I did. I *really* don't like disassembling switch stacks, but low and behold, there was one set of switches at the very bottom of the start relay stack that I hadn't been able to see, much less clean. Got that cleaned up, and played about 40 games... it re-started every time. So, fingers crossed, I think I *might* have this one solved.

I did notice an odd one while I was playing those 40 games... the "red" thumper bumpers (they aren't actually red... top right and bottom left for those keeping track at home) score 10 points when lit (as they are supposed to), but do not score 1 point when they are not lit. The "green" set works fine. I've stared at the schematic, and I can't figure that one out... I know it's not the switch, because it works for the 10 points. The relay on the bottom of the playfield energizes. There are three switches on that relay... one is the "at rest" position, the other is triggered when the EOS switch on the skirt closes... and the third is the scoring. Like I said, when it's lit, I can close it and it scores... when it's not lit, it's just dead.

It's not a major problem, but it is an annoyance, and one I'd like to resolve before I put the glass back in and call this machine done for a while.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

The two motor switches in red toggle the pop bumpers back and forth between 1 and 10 points.

Looks like it’s probably 1 switch… a make/break that toggles between the two positions. I’ll take a look at it in a bit and report back.

#22 2 years ago

I was right- a make/break switch that needed a little tweak- it certainly *looked* like it was touching!

Of course, the start relay issue cropped up again when I first started the game, but didn’t happen again in subsequent games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-bally-start-up-sequence-having-trouble-with-cue-tease?tu=drsfmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.