Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B8323EBE-0A6B-46AB-8213-5D23E873D19F (resized).jpeg
    C0958FA2-D98E-4386-B833-664B65719092 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN2901 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

Over the years I've owned a bunch of early Bally SS games and removed the steel guard around the transformer in the head. I have a box full because I never re-install them. After pulling one from a 1977 Eight Ball, I realized there are differences. These aren't shown in the part manuals. In the picture, #1 is out of Eight Ball. #2 in from a Paragon and #3 I'm not sure of. Does anyone bother to reinstall these? I'm doing a full cabinet repaint on a Paragon including inside the head so I'm going to install one back in a game for the 1st time.

DSCN2901 (resized).JPGDSCN2901 (resized).JPG
    #2 5 years ago

Yep. I tracked one down for weeks for my Mata Hari restoration

B8323EBE-0A6B-46AB-8213-5D23E873D19F (resized).jpegB8323EBE-0A6B-46AB-8213-5D23E873D19F (resized).jpegC0958FA2-D98E-4386-B833-664B65719092 (resized).jpegC0958FA2-D98E-4386-B833-664B65719092 (resized).jpeg
    #3 5 years ago

I like to have them on my games. I could use a couple of them though.

#4 5 years ago

Yes I reinstall them keeping it original

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Yep. I tracked one down for weeks for my Mata Hari restoration

Really nice work! Where did you get the backbox decals?

#6 5 years ago

They can be annoying specially when you drop a screw behind it but probably best to have the cage on. While working in a game I have leaned my arm onto an exposed transformer 230v lug while my belly was grounded enough through my shirt unto the side rail. Ouch

#1 is the type i am most familiar with found in Bally games like MH and Dolly Parton. Not sure about the others...

#7 5 years ago

Lots of exposed high voltage wiring. Yes, I would definately keep them. The early versions had exposed sharp edges hense the redesign with the folded over ends.

#8 5 years ago

#3 is what I have on my Space Invaders. Its under the playfield instead of in the backbox. I cleaned and painted it as part of my restoration on the game (not finished yet), but I will definitely keep it. Last thing I want is to drop a screwdriver or something across the transformer.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Really nice work! Where did you get the backbox decals?

Thank you!

This is a gold mine:

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Backbox_cards.htm

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from JDissen87:

#3 is what I have on my Space Invaders. Its under the playfield instead of in the backbox. I cleaned and painted it as part of my restoration on the game (not finished yet), but I will definitely keep it. Last thing I want is to drop a screwdriver or something across the transformer.

That explains where I got that one. I had a Space Invaders and sold it.

#12 5 years ago

Very cool. I've printed scorecards off that site but didn't realize all that was there. What type of decal stock did you use to print?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Very cool. I've printed scorecards off that site but didn't realize all that was there. What type of decal stock did you use to print?

I just went to Staples with the pdf and asked them to print them on card stock. I’m to new at this and didn’t think about certain sizes. So the guy asked what kind of card stock, so I said not as thick as a business card, something like a note card, haha. And he knew exactly what I meant. But anyway, as adhesion goes, I cut them out and then I got “permanent” double sided tape and just lined the back of the surface entirely and it turns the card stock into a sticker. I only needed to do that for a few things since most of the cards are stapled anyway. Worked great on the high voltage labels and coil wrappers. Hope that helps.

Edited:
    One thing I wish I would’ve done is used Manila paper instead of white after seeing Yves Arcane make the same labels. Something to consider.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-bally-ss-transformer-cages and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.