27C262B1-ECDC-4AF6-92BA-5B169E98F53F (resized).jpeg
29B7F9D3-FDC0-4896-AF1B-D01520A3270F (resized).jpeg
A086DA71-08E9-45C6-A032-C45B0497ECA9 (resized).jpeg
4ED5ACB7-A588-4B3C-A236-F73E6E1A9002 (resized).jpeg
BBE2F0EE-529E-4367-A0F6-3776A22CBCAD (resized).jpeg
5B4B97BC-1625-49AC-9BE1-C057683EB5C3 (resized).jpeg
1037086D-750C-46BA-B27D-B8693D630158 (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pauz21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So I have a strong feeling the MPU needs to be replaced as there are several issues but before I get to that point I want to figure out the power situation. All voltage readings are good except TP 3. It's to be 11.9v DC. (Range according to what I've found online is 10.5-13.3) It's testing 15 v dc.

1st... is that too high outside the range... and 2nd how do I solve that issue?

#2 8 years ago

The other question I have...Displays are all out but I'm not sure if that's a problem since it isn't booting. Perhaps they come up after the boot. My MPU is giving me the solid LED with no flashes.

However... wanted to ask a question about whether or not damage could be done by having them placed wrong. I just bought this machine and haven't moved any... however I was just looking at it tonight and all of a sudden it occurred to me that the 6 digit credit display had switched places with the player 2, 7 digit display. At some point, someone took them out and obviously swapped the two in error. I've switched them back but Im wondering the likely hood they're ruined.

#3 8 years ago

Update on the displays. I've reseated U2. displays start flickering almost like they're goig through a test mode through the number. Some play field inserts are flickering and the speakers are making all sorts of noise. Reseated all other chips. No change. Led still solid

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#LED_locked_on
LED locked on means the reset circuit isn't working. Check the pinwiki link above. It gives you some tests you can do to isolate it. A couple of these tests has reasonable solutions if you are handy with a soldering iron. Otherwise there are several techs on pinside that can fix it for you.

Reset working fine. Tested it by shorting u9pin 39-40 with the tester. Voltage goes from 5vdc to 0 when you short them and back up when you move to just pin 40.

#8 8 years ago

I'd bet chips are shot. No corrosion on this board. It came with 2 mpu's and one is corroded out. This one is good.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

LED stays on can have any number of reasons. Not just the reset circuit.
It just means that the program isn't running.
It can be the reset circuit, corrosion, but also some inverter IC used for selecting a ROM or so. E.g. U17.
Or the sockets of the IC's. I have encountered those reasons many times now.
With a logic probe the signals can be measured. Especially the VMA line and U17 or U18.

I'll have to check that out. Reset is fine. Corrosion is no problem. To me it's IC's, Sockets or the Logic probe you mentioned.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

don't forget shorts in the switch matrix (or whatever the hell they called it in early bally's) can cause a mpu to lock up. had 2 recently come across my bench and ruled out all the usual suspects, still wouldn't boot. started going through the switch strobes and found 1 shorted. Fixed that and we have a happy 7 flashes.

Seriously?? Driver board issues can stop a boot?

1 week later
#16 8 years ago

Bought a new MPU... (The Alltek ultimate mpu). instructions told me to test the 5vdc on the solenoid board. Checked out fine at 5.4vdc. Then it says to test the AC reading on the same test point. It's way high. Supposed to be no more than 150mv ac, I'm getting 10.4acv. So I replaced the C23 Cap as per the instructions. No change.

Kind of at a loss.
However... one thing I noticed. Checked Test points based on what Clay Harrells repair guide suggest however the one thing I noticed is that his guide talks about AS2518-18 / AS2518-49 rectifier boards. The one in my machine is an AS 2877-1. If I google that part number it doesn't show my game as being compatible in the list.
These are my voltages off the rectifier board test points.
Test point 1 - 6vdc
Test point 2 - 235vdc
test point 3 - 6.4acv
Test point 4 - 15.8vdc (this is little high...should be 10.5 - 13.3 vdc according to Clay's guide.)
Test point 5 - 44.7vdc
Anyone know anything about this board. Can I even use it? Any suggestions on how to clean up that ac voltage? Is bridge two the issue?
I'm scared to plug in this new alltek ultimate board until I know it's good.

#18 8 years ago

So. Long story short. My multi meter was screwed. Bought a new one. My voltages were fine all along. Hooked the new board up and it booted. No solenoid though. Figure the ground mods will fix this cause when I jumpered the tp1 and tp3 together on the solenoid driver board and I now had 5dcv on tp3 now. Coils worked. Only left flipper is out. I suspect a broken wire.

Lamp driver board looks to be littered with transistors bad. Most of the lights are either on solid or off permanently. Closing in on the finish.

#19 8 years ago

Update. Flipper is fixed. Sort of. Was getting no voltage to the left flipper. Wiggled some wires and I had voltage. So I resoldered them. The left flipper works now but it stutters. Like as if you were ranking on the flipper button really fast. Anyone have ideas on how to fix that?

As for the lights. I went through all of them replacing old bulbs etc and most of the lights are back. I probably have about 12 lights either out or not consistently lit but most of them are bad sockets. If I wiggled the bulb they'll work. As far as I can tell there are only two bulbs stuck on. And maybe 5 sockets that no matter what I do they're off. Could be transistor. Could be just a really bad socket. I suspect I've got maybe a half dozen transistors to replace. That's a far cry from probably 20 I was thinking last night.

Appreciate any input you can give on the flipper flutter.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Flipper stuttering might be an open circuit on the hold coil of the flipper solenoid.
With the machine off, open the end of stroke (EOS) switch on the left flipper and measure the resistance on the flipper solenoid lugs that the EOS switch is connected to. Compare it to the right flipper solenoid. Also take a measurement with the multimeter leads swapped around because the diode across the coil might affect the reading one way.
It should measure somewhere between 300-400 ohms depending on your model of flipper solenoid.

Thanks for the lead. I'll check it out tonight.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Flipper stuttering might be an open circuit on the hold coil of the flipper solenoid.
With the machine off, open the end of stroke (EOS) switch on the left flipper and measure the resistance on the flipper solenoid lugs that the EOS switch is connected to. Compare it to the right flipper solenoid. Also take a measurement with the multimeter leads swapped around because the diode across the coil might affect the reading one way.
It should measure somewhere between 300-400 ohms depending on your model of flipper solenoid.

Resistance seems low and it's very different from the other flipper. But if it was shorted wouldn't it be locked on?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Resistance seems low and it's very different from the other flipper. But if it was shorted wouldn't it be locked on?

With the good flipper and my meter set to 200 ohms I'm getting around 17 when measuring from lead to switch.

The bad one I'm getting maybe 3. Is that a bad coil? Bad diode?

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Flipper chatter is almost always a busted wire on the coil. It's one of the little tiny ones that solder to the lugs. A flipper coil has 2 sets of windings. Your hold winding has a break in it, probably where it connects to the lug. If not there, it's internal. Swap out the coil, and it will go away.

Beautiful. Going somewhere tonight where I have access to parts. I'll make a call tonight and pick up tomorrow. Thx.

#27 8 years ago

So I replaced the coil. It's all good. Inspected the old one and the low voltage wire was indeed broken. I replaced a few burnt transistors too.

It's now fully working with a few bugs. Has about 10 bad sockets that work sometimes. And the rollover in the frontier bonus saucer area isn't registering properly. Outside of that. It's another one back from the dead.

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

Back again. The new flipper coil worked for a week or so. My only issue as reported was a few bad sockets. Then out of the blue the flipper I'd just replaced the coil on stopped working. When I push the plunger in and hold the button it will hold the flipper in the up position. It just won't engage the flipper so it appears the low voltage wire is working but the high voltage isn't. Any ideas.

#30 8 years ago

My soldering isn't great admittedly but I don't think that's it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pauz21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-bally-solid-state-tech-help?tu=Pauz21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.