20210721_055959_HDR (resized).jpg
20210721_055801 (resized).jpg
ee1aac37dd28beb7a979a3301f35250aea7e7a79 (resized).jpg
6265b9c6a75239a4a93479907e9143a4a205c395 (resized).jpg
1a2668ce481940e9d454aa38b9cf7008cbbda2ba (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20210711_070624_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20210612_200919638 (resized).jpg
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

There is finally an option for replacement Gameplan MPU boards:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/build-your-own-gameplan-multi-mpu-board
I have some full kits available and can assemble one if needed. I’ve got one running in Sharpshooter and it works great.

Just realized the guys crapping on this project in favor of the limted Echo Lake boards have gone silent.

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Just realized the guys crapping on this project in favor of the limted Echo Lake boards have gone silent.

I think Echo Lake was done making boards before this project was even announced. Most people that complained were just frustrated having machines with totally roached MPU boards and no options for replacement. The only known viable option was the Echo lake and they used this announcement as an excuse not to make any more. Really that is all on Echo Lake since they should have cranked out more boards and not care if others wanted to make alternative boards.

This project never seemed to come to fruition and since there haven’t been any updates no one knows if it ever will. Hope that the issues get worked out and it eventually works.

In the meantime Pinball Basement supposedly made a small batch of Gameplan replacement MPU boards but those show out of stock and haven’t seen any posts from anyone that bought them. So not feedback if they actually work or if they have the latest component values to work in all games including Cyclopes.

At least there is an option for those that need a replacement MPU and it was opened up so anyone can build one. Those that want to get boards made and source all the components can. Or they can get parts, kits, or even an assembled board from someone who already has.

At the end of the day it’s just nice to finally be able to get some of the Gameplan machines running again.

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

At the end of the day it’s just nice to finally be able to get some of the Gameplan machines running again.

Exactly; Anyone even attempting this Herculean task should have been praised and encouraged.

#154 1 year ago

Has this come to fruition yet, and is is possible to obtain a board? I have a coney island in great shape with an eat up mpu2 board. No on seems to want to touch it, and I'd really like to get this machine going. It was a 30 year search for this machine, found one in a broken down warehouse that sat unattended for 25 years. Sent it to game boards USA, and he doesn't think it's worth messing with.

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

Has this come to fruition yet, and is is possible to obtain a board? I have a coney island in great shape with an eat up mpu2 board. No on seems to want to touch it, and I'd really like to get this machine going. It was a 30 year search for this machine, found one in a broken down warehouse that sat unattended for 25 years. Sent it to game boards USA, and he doesn't think it's worth messing with.

3 weeks later
#156 1 year ago

For those who have been patiently waiting all this time, I have great news. The prototype MPU board is fully functional in a Sharpshooter, albeit with many wires and modifications. I have newly edited boards being made now, expecting them to be here at the end of this month. My plan is to test the clean board, verify that it is OK, and order final "sell ready" boards. As you can imagine, supply chain is a real challenge, and many parts of the design have changed more than once to use parts that I can get. The plan is to supply the complete MPU board, with a combined EPROM, and a 90 day warranty. I will start with Sharpshooter, #SharpshooterII, and #Coney island since they are essentially tested, and complete the others as they are programmed and tested at least once per game. I am also asking #GamePlan to work with me on a license agreement to make this a GamePlan licensed product. And right behind that, I have the designs done for the lamp board, solenoid board, display boards, and power supply. Jim of Echo Lake has been a great encouragement and I appreciate his help. Hang in there, we are just weeks away now!

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

For those who have been patiently waiting all this time, I have great news. The prototype MPU board is fully functional in a Sharpshooter, albeit with many wires and modifications. I have newly edited boards being made now, expecting them to be here at the end of this month. My plan is to test the clean board, verify that it is OK, and order final "sell ready" boards. As you can imagine, supply chain is a real challenge, and many parts of the design have changed more than once to use parts that I can get. The plan is to supply the complete MPU board, with a combined EPROM, and a 90 day warranty. I will start with Sharpshooter, #SharpshooterII, and #Coney island since they are essentially tested, and complete the others as they are programmed and tested at least once per game. I am also asking #GamePlan to work with me on a license agreement to make this a GamePlan licensed product. And right behind that, I have the designs done for the lamp board, solenoid board, display boards, and power supply. Jim of Echo Lake has been a great encouragement and I appreciate his help. Hang in there, we are just weeks away now!

Wow, this is a pretty big update, and an interesting turn of events with things like working with Echo Lake, and Gameplan? I'll be curious to see what comes of this most recent post/info.

1 week later
#158 1 year ago

Folks, it is official, I have the latest MPU board prototype built and tested in Sharpshooter. There is one wee little bodge wire on it, but it is fully operational. My next step is to work out how to order 50 boards and the parts for 50 boards (I buy the chips separately), and get ready for web site release. I figure that it will take me about 3 weeks to get the boards and test them, and I will post here when they are up on the site. And drum roll please, after factoring in the cost and all of the time involved, I am going to venture in at $179 per MPU board. As mentioned above, that is complete with EPROM, NV memory, and a 90 day warranty. I have a list of 53 folks that I am directly emailing with status and availability, and if you want to be on that list, please email me at ceddy at nb dot net. Thanks for all of your patience.

20220619_205053 (resized).jpg20220619_205053 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#159 1 year ago

A quick update from Pittsburgh...
I have 50 assembled MPU boards on the way, and a box of ICs to go in them (Z80 CPU, CTC, EPROM, RAM go in separately). The goods will be here next week, and final test can begin.
I should have MPU boards for sale in 2 weeks.
And a big surprise.. I have arranged a license with Game Plan Inc., and the boards are now marked with the GamePlan name under license. A small part of the sale is paying to license the product.. thanks Roger!!

GamePlanMPU-logo.pdfGamePlanMPU-logo.pdf
#160 1 year ago

Well I am in up to my eyeballs in it now.
I have 3 MPU boards listed on the PinballReplacementParts shop, ready to ship (I must add your game EPROM to it first).
Sharpshooter, Sharpshooter II, Lizard, and Coney Island are ready (same software), and Super Nova is running on the bench and will be tested in a machine soon.
I have parts for about 3 more boards here, and any day now the rest of the ICs arrive, and then I can build/ship all 50.
Once I have the backlog of folks all satisfied, I will keep extra MPU boards in stock so that folks can order as needed.
And also once I catch up with MPU, many other boards for Game Plan are here and ready to test, so eventually you will be able to buy them all (sound??!!). On that subject, please tell me if you have any Game Plan machines that are missing more than the MPU.. which other boards are a high priority?
Spread the word.. GamePlan MPU boards are now in production.

IMG20220716170458 (resized).jpgIMG20220716170458 (resized).jpg
#161 1 year ago

A good updated lighting card for my coney island would be an awesome addition. Those look great, fantastic job

#162 1 year ago

Went to the website and could not find this board.

#163 1 year ago

Sorry, I just have it listed on Pinside right now.. the store is called PinballReplacementParts. The link on this site is https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1078-pinballreplacementparts/07030-game-plan-mpu-circuit-board. There are 5 on there at the moment, and parts arrived, so I will keep making them until everyone that wants one gets one..

#164 1 year ago

Also, I have to apologize to some folks.. the cost to send this board to Australia is now $310 for USPS Priority International Express.. yikes. So I turned off international for now. I am going to get the domestic orders worked out, and then see if there is something that I can do about international. Part of the issue is that Pinside just lists one amount for international.. not sure if there are more options there.

#165 1 year ago

Some updates on the MPU board..
First, I have lifted the restriction on which EPROMS can be fitted.. what I have been shipping has been working. They are not tested in all games, but everything is going well so far. If it does not run on the bench, I would not ship it.
Also, the international folks could not buy because (ahem) Pinside is not very good at international shipping. So in that case, please have a look at www.pinballreplacementparts.com in order to get the shipping to work.
Next, I also added it to Ebay, but at a higher price. Ebay is a drag to operate with, so it is a little higher there. I prefer folks come to Pinside.
And last, have a look at my other thread, as the lamp board LDU-2 replacement is done and tested.. and in the store.
Thanks much to those that have been buying MPU boards.. it takes the sting out of a 1.5 year effort!

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

Some updates on the MPU board..
First, I have lifted the restriction on which EPROMS can be fitted.. what I have been shipping has been working. They are not tested in all games, but everything is going well so far. If it does not run on the bench, I would not ship it.
Also, the international folks could not buy because (ahem) Pinside is not very good at international shipping. So in that case, please have a look at www.pinballreplacementparts.com in order to get the shipping to work.
Next, I also added it to Ebay, but at a higher price. Ebay is a drag to operate with, so it is a little higher there. I prefer folks come to Pinside.
And last, have a look at my other thread, as the lamp board LDU-2 replacement is done and tested.. and in the store.
Thanks much to those that have been buying MPU boards.. it takes the sting out of a 1.5 year effort!

Will this work in Captain Hook? I have lots of bizarre switch and lamp issues with my Echo Lake board in Captain Hook. Most the time it works but occasionally it’s just skipping mid-ball to the next player.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

Also, I have to apologize to some folks.. the cost to send this board to Australia is now $310 for USPS Priority International Express.. yikes. So I turned off international for now. I am going to get the domestic orders worked out, and then see if there is something that I can do about international. Part of the issue is that Pinside just lists one amount for international.. not sure if there are more options there.

Don't know if it helps but; if you pay retail, USPS First Class Mail to Australia for a 3 pound box is a little under $50

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Will this work in Captain Hook? I have lots of bizarre switch and lamp issues with my Echo Lake board in Captain Hook. Most the time it works but occasionally it’s just skipping mid-ball to the next player.

Let's give it a try. Go ahead and order one, and if it does not work we can gather info, and I will refund if it does not. Thanks..

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from coolwhs:

Don't know if it helps but; if you pay retail, USPS First Class Mail to Australia for a 3 pound box is a little under $50

For a while, we were restricted to Priority Mail International Express to send down under.. I assume that regular service has resumed?

1 week later
#170 1 year ago

Now for some allied leisure boards. Ton of us out here with those cocktail pins dying for replacements, and hope!

#171 1 year ago

I believe John Roberts of Johns Jukes is doing something there.. check with him?

#172 1 year ago

Ilikewires I just wanted to throw out a quick Thank You post to you for continuing to work on this, and make it available to everyone. Despite dealing with some negativity from a few people on the forums, you persevered, and the result is hopefully something that will help the hobby as a whole.

Thanks for all your efforts! I look forward to hearing the feedback from people who try out the boards.

#173 1 year ago

I bought the robot works board for my coney island and it was a fantastic build, no issues, easy install, everything worked as it should, and super clean. Absolute work of art. Well worth the money to see an old machine I found ruined in an abandoned warehouse, be cleaned up, and saved. Before and after pics. (Busted glass, full of dirt, total neglect, and forgotten for over 25 years)

20220406_152638~2 (resized).jpg20220406_152638~2 (resized).jpg20220618_190842 (resized).jpg20220618_190842 (resized).jpg
#174 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

I bought the robot works board for my coney island and it was a fantastic build, no issues, easy install, everything worked as it should, and super clean. Absolute work of art. Well worth the money to see an old machine I found ruined in an abandoned warehouse, be cleaned up, and saved. Before and after pics. (Busted glass, full of dirt, total neglect, and forgotten for over 25 years)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful game!

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

That turned out incredible. Great job. Good effort to save a game.

2 weeks later
#176 1 year ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

Let's give it a try. Go ahead and order one, and if it does not work we can gather info, and I will refund if it does not. Thanks..

Foolish me! I wanted too long and now they’re out of stock. Any idea when you’ll have more ready?

#177 1 year ago

any replacement boards for the cocktail 'Foxy Lady'? I just now stumbled onto this thread, and picked up a foxy lady, last week. The game actually plays, just no sound..I might just have to have that board rebuilt..idk much about these machines..but we really like the nostaliga of it!

1 month later
#178 1 year ago

Would be looking for one for Cyclopes. Mine still works but would like a backup for sure!

#180 1 year ago

If you did not get a Gameplan MPU board in my first production group, I have the second set of boards in stock, and listed on the store.

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

Right you are.. the playfield switches connector on the harness was corroded. Sigh.. it is fixed now.
That is hard to find.. had to use a logic probe and be strategic on deciding where to test and what to look for.
On the new MPU,
I have the score displays all working correctly.
I have the lamps all driven correctly.
I have the solenoids all under control.
The switches are all scanning, but something is still not right as test does not work right.
And the watchdog will be modified to work, my first attempt would reset and hold it in reset. It is just disabled at the moment.
Also, the sound board works right but neither new nor old MPU trigger all of the sounds.. only some. Again, must check harness block connectors.
I have the lamp board, solenoid board, display board, and power supply board all designed and in the cart to order protos, and the 6 digit display board is here and ready to test.
And Jim and I had a great conversation, he is a super nice fellow. I must meet him some time.

You need to be VERY CAREFUL about doing a remanufacture of the power supply board. I bought such a board from Marco's (and YES, I got the replacement board part number that this was advertised on to match my Old Coney Island) done by a guy who called his enterprise "Gulf", and the pins were all screwed up - as in I had to move a few of the pins and do some cutting of trace lines and put in a few jumps so that it would match the schematic. I turned it on with the power supply only, and it was blowing the 20A fuse for the general illumination; I was so disgusted by the whole process that I moved on to other pin stuff, but eventually I will get back to it (I presume that I have a short in one of the lamps).

I got one of Jim's MPUs, but of course, I haven't got to the point of testing it. I will be customer of any boards if any of my boards aren't working (I have 2 copies of each as I had bought a pair of Old Coney Island).

#182 1 year ago

I wonder with so many Game Plan pins getting a new life there will anyone making a remanufacturered playfield. Game Plan games are notorious for having work playfields and cupped inserts.

2 weeks later
#183 1 year ago

Installed my circuit board, it starts 6 blinks goes for a few seconds then starts over again and again and again....
At startup the soundcard plays its tunes and if I am quick I can play for a few seconds.
Now the psu and mpu is on the bench.
Some ideas?

received_689196629466320 (resized).jpegreceived_689196629466320 (resized).jpegIMG_20221102_202008 (resized).jpgIMG_20221102_202008 (resized).jpg
#184 1 year ago
Quoted from Uffe:

Installed my circuit board, it starts 6 blinks goes for a few seconds then starts over again and again and again....
At startup the soundcard plays its tunes and if I am quick I can play for a few seconds.
Now the psu and mpu is on the bench.
Some ideas?
[quoted image][quoted image]

This thread is for a completely different design and a different board.

Wrong thread for the board you are asking about. You want to post your question in this thread:

1 year later
#185 38 days ago

Hello

Will these be coming in stock again as I am in the market for a replacement mpu

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-announcement-of-a-game-plan-mpu-redesign/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.