20210721_055959_HDR (resized).jpg
20210721_055801 (resized).jpg
ee1aac37dd28beb7a979a3301f35250aea7e7a79 (resized).jpg
6265b9c6a75239a4a93479907e9143a4a205c395 (resized).jpg
1a2668ce481940e9d454aa38b9cf7008cbbda2ba (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20210711_070624_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20210612_200919638 (resized).jpg
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

I am showing progress on a new Game Plan MPU design early. The board is designed and the prototype built, but much testing must be done to be complete it.
I am calling it MPU-3. I am open to obtaining a license from Game Plan, but have not discussed it with them.
If licensing is arranged, I may be able to pre-burn a 2764 and include it ready to go.
It is meant to be very user friendly.. use ROMs, EPROMs, 2 types of 2732s, or a 2764. 3 jumpers and a CPLD do the work of re-arranging the signals.
It appears that I am able to build the board with all new parts, no NOS.. since the Z80 CPU and CTC are still available.
The original MPU shared logic driver chips to route to many different outputs, like lamps, displays, and switches. This design separates the output drivers. IE, if the chip for the displays fails, it will not take out the other outputs. All key chips are socketted.
The switch inputs are read much like a WPC with comparators.
There is surface mount technology on the board for misc parts and discretes, but only because it is less expensive to build that way.
I will press on to get it tested and on the market, please see www.pinballreplacementparts.com.
Chris~

IMG_20201223_201405875_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20201223_201405875_HDR (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Looks great. Will this be compatible with the cocktail tables. I have a Star Trip.
Would also be nice to see an updated lamp driver board, so we can run LEDs.
What do you think the price will be?

#3 3 years ago

I'm glad to see that you've gone the route of using existing individual game ROM chips. Echo Lake put everything on one chip so you can't swap existing ROMs from game to the board without buying the game-specific EL game chip. Their Cyclopes ROM has a bug that couldn't be fixed. So the board was basically useless.

I'm sure you know that Cyclopes has the ROMs in a B-A-C sequence top to bottom.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I'm sure you know that Cyclopes has the ROMs in a B-A-C sequence top to bottom.

And they are 2732's. A single 2764 won't be large enough for the game ROMs.

Sure would be nice to have another source for replacement boards instead of having to wait several years for another run of boards.

#5 3 years ago

I’d be in for one when they are completed.

#6 3 years ago

I didn't know Game Plan still existed. Where is their business office?

#7 3 years ago

Would be awesome if this would work in my Star trip which is suffering from severe corrosion on the MPU board ...

#8 3 years ago

1, it will likely work in cocktails, it is an MPU-2.
2, I must research MPU-1 to see if it can be used there. Per Pinwiki there is a difference in RAM, but no pics.
3, good to know that it is useful to use the old ROMs. It was much extra work.
4, good to know about Cyclopes.. I will study that, did not know.
5, I have spoken to Roger and Zack Sharpe in the past, super nice people, a license might be possible if they are receptive.
6, cost? This was a lot of work and will only sell a few dozen. So you know the answer. But I will do the best I can. My web site just pays for the costs of the products and web site.. definitely not a killer income stream.
Thanks!
Chris~

#9 3 years ago

Great news! Count me in for a couple.

#10 3 years ago

Not a lot of Game Plan games out there, but some fun titles for sure. There isn't a lot of aftermarket help for this small segment of the pin community either. A driver board would also be cool for Game Plan.
I have a Sharpshooter II over in storage. Fun game.
I also have a nice, spare and complete Coney Island playfield that might help put another game back together.

#11 3 years ago

I've been working on one as well... might hold off a little on finishing it as I'm curious about this one.

I've been working on the boards for Game Plan machines for a Sharp Shooter I have that's down.

Only needed the MPU and displays. I've finished the displays, though, so it hasn't been a total waste.

IMG_20201219_122836135 (resized).jpgIMG_20201219_122836135 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

I have the prototype MPU flashing up to the sixth flash.. but it stays on. It should go out after the last flash. That seems to indicate ROM issues. The ROM is a combined Sharpshooter 2764 EPROM.

#13 3 years ago

For the *64 you have:
2 to A12
23 to A11
22 to A15
20 to /MREQ
?

Seems like it's running the first part of the code as it's doing it's flashes. Maybe it's just not seeing higher addresses? Sounds like you're close though... further along that I am. I've been going through the schematic and working my way back... I've done back to the Z80 but haven't ran the nets fully for the RAM and a few misc. pieces. My layout is for ONLY a 2764 so I skipped a couple of steps and didn't bother with strappings.

#14 3 years ago

Almost.. /read to pin 22, and (A15=0) and (/mreq=0) into an OR gate to pin 20.

#15 3 years ago

if you need a beta tester i have a attila the hun i can test it in

#16 3 years ago

OK, so I have the board running the game, operating the score displays, operating the lamps, operating the switches, and operating the solenoids. But there are gaps in some of that, not all of it is working. This test game is a sharpshooter, and the sad part is that I have an original MPU that has some things that do not work, and my new board has some things that do not work. But that list is not the same! I just have to repair the game so that it all works, then I will know what things the new MPU does or does not do right. It might all be right at this point!
Close.. so close!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

OK, so I have the board running the game, operating the score displays, operating the lamps, operating the switches, and operating the solenoids. But there are gaps in some of that, not all of it is working. This test game is a sharpshooter, and the sad part is that I have an original MPU that has some things that do not work, and my new board has some things that do not work. But that list is not the same! I just have to repair the game so that it all works, then I will know what things the new MPU does or does not do right. It might all be right at this point!
Close.. so close!

Have you replaced all of the connectors? The Gameplan connectors are notorious for corrosion and almost always need to be replaced.

#18 3 years ago

I'd be looking at the connectors. Game Plan liked to use those .100" connectors and they are subject to corrosion.

#19 3 years ago

It's a really good news... Count me in for a couple.

#20 3 years ago

I hadn’t even heard of these till Jim at Echo Lake sent out his email last night.

Have you been active on the forum a long time? I was surprised but it’s great someone is making Game Plan boards. Their games are great and terribly unloved.

If anyone in this thread has projects they don’t want, I’m always looking for an Attila the Hun and Hook!

I’d probably have to really get more info before I buy a “gamepelan” MPU but count me in for 2 Game Plan MPUs! Lol

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Have you replaced all of the connectors? The Gameplan connectors are notorious for corrosion and almost always need to be replaced.

Also check the connectors where the head separates from the body. Should be a bunch of .084" or .093" connectors in different colored 12 or 15 pin square housings. I had a customer's Sharpshooter game where we had to replace ALL of these connector pins as these were completely corroded with the green goo and many of the lamps, coils and switches were intermittent or non-working.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Also check the connectors where the head separates from the body. Should be a bunch of .084" or .093" connectors in different colored 12 or 15 pin square housings. I had a customer's Sharpshooter game where we had to replace ALL of these connector pins as these were completely corroded with the green goo and many of the lamps, coils and switches were intermittent or non-working.

Right you are.. the playfield switches connector on the harness was corroded. Sigh.. it is fixed now.
That is hard to find.. had to use a logic probe and be strategic on deciding where to test and what to look for.
On the new MPU,
I have the score displays all working correctly.
I have the lamps all driven correctly.
I have the solenoids all under control.
The switches are all scanning, but something is still not right as test does not work right.
And the watchdog will be modified to work, my first attempt would reset and hold it in reset. It is just disabled at the moment.
Also, the sound board works right but neither new nor old MPU trigger all of the sounds.. only some. Again, must check harness block connectors.
I have the lamp board, solenoid board, display board, and power supply board all designed and in the cart to order protos, and the 6 digit display board is here and ready to test.
And Jim and I had a great conversation, he is a super nice fellow. I must meet him some time.

#23 3 years ago

Freaking cool, please keep up the effort!

#24 3 years ago

Will the lamp board be able to handle LED’S without flickering?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Kpkube:

Will the lamp board be able to handle LED’S without flickering?

Yes, I added resistors to prevent flicker.

#26 3 years ago

Would you be able to reproduce an Allied Leisure MPU ? There is already someone making a small board to replace the 6530 chips.

#27 3 years ago

I believe that John's Jukes is making the 6530?
I have to have a machine and boards to do a redesign. And I have some other MPU boards in the works that have to be completed first. I would do Allied.. but it would have to be later.
I do like the odd and obscure, it does not have to be big $$$.

#28 3 years ago

Great news, count on me too for an allied MPU

#29 3 years ago

Please count me in for one. Like to get it up and running

Keep me updated please

#30 3 years ago

If the MPU works in a cocktail(Foxylady) I am in for 1!

#31 3 years ago

this is great news! i have a couple of Pinball Lizard projects (i believe the MPUs are functioning but they need other work) and, as i'll be keeping one, i'd likely buy a replacement as a back-up.

#32 3 years ago

I’m in for 1-2.

#33 3 years ago

Would you be able to reproduce a Midway rotation VIII MPU. Polzin has stopped producing them, which is a shame...
Wanted one of these for ages, very rare machine to find in Europe. I finally managed to find one in Holland last week, and it should arrive home next Thursday.

#34 3 years ago

Not in the near term, I have my hands full with existing designs. WPC89 MPU is done now and final boards on the way. Gameplan MPU is close but not done yet. And part of the issue is that it is much easier (read not super super hard) to design a replacement when you have a complete working machine on hand. Which I do not for your Midway rotation. But it is not out of the question, but it would be much much later. Thanks!

#35 3 years ago

I'd like a back up for my atilla the hun if this is just a one time run, and a coney island

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

Not in the near term, I have my hands full with existing designs. WPC89 MPU is done now and final boards on the way. Gameplan MPU is close but not done yet. And part of the issue is that it is much easier (read not super super hard) to design a replacement when you have a complete working machine on hand. Which I do not for your Midway rotation. But it is not out of the question, but it would be much much later. Thanks!

Thank you very much for your feedback, I understand your position. It's true that it's easier to have the pinball machine on hand ... but do you ever know? I do not despair...

#37 3 years ago

This is freakin Cool!

Cyclopes will live!

#38 3 years ago

I was also working on a new MPU2 PCB. Not to steal the thread, but I needed to tell you all.
It is a direct clone which uses all of the chips off of the original. I use Kicad with the original schematic as a background for the schematic. I then use Kicad for a background for the PCB. Many small problems; library symbols, linearity, orthogonality, transparency, and no silkscreen. 98% schematic done. 35% layout done. I had an S100 Z80 system back in the eighties which used 8 inch flops and a TV Benny

DSC_4741 (resized).JPGDSC_4741 (resized).JPGDSC_4743 (resized).JPGDSC_4743 (resized).JPGDSC_4744 (resized).JPGDSC_4744 (resized).JPGDSC_4745 (resized).JPGDSC_4745 (resized).JPG
#39 3 years ago

If you are going through the trouble of reproducing the board, why not incorporate the changes needed to utilize modern components? Some of the chips are very difficult to find.

#40 3 years ago

Glad to see gameplans get some love. Some fun games, but due to the lack of support they hold very little value outside of a handful. More aftermarket should change this.

1 month later
#41 3 years ago

Any update on this project?

#42 3 years ago

On my end, still beavering away.. my board runs EPROM code, but the CTC chip does not generate any timing (a zero cross interrupt and a 2.5mS interrupt are supposed to be generated on the board). And yet the code is sending bytes to the chip. That is where I am at the moment. Solve that and I should be on the downhill slide.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

On my end, still beavering away.. my board runs EPROM code, but the CTC chip does not generate any timing (a zero cross interrupt and a 2.5mS interrupt are supposed to be generated on the board). And yet the code is sending bytes to the chip. That is where I am at the moment. Solve that and I should be on the downhill slide.

Are they using vectored interrupts? One of coolest features in the Z80 systems.

#44 3 years ago

Yes, you can see in the machine code that it sets interrupt mode 2. And the vectors are addressed in the area of 17xx hex.
Then when the CTC generates an interrupt, it exchanges signals with the CPU, and places a vector on the bus. The vector is added to 17 and then the CPU accesses the vector.
These vectors are at the highest area, as most Gameplan games have 3ea 2716 ROMs, or 0000h through 17FFh.

#45 3 years ago

count me in for one

1 week later
#46 3 years ago

Yes; I'd like 2 please.

#47 3 years ago

Nice work! Impressive skills. Shout out to echo lake, my cocktail pin plays today because he made boards.

#48 3 years ago

Just picked up a Gameplan project pin today. Can't wait to buy one of these MPUs.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from barkermarker:

I was also working on a new MPU2 PCB. Not to steal the thread, but I needed to tell you all.
It is a direct clone which uses all of the chips off of the original. I use Kicad with the original schematic as a background for the schematic. I then use Kicad for a background for the PCB. Many small problems; library symbols, linearity, orthogonality, transparency, and no silkscreen. 98% schematic done. 35% layout done. I had an S100 Z80 system back in the eighties which used 8 inch flops and a TV Benny
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have you had any PCB boards made? I’d like to be able to get at least the blank PCB for an MPU2 to build. Could move over any of my existing chips that are ok. A board that matches the original would be ideal. Better than messing with my battery damaged board.

#50 3 years ago

Sorry Robotworkshop, no blank boards are planned. The new board is much different than the original, mainly to use as much available parts as possible.. still working away at it, lost a week due to vacation.. but I am close.

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-announcement-of-a-game-plan-mpu-redesign/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.