(Topic ID: 78147)

EAG London,pins and chat with Gary

By poibug

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

met talk.jpg
    WP_20140122_002.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poibug.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

So,I was at the E.A.G yesterday in London,bit of a trek but worth it.

As usual,and expected, a plethora of redemption games,fruit machines,crane machines,kiddie rides,but thankfully a few pins as well.

There was a Pinball Heaven/JJP stand there - with no Jack.He wasn't there yesterday,hadn't been there previous days,and don't believe he is there today either.
    On the stand were two new normal WOZ,and one 75th Anniversary.
    WOZ aint really for me but IMO the red 75th looks better - tho the best would be the red version but with the green backglass/lcd surround,as the red don't look as good,others commented the same.
    There was a ST one one stand-Wesex.

Gary Stern and Shelly Sax were there on the Electrocoin stand,along with two ST pro's and an AC/DC Luci.
    I love AC/DC and am still humming and ha'ing about getting one and to me I think Luci looks the best.I like the extra Luci-esque pictures on the lower playfield,tho for me would have prefered just them,and they got rid of "flame man",as i think that just looks poor.Only other negatives for me re Luci is the bleed thru on the translite,and the blue marks on Luci's shoulder on the cab,at first I thought it was cab damage but now realise it is paort of the artwork.
    Would still if going the new route get a Luci tho.

As I was there I wanted a chat about Metallica,and wanted to put forward my views to Shelley and Gary,but tried to be constructive.Explained howw I have a few Sterns-LOTR,FG,MOP-NIB,RBION-first ever NIB,also until recently had a SM and that I also have a GnR.
    I basically stated how disappointed I was that after over 6months of buying an LE for approx $10,000 I still have features listed on the playfield that don't exist,I was bothered how the code still aint done.
    I stated how bad it would be,as an example if I was In a, say Ford Mustang with Gary and I asked him to put the aircon on,and I tried to connect my music player to the aux socket only to be told"they don't work-yet".
    But more importantly VERY dissappointed at the poor communications from Stern,re info on the magnet problems,and also info re software.I mentioned how many others in the community felt the same.
    I quoted the facts their only comms re code was on their facebook page on Jan 2nd.
    Gary then said how the community would be upset if they had said we will release so and so on Jan 16th,but if they date went past that we would be up in arms.
    I reiterated the point,that it does not have to be ultimately specific with set in stone dates,as I know how things change but in the 21st century with their facebook page,web site etc,their communications is very lacking.I pointed out how yes,at times companies don't like admitting they made a mistake,but I felt that it is better to admit them rather than to say nothing at all.Gary stated that he communicates to the community by going to shows,pinside hq etc,and I stated IMO that was not enough,it is so easy for them to post relevant info on their sites without having to fly somewhere.

I went on to say that I for one,would never preorder another Stern again due to lack of modes/communication,and knew of others that were thinking the same,and I mentioned how I don't think that would be good for Stern as Pinheads would buy a high percentage of the LE titles.
    He did,around that point write in his little black book-better communications.

In more of the conversation he admitted the "fooked up" with Metallica,and going forward things are to change.Stating they now have manpower in place for three projects - three designers-Borg,Ritchie and Trudeau - NOT Gomez as he overseas not designs,and how they have three main software guys - Lyman,Ropp and Waison.
    Also stated there are also junior software guys too.
    He had to go as someone was waiting for him so I asked "are you working on code for Metallica",he said "be paitient my friend be patient".
    I then said(prob more sternly)"Gary I do not expect a date,please just answer the question,are you working on Metallica code,yes or no?"

"Yes we are" he said - took a lot of getting out,but felt it was good to here from him.

I thanked him and Shelly for thier time,and off I went.

Sorry for this being a long post,and to some(most?)there is no new info here,just wanted to let fellow pinheads know he may be interested

poibug

WP_20140122_002.jpgWP_20140122_002.jpg
    #18 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Stern needs to acknowledge their business has changed once the LEs were added to their lineup. Home owners need more care and communication.

He sorta did.He did say how it's more complicated as they have numerous B.O.M due to the different versions,more than one kind of rules etc.
    Admittedly I never said what was on my mind-just make a normal version and a bling version.That is one thing JJP have right.

#29 10 years ago

Mate took the photo as I was talking

met talk.jpgmet talk.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poibug.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eag-londonpins-and-chat-with-gary?tu=poibug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.