6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Gryszzz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    Cannonball_Run_Doctor_Medi_Van_Jack_Elam_Dom_DeLuise (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

It's getting to be time to buy a new pin hauler and I see a couple local ambulances I might be able to grab. Does anyone have experience gutting the back of an ambulance? Is this a good idea? Seems like the perfect utility vehicle. I've never driven one so i have no idea if this is a dumb move. I also have no clue what they are worth. But, if I'm running late I can hit the lights

#2 6 months ago

Get a hold of Pugsley here on Pinside.
    He brings his to Chicago Expo each year, and I've helped get machines in & out a couple times all ok.
    Plus he uses it to taxi folks to Pinball Life during Expo too.

#3 6 months ago

You might be able to gut the insides out, but if I remember right the height for loading could be a pain. When we would replace the cot in the back the loading height/floor was waist high or so. That and there was usually a significant step along the back to contend with. Depending on the weight of the game you might need to eat your Wheaties!

#4 6 months ago

I think it would be a real pia to get pins in. Maybe just a newer version of your pin hauler now would suffice.
    I thought it was really easy loading when you were here. Perfect height and slid right in.
    My .02
    -Mike

#5 6 months ago

No opinion on if this is a good idea.
    It is, however, a very cool idea, in my opinion.

#6 6 months ago

And if you repurposed an ambulance stretcher to move the pins around it would be even cooler. Those things lower to the ground, have straps, lock into the ambulance.

#7 6 months ago

I have a friend who did exactly this several years ago for the purpose of transporting r/c helicopters and planes, and it turned out to be one of those things that is better in theory than reality. It was harder than he expected to gut the interior and the finished product wasn’t as spacious as expected.

Also, ex-emergency vehicles are mostly used-up by the time they are sold/auctioned, regardless of odo mileage. This applies to ambulances in particular because they spend LOTS of time idling and are very frequently driven hard and in short bursts.

I don’t know what your budget is, but you can easily find 8-10 year old E-250 cargo vans in good condition and mileage for less than 10k (these vans are fairly bulletproof and typically good for 300k+ miles). Ford Transit would probably also work great and can be had for similar money, but I don’t know if they are ultimately as durable as the Econolines.

#8 6 months ago

Doesn't it only get about 10mpg? And wouldn't a retired ambulance already have a high number of miles on it?

#9 6 months ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I think it would be a real pia to get pins in. Maybe just a newer version of your pin hauler now would suffice.
    I thought it was really easy loading when you were here. Perfect height and slid right in.
    My .02
    -Mike

ahhh the logical voice of reason. Deep down I know you're right. But it hurts.

Quoted from JayDee:

And if you repurposed an ambulance stretcher to move the pins around it would be even cooler. Those things lower to the ground, have straps, lock into the ambulance.

That is an awesome idea!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

And wouldn't a retired ambulance already have a high number of miles on it?

You've seen my van right?

All you guys are right I think. My primary motivator was the novelty and it's probably not worth it. I was seriously considering bidding on one at auction.

I really, really wanted to re-enact scenes from Cannonball Run though.
    Cannonball_Run_Doctor_Medi_Van_Jack_Elam_Dom_DeLuise (resized).jpg

#10 6 months ago

Get it! Turn on the siren and lights and get the pins faster than everyone else.

#11 6 months ago

If you can find one a vintage wagon style ambulance might be better suited to hauling pins.

pasted_image (resized).png

Or you can go the grim route and use a hearse.

#12 6 months ago

Pugsley is the Expo party bus captain. You can play a machine while he's driving.

#13 6 months ago

His has a PA on it too. Let's see ya take it to South Bronx and fuck with people. Make sure you video your last day on earth please.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 142.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 49.00
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside