38 days ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by too-many-pins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    Capt Fantastic transformer (resized).jpg

#1 38 days ago

Hey guys! First post here. I acquired a captain fantastic machine the other day and I'm fairly certain the transformer is toast. I'm getting 110 to it and 0 out of it. I removed all fuses to isolate if and still got 0 from it. Am I correct in my thought that it is in fact dead? And, how would I go about getting a new or refurbished one?

#2 38 days ago

That does sound like it's dead, but are you sure you're measuring correctly? Can you post a picture of how you're measuring, etc?

#3 38 days ago

Using a fluke mm. I'm getting 0 off of every leg I'm going across. I'm not home right now unfortunately. Still thinking about it though. Driving myself crazy. I have no power anywhere when I flip the switch to turn it on.

#4 38 days ago

The full schematic is on ipdb.org, but this part might help:
    Capt Fantastic transformer (resized).jpg
    Blown transformers are very uncommon. With the game UNPLUGGED, can you measure any resistance in the primary winding between lugs 1 and 3 (assuming you have the 115 volt transformer)? How about the secondary windings (between lugs 2-8, 4-8 and 8-10)?

/Mark

#5 38 days ago

Yep that's what I was going off of. I measured every spot on there and came up with nada. It's the 115 setup. I thought that maybe I could have power draw so I pulled all fuses and check the transformer again. Still nothing.

#6 38 days ago

You did measure for 115VAC on the transformer input lugs? It sounds from your previous post that you see nothing anywhere and that something is pulling the 115VAC down to 0 on the input lugs.

#7 38 days ago

Yep. I have power going to the transformer but nothing at all coming out. I thought maybe it could be possible I had something pulling it down but even after removing all fuses, still 0 coming off the transformer.

#8 38 days ago

As Mark questioned, can you get a resistance measurement on the primary 115VAC winding and the output windings identified by Mark. Make sure the machine is unplugged from the wall.

#9 37 days ago

43k ohms on the 115 side. Jumps all over on the output side. up in the hundreds though.

#10 37 days ago

Rechecked it. Was on a dirty spot apparently. I'm getting 17k on the 115 and 20k on the output side. I'd say she's toast

#11 37 days ago

Question is now do I get a new one?

#12 37 days ago
    Quoted from Sparkplug1:

Question is now do I get a new one?

Don't forget the 2nd (and very important) question: Did something in the pin go bad, causing the transformer to fail? First check would be to look at the fuses for proper ratings (i.e. Did someone put in a higher rating fuse, causing the xformer to fail instead of blowing a fuse when something went south?).

Toasting a replacement transformer would be an expensive lesson learned... As MarkG mentioned above, transformers have a low failure rate. They are just wires and a core...not much to go wrong. Not impossible tho.

#13 37 days ago

I'm not sure of the life it has had. Bought it from a guy who said it didn't power on. I have one fuse that has been replaced with a 15A. Should be a 10A

#14 37 days ago

Which version do you have? EM or SS?

#15 37 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Which version do you have? EM or SS?

"Capt. Fantastic" is an EM only. Unless it's the dopey home version.

#16 37 days ago

PM me tomorrow or Monday and I'll see if I happen to have one around. That is a fairly common transformer in Bally machines so I might have one in the garage.

#17 37 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

"Capt. Fantastic" is an EM only. Unless it's the dopey home version.

Only asked that since ipdb.com showed both versions. But after revisiting, ipdb doesn't show any qty for the SS version. So I bet your comment is right. Just double checking!

#18 36 days ago

This is one of the fuses that protects the transformer. If it was 15A, then there is a chance that the transformer might have been damaged if the pin had a short somewhere. So was that the fuse that should have been 10A?

I did notice the other two are 15A. Were those correct?

#19 36 days ago

With the pin off and unplugged, remove the fuse and use an ohm meter to measure the resistance between these two points.

I don't know what would be a good reading, but someone on Pinside should have an answer.

#20 36 days ago

Can you post a photo of this transformer and any nameplate info? Might help finding a replacement...

#21 36 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Can you post a photo of this transformer and any nameplate info? Might help finding a replacement...

Numbers are right on the side of the transformer (on the paper wrapper)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 18.95
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 85.00
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside