(Topic ID: 197765)

Dwight Sullivan crazy insert flashing

By FalconPunch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you like the way inserts flash in your face in Dwight Sullivan games?”

• Yes, I love it! 24 votes
      38%
    • No, HATE IT! 31 votes
      49%
    • I don't care 8 votes
      13%

(63 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gels (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

Firstly I would like to say I am grateful for anyone who works in the pinball industry that is delivering fun. This isn't really a rant, I just want to see what people think.

I've noticed that all of the 3 latest Dwight games flash inserts like crazy when you get jackpots.
    I always play pinball in the dark so its frustrating to me. I always lose track of the ball.

Game of thrones when you hit all jackpots (you can turn down in settings)
    Ghostbusters in multiball, and when you get an extra ball (cannot turn down or off in settings)
    Star wars as well I believe, I haven't played it enough

The frustrating thing for me is you can have really cool light shows without blinding people. See Metallica for example. Or Tron.
    GI is hidden by plastics, and when they flash you can still see the ball because the light isn't aimed towards your face like with inserts!

The reason for the thread is that I played Junkyard on site this weekend, and they had upgraded (or downgraded for some) the machine to super bright LEDs. When you hit the ball in the middle of the playfield you simply cannot track the ball because the ALL inserts pulse like crazy for so long.
    This machine was made in the 90s. The same guy is still doing the same thing.

Am I the only person that thinks it can be done better? Surely someone has told Dwight that they cannot see the ball.
    Or is everyone playing with the lights on?

#2 6 years ago

he can be out there with the lights but horses for courses. Nice to have in a line up but I guess 3 Dwight pins in a row it would get a bit much. I personally don't have a problem with his programming.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Surely someone has told Dwight that they cannot see the ball.

I kinda think that's the point. (Although you really can see the ball, it's just that your eyes have to adjust.) It seems to me that he's doing a riff on AFM's strobe multiball. It's supposed to be challenging. You can always just time out the lighting effects by holding the ball (like on Winter Is Coming hurry-ups on GOT), but then you won't advance the game.

The light show on SW that you're referring to is during Escape from Boba Fett - the strobing lights are supposed to make it difficult to concentrate and distract you from the series of shot you're supposed to make.

I suppose he could put in an option to turn the lighting effects off altogether, but that would make the games lose some serious character and change the risk/reward setup of certain modes.

#4 6 years ago

I think this is a legit question. I get a lot of complaints from visitors to my gameroom that Ghostbusters is just "too damn bright". The effects are awesome, but a bit too much. Or maybe we're all just getting old?

But I'm not sure that this is only with Dwight's games. For example, Hobbit can be pretty blinding as well.

I wonder if manufacturers include a "dark room test" in the development cycle? Where they test the game in total darkness to make sure it looks good in arcades and game rooms. Surely Stern are aware of the Ghostbusters being too bright? Everyone at TPF was mentioning this when they launched the game.

I keep hoping for some kind of brightness control in the menu for recent (LED) games to tone it down a notch.

#5 6 years ago

One of the reasons I sold my ghostbusters. You work to start a multiball and the whole time it's strobing at you and you can't get anywhere. I love light shows, don't get me wrong but it's just over the top and ridiculous on ghostbusters.
    Probably wouldn't buy another game with him programming it.

#6 6 years ago

I have a simple solution for both my GOT and GB in my dark arcade:

I added spotlights to the slings, aimed at the main playfield, and powered by the coin door light so they are always on. This adds a good wash of light across the playfield, so when the inserts flash they don't strobe with that intense alternating contrast. It makes all the difference, and I can enjoy the intense insert light show without getting blinded.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I think this is a legit question. I get a lot of complaints from visitors to my gameroom that Ghostbusters is just "too damn bright". The effects are awesome, but a bit too much. Or maybe we're all just getting old?
    But I'm not sure that this is only with Dwight's games. For example, Hobbit can be pretty blinding as well.
    I wonder if manufacturers include a "dark room test" in the development cycle? Where they test the game in total darkness to make sure it looks good in arcades and game rooms. Surely Stern are aware of the Ghostbusters being too bright? Everyone at TPF was mentioning this when they launched the game.
    I keep hoping for some kind of brightness control in the menu for recent (LED) games to tone it down a notch.

I am only 32! I still have 20/20!

I think the Hobbit only does crazy when you get a free game, or extra ball. Jackpots are very tame. Skip forward half way through this video to see -

You are probably right though. If these games are coded in an office environment where there is a big fluro in the room then they wouldn't notice how blinding it can be.
    Strobe multiball, and Neon Multiball is only cool when you have all the lights off!

Quoted from frolic:

I have a simple solution for both my GOT and GB in my dark arcade:
    I added spotlights to the slings, aimed at the main playfield, and powered by the coin door light so they are always on. This adds a good wash of light across the playfield, so when the inserts flash they don't strobe with that intense alternating contrast. It makes all the difference, and I can enjoy the intense insert light show without getting blinded.

Isn't there an option in the menu for GOT where you can tone it down?

#8 6 years ago

Game of Thrones Pro - Winter is coming. I complained about it a lot. Some people found that to be a cool thing that felt like winter, but I found it blinding. So I 100% avoided playing it. Which meant I would NEVER play Winter had Come multiball. I think I played it twice while I owned the game, and my entire objective of that multiball was to catch one ball, and then dump the rest of them to end the multiball. Earning an extra ball meant I needed to literally look away from the game.

Was it over the top? Well it definitely contributed to my dissatisfaction with the game. Having to avoid modes and multiballs because of lights made it a bad game for me.

#9 6 years ago

I was thinking of putting some gels under the inserts of these clear triangles next to the slingshots. They are the main "blinders". I would hope these would tone down the brightness. Green, blue or purple could even look cool.

Gels (image borrowed from Mezelmods website)Gels (image borrowed from Mezelmods website)

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I was thinking of putting some gels under the inserts of these clear triangles next to the slingshots. They are the main "blinders".

They have DUAL SMD LEDs with a clear cap under CLEAR inserts
    I believe its not a light board. You can just take them out and put a single SMD led in there, or maybe a 10mm LED

Since its clear though and so close to your face the GEL might be a better option

#11 6 years ago

I totally agree, when i play the new Stern games they blind me. Especially GB and GOT.
    If you put LEDs in a Sega or Data East they act the same. It really hurts my eyes.

#12 6 years ago

I think the HORDE light on TWD might be worse than GB and GOT both. I know GOT can be turned down but I'm not sure about GB and TWD?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Isn't there an option in the menu for GOT where you can tone it down?

There is and it helps, but my solution also improves on it, and definitely helps with Winter is Coming.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the HORDE light on TWD might be worse than GB and GOT both. I know GOT can be turned down but I'm not sure about GB and TWD?

I added spotlights to my TWD as well.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Game of Thrones Pro - Winter is coming. I complained about it a lot. Some people found that to be a cool thing that felt like winter, but I found it blinding. So I 100% avoided playing it. Which meant I would NEVER play Winter had Come multiball. I think I played it twice while I owned the game, and my entire objective of that multiball was to catch one ball, and then dump the rest of them to end the multiball. Earning an extra ball meant I needed to literally look away from the game.
    Was it over the top? Well it definitely contributed to my dissatisfaction with the game. Having to avoid modes and multiballs because of lights made it a bad game for me.

Well, the faster you hit the encessary shot the quicker the strobing goes away..its more annoying timing it out really

#16 6 years ago

I agree with OP.

I have largely stopped playing the mentioned games due to the lights. Great effects and great games but in all cases, I cant handle the LED blinding.

#17 6 years ago

I LOVE Dwight's light shows... It really makes the game come alive and adds personality. Think about the cool effects of ST Klingon Multiball start or the Winter is Coming in GOT. Those stand out to me and the game would be less without them. Part of what I play pinball for is to see the cool light shows. Keep it up Dwight!!!

#18 6 years ago

The setting to reduce intense lighting effects does work.

#19 6 years ago

My problem with GOT & GB is how often the GI is either strobing or off, that's what really screws with visibility for me. Especially if the GI is off when an spastic insert show is running. Much like with Frolic's spotlight solution, if the GI was mostly left alone (except for in places where you don't have an active ball you can lose anyway) it wouldn't be as bad.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Game of Thrones Pro - Winter is coming. I complained about it a lot. Some people found that to be a cool thing that felt like winter, but I found it blinding. So I 100% avoided playing it.

Quoted from Edenecho:

Well, the faster you hit the encessary shot the quicker the strobing goes away..its more annoying timing it out really

I agree that WIC on GOT Pro is too blinding. I might try to hit it once, but if I miss I will just catch, hold it, and wait. I love the game, but that one thing just annoys the heck out of me.

#21 6 years ago

Not sure how to rate this in general. Every game is different and haven't played many games in the dark. I actually prefer to have some light in the room at home. I do like a bright light show and love when the game blows up at critical parts in the game. I get that some people don't like things that bright and I have to admit it can be frustrating losing track of the ball on a good game because of flashers. However, I much rather have a bright game that a dimly lit one. Seeing a dimly lit game with incandescent bulbs on location depresses me. Putting in leds and getting all the colors to pop just adds so much to any game.

#22 6 years ago

I think GOT has one of the best light shows ever. It's crazy strong and in your face. Love it!!!

#23 6 years ago

I'm a huge fan of the light shows in GOT, GB and SW! Different strokes. As mentioned you can definitely dial them down in settings or add an always on spot.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I'm a huge fan of the light shows in GOT, GB and SW! Different strokes. As mentioned you can definitely dial them down in settings or add an always on spot.

Exactly - Change the settings. Why does everything on Pinside needs to turn into a whine-fest?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Exactly - Change the settings. Why does everything on Pinside needs to turn into a whine-fest?

It's a discussion.
    As mentioned there are no settings in Ghostbusters to tone down the multiball light intensity.

#26 6 years ago

And for location players, changing the setting isn't an option

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

And for location players, changing the setting isn't an option

Understood. Lighting effects can help create a more intense and dramatic atmosphere. I think Dwight is the best in the business at doing that.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Understood. Lighting effects can help create a more intense and dramatic atmosphere. I think Dwight is the best in the business at doing that.

Poll results say otherwise at the moment.

#29 6 years ago

I played GOT - I would need to wear sunglasses to play this game on a regular basis as the inserts are not screened in a way to diffuse the leds.

KISS is way better as inserts are not see through.

Light shows are great but not when you can see the led bulbs through inserts....

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

No really, 50% like it or don't care either way. 90% of pinside seems to hate every game ever made so I'd say satisfying half the crowd is pretty good.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Forgot to vote. Done!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

No really, 50% like it or don't care either way. 90% of pinside seems to hate every game ever made so I'd say satisfying half the crowd is pretty good.

50 percent is a lot! If they added some menu adjustments they could make more people happy (except people that play on site).

I know it's impossible to please everyone but obviously I'm not alone here.

I sold me GB and the lightshow was one of the reasons, not the biggest reason but it still made a difference.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Well really I timed it out by selling the game

I found it blinding.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

50 percent is a lot! If they added some menu adjustments they could make more people happy (except people that play on site).
    I know it's impossible to please everyone but obviously I'm not alone here.
    I sold me GB and the lightshow was one of the reasons, not the biggest reason but it still made a difference.

50% is not a lot when it's out of 50 votes and on a website were people tend to literally hate everything. I think menu adjustments are a good idea to help balance it out for people that don't like it but still you will have people that whine because they think all LED's are to bright and that they are the devil.

If you put a poll asking is Lyman's code on his last several games way to complicated you would have a bunch of people that say it is and that they just want to bash the ball around and have a flashing light that tells them everything. If you did a poll about LCD's you would probably have 50% that claim they are not needed or wanted and they just want a score real.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Well really I timed it out by selling the game
    I found it blinding.

Well we all have our analities

#36 6 years ago

I'd also really appreciate it he would only flash the shoot again light when ballsave is actually active. Crazy idea, I know.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dwight-sullivan-crazy-insert-flashing?hl=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.