69%

(72 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150212_214026.jpg
johnnyack_0.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Pondering a trade.
I'm familiar with one but totally unfamiliar with the other.
Interested in hearing thoughts and opinions on both.

#2 9 years ago

For theme I love Dr.who it also has some cool shots on it and it is fun.

Overall I think JM as it is just fast furious and fun.

Tough call though I would want to own both

#3 9 years ago

I'll go with the doctor. Better theme and more fun, but I like simpler games that are hard to conquer.

JM is quality as are most bw games but I find it kind of confusing especially for a Williams game, and the glove is kind of a momentum killing gimmick.

Jacking up the playfield X on dr and cashing in big jackpots is a thrill that Never gets old and the theme is timeless and more popular than ever. Love that music.

#4 9 years ago

JM came and went very quickly in my collection. DW is never leaving.

#5 9 years ago

JM rocks...if you take the time to learn the rules and intricacies of the game, you'll find a deep nuanced code that has some really cool twists. Not to mention it is flat out fast.

#6 9 years ago

I like both games, but the only depth of strategy on DW is lock balls, 6 ramps, then multiball until you drain. You can go W-H-O and just go for sonic booms, but that's the entire game. You'll probably master that strategy pretty quick. Sounds are awesome, the time expander is awesome, but it is a rather short game.

JM is fantastic. I think the hand offers great strategy! Do you go for 3 in a row triple jackpots? Do you choose all pop bumper lane jackpots and skillfully drain jackpots? Do you make reward based decisions milking bonus? Extra balls? Do you light spinner millions via the throwing star modes and put a ball on the spinner jackpot?

Sometimes I will set up spinner millions while shooting the orbit to lock the ball, then put the ball on the spinner millions jackpot spot in the matrix, and then, if I drain out of the multiball, shoot the left ramp to the right orbit and start another quick multiball via the throwing star mode (or the right ramp if YAKUZA is ready) and keep ripping the spinner.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

JM is rocks...if you take the time to learn the rules and intricacies of the game, you'll find a deep nuanced code that has some really cool twists. Not to mention it is flat out fast.

This is absolutely correct. Also you better be "handy" (get it) with JM as the hand will break down and cause problems for you. After you learn how it works its not that big of a deal, but with my JM the hand was "rebuilt" before I bought it about 3 years ago, I sold (only b/c it was a friend and he was begging looking at you BB) it it broke he rebuilt it and couldn't get it 100% right, so I bought it back fixed it and now am rebuilding it again (the first time I will have done it) Also there is a MOD for it that eliminates the BALL in HAND switch which is nice to help it work better.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Also there is a MOD for it that eliminates the BALL in HAND switch which is nice to help it work better.

Really now??? Is this documented anywhere on Pinside? I'd love to read about this!

#9 9 years ago

JM rocks, had this title twice, DW pretty good, only had it once

NPO- Little digging and found this thread on Pinside https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-jm-glove-problem that leads here http://coinoplove.com/JM.html

Eric

#10 9 years ago

I own both and I have to lean towards JM although DW is a great title as well. I would buy whichever is in better condition.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Really now??? Is this documented anywhere on Pinside? I'd love to read about this!

Picking fights at 8am...I was assuming the OP wants to know pros and cons of games and that maybe he didn't know. Everyone on PS doesn't know everything about every game especially if he hasn't owned it and is asking for opinions. Why don't you offer something useful to the OP instead of being a sarcastic dick. How does making fun of my post help the OP?

#12 9 years ago

Why don't you offer something useful to the OP instead of being a sarcastic dick. How does making fun of my post help the OP?

Hmmm.....that's not how I read his post. He seems genuinely interested in the mod to me.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Hmmm.....that's not how I read his post. He seems genuinely interested in the mod to me.

yes i thought the same. just wanting to know where he could find it... ?

#14 9 years ago

http://coinoplove.com/JM.html

Theres the link to the clever little device.

And KPORT: it was only a switch! I woulda found it eventually.....

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That's how I read it as well. I own a JM and read me a lot of pinside, and have never come across that link.

In regards to the topic at hand, I only have limited time on DW and didn't really know any rules so my opinion on that game is still formulating.

As for JM, it's fast and offers a couple fun strategies. It will certainly make you a better player.

#16 9 years ago

Maybe I am so used to trolling I am being touchy. If that is what he meant my bad. P.s. John you know I am teasing you.

#17 9 years ago

FWIW, i sold my JM and DW isnt going anywhere anytime soon. The theme and music are fantastic, not as deep as JM but i think its alot more fun!

#18 9 years ago

Great thread. Most helpful. I have been thinking of adding another DMD game in the 2-3k price range and both these titles are being considered. Thanks to the OP, schwarz, great timing!

#19 9 years ago

I own both and would give JM the slight nod. I think JM is one of the best playing/fastest flowing games of the 90's and the Wizard mode is perfect. Not too deep yet not too shallow either. To me it's a top 5 WPC game and better than games like MM or MB since the gameplay is much more unique and satisfying.

I also enjoy DW a lot as well. It's challenging and I'd compare it to others from that era with lightning flips such as BSD and Fishtales.-all 3 games are great. DW has a better theme than JM and is more of a strategy game (choosing which Doctor to start) or which method to score points (multiball vs. sonic booms vs video mode). It reminds me a lot of BSD in that you have to get everything setup for a big payoff. Usually you fail, but when you pull it off it's extremely satisfying.

#20 9 years ago

Also there is a MOD for it that eliminates the BALL in HAND switch which is nice to help it work better.

Okay so all the bullshit aside.... whats the scoop on this mod, becuase I have to have it!!!

#21 9 years ago

Johnny has better rules and more depth
Dr Who is fun and unique(well similar to pinbot with the main toy)

But either way you'll win but i'd take JM

#22 9 years ago

Own a JM and had a friend who owned a Dr Who.

Dr Who imo was very unbalanced and basically once you had the W-H-O shot nailed and looping the ramp that was it, don't do anything else. Great fun at the time but got boring super fast. I would have to be a die hard Dr Who fan to want to own one.

JM has a lot more going for it as other people have said and will likely last a bit longer if you want more varied gameplay. It's a super fast game and the only time it really slows down is when you are using the glove. To me the only downsides I have found so far is the video mode is probably one of the worst ones I have ever played, and I don't really like having to shoot Crazy Bob's to light modes and locks, it's a bit repetitive. Still for me this game will get some love and be a keeper for a while yet.

#23 9 years ago

Lots of good info here, thank you very much.
If condition is equal on both sides would you guys consider it a fair trade straight across?
That's how I'm leaning.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

To me the only downsides I have found so far is the video mode is probably one of the worst ones I have ever played

Funny, but I think it's one of the best video modes in pinball. Tough to master and the controls are seemingly random to control unlike some video modes you can play with your eyes closed.

As far as rules go I think JM is more unbalanced than DW due to the Spinner Millions mode.-I just don't play to exploit it though. On my DW the W-H-O and Sonic Boom loops are tough to hit on a consistent basis because of how steep I have the game set. Safest way to get points is through the video mode.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Lots of good info here, thank you very much.
If condition is equal on both sides would you guys consider it a fair trade straight across?
That's how I'm leaning.

They're pretty close in value with condition being equal. I'd say DW may be worth slightly more just because of the theme.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Okay so all the bullshit aside.... whats the scoop on this mod, becuase I have to have it!!!

BB already posted the link but here it is again. http://coinoplove.com/JM.html

#27 9 years ago

Picking fights at 8am...I was assuming the OP wants to know pros and cons of games and that maybe he didn't know. Everyone on PS doesn't know everything about every game especially if he hasn't owned it and is asking for opinions. Why don't you offer something useful to the OP instead of being a sarcastic dick. How does making fun of my post help the OP?

Wow. I was just really interested. Long story short, I had a JM in 2012 that the hand crapped out, and the BiH problem was a very prevalent issue. I was genuinely interested in the solution.

Saw you apologized, so no biggie. Everyone makes mistakes .

#28 9 years ago

JM all the way IMO. I think 90% of people will agree with the following statement:

If the theme was Matrix, instead of JM, this pin would have been higher rated...possibly in the top 15 of all time.

#29 9 years ago

Dw is more unbalanced than JM? Light spinner millions, rape shot.

Had JM, sold it. Got tired of the call outs, and like I said light spinner millions and rape.

Still have dw, and owned it longer than I did JM. I prefer the shots, call outs, hell the overall package.

But both games do have their thorn: functionality issues of the main toys.

#30 9 years ago

I've owned 2 JMs and neither had a very labile spinner.

I'd try my darndest to get spinner millions lit and exploit it, but the most I've ever gotten is maybe a billion from it?

If you can rip the spinner, then get to hold bonus then collect bonus from the matrix then that 1 billion turns into 3! If you get bonus multipliers up that can bring it to 12! But power down will get your score into the teen billions too, So I'm not sure why it is deemed so un-balanced.

Is there something more lucrative than that spinner strategy?

#31 9 years ago

I own both and I love both. What a previous post said, get the one in better condition. If I had to select one to take to a deserted island I think JM would be my choice for the deeper ruleset. I do however like DW in the sense that you can master the shots more consistently with some practice and never leave the machine with less than a billion on the score board. W-H-O during Sonic Boom is the most satisfying combo in pinball IMHO.

Never mind, get both.

#32 9 years ago

Both great games. Personal preference.

#33 9 years ago

I've owned JM, and have played DW a lot. Both are pretty good, but to add to what others have said what I didn't like about JM is - too imbalanced going for the spinner exploit, and the glove takes too long, slowing down an otherwise pretty exciting game. Other than these 2 issues, I recommend JM.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I've owned JM, and have played DW a lot. Both are pretty good, but to add to what others have said what I didn't like about JM is - too imbalanced going for the spinner exploit, and the glove takes too long, slowing down an otherwise pretty exciting game. Other than these 2 issues, I recommend JM.

Not discounting your impressions...but the glove play can be sped up by double flipper taps (Once a ball is dropped in the matrix, double taps immediately launch a new ball).

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Not discounting your impressions...but the glove play can be sped up by double flipper taps (Once a ball is dropped in the matrix, double taps immediately launch a new ball).

Yes, I am surprised about the number of people that don't know that. If you do that, the glove doesn't slow down the game any more than many games do to give you time to look at the dmd. It is a needed break given that JM is one of the fastest games made.

As for raping the spinner millions -it isn't the easiest and you can chose to ignore that method of scoring (except in competitive play where guys will do whatever it takes).

These are the only 2 complaints ever mentioned about JM. And they are over represented IMHO.

#36 9 years ago

So we're all in agreement then,fair trade if conditions are equal?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Yes, I am surprised about the number of people that don't know that. If you do that, the glove doesn't slow down the game any more than many games do to give you time to look at the dmd. It is a needed break given that JM is one of the fastest games made.
As for raping the spinner millions -it isn't the easiest and you can chose to ignore that method of scoring (except in competitive play where guys will do whatever it takes).
These are the only 2 complaints ever mentioned about JM. And they are over represented IMHO.

I agree with ya, People make those 2 things seem so bad but really they aren't.

Also i am in the minority but i like the video mode for JM, once you get the controls down it's fun and always a challenge. But I've never beaten Level 4

But i'll get JM again someday

Fair trade In my book but most will say JM should have a few Hundred with it

#38 9 years ago

Both are fun, but I like JM a lot more.

#39 9 years ago

I think the poll speaks for itself

#40 9 years ago

How can I not chime in here? My only pin is DW and I have played JM a few times, but it didn't keep my interest.

I would take DW any day. However this comes from a guy that is still trying to get more tham 250 million on DW and has kids. My kids and I love the three level time expander and if I can get three loops in a row I'm doing awesome.

Come on DW fans we can edge out. Congo came back vs Creech on another vs poll.

Once again I say we need a VS cage match.

#41 9 years ago

Love both games. However I wouldn't trade my Johnny for a Dr Who.

#42 9 years ago

Thanks for the help guys.
Hope to make a decision this weekend.
I'll keep you in the loop.

1 week later
#43 9 years ago

What happened?

johnnyack_0.jpgjohnnyack_0.jpg

#44 9 years ago

Both.

20150212_214026.jpg20150212_214026.jpg
#45 9 years ago

After a slight delay on my part it looks like the stars are aligning.
My DW is tentatively sold awaiting pickup this Friday.
And I'll be grabbing JM next week.
I'll report back later, can't wait!

#46 9 years ago

hope you enjoy JM it is a great fast game

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Central, CT
$ 29.00
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Piscataway, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
£ 110.00
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-vs-jm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.