IMG_4850.jpg
IMG_4849.jpg
image-1080.jpg
image-294.jpg
image-70.jpg
image-428.jpg
IMG_4794.JPG
image-169.jpg
There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 9 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS on your playfield promotion! Well done ..

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Once I had the MPF installed I ran test and it was not coming all the way up. I checked the main drive gear and it was slipping. I flowed some solder and while I had it apart I decided to clean and grease everything back up. It is in the machine working fine now.

I had the same issue with my Dr when I got it. The MPF would go half way up and stop. Took me ages to figure out what was happening. Like you, my gear was slipping on the shaft. I had a guy braze it on and 12 years later it's still running like a champ.

Good work on the restore Taylor. Glad those decals worked out.

rd.

#303 9 years ago

Nicely done Taylor! Can't wait to play it.

Now that this one is done, what's in the queue?

#304 9 years ago

Very nice, indeed.

#305 9 years ago

Great work Taylor and a great thread to follow

#306 9 years ago

Awesome. I bet you have the nicest DW on the planet. I'm so jealous. I hope you're playing it right now and having a blast.

#307 9 years ago

Been playing the Dr and want to do a nice write up on the finishing stages but I'm leaving for the York show in about 5hrs so need to hit the hay.

I do want to thank those that followed this thread and I have really appreciated all the words of encouragement on Pinside, FB or even over the phone. I couldn't have gotten this project done
without the help of a lot of pinheads out there and the way I view this hobby has changed for me
while working on it over the last 18 months.

Cheers.

#308 9 years ago

My one is also running without error since yesterday Was a shit job.
Super Bands on the flipperfingers - oh no. Not funny.
And Flipper Buttons from China. Fuck these pieces- you can*t see it what shops let go out
Next week get new ones. Hoping then perfect.

#309 9 years ago

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

I was packing in Vegas when you posted and took yesterday off to sleep

So, what's it like having a NIB DW?!?!

The clock starts now: HUO DW!

Congrats!

Now play some pinball!!!

faz

#310 9 years ago

Still tweaking here and there. Here's a quick vid. Nothing more than what I posted in pics. The lights are really dim so the undercab lights over power the side art.

#311 9 years ago

VERY impressed with how good your DW looks and plays. It is like brand new(better than new)!

#312 9 years ago

Got my first flips in last night along with rvapinballer - amazing machine - great addition to league night

#313 9 years ago

It survived pretty well. TE gearbox decided to fail at the end of the night. I had ordered a new one from PBR so swapped it in pretty quickly.

#314 9 years ago

Awwww.Taylor all you had to do was drill a pilot hole on a 30 degree angle from the shaft 3/4 way through the brass gear and support ring and shaft. Add a set screw and bam. All done. I did mine and she works like new now and mine was slipping BAD. You can try to fix yours before you commit to the new one.

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Awwww.Taylor all you had to do was drill a pilot hole on a 30 degree angle from the shaft 3/4 way through the brass gear and support ring and shaft. Add a set screw and bam. All done. I did mine and she works like new now and mine was slipping BAD. You can try to fix yours before you commit to the new one.

Mine had been repaired(attempted at least) before it came to me. The ring and shaft
Are attached. The gear and shaft have seperated. I attempted a repair but it obviously didn't hold.
I did see the repair with the set screw but mine doesn't have a flat
spot on it.

#316 9 years ago

Bummer you had problems with the TE. Pin looks great. I need to switch out my black legs for nice and shiny ones like yours.

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Mine had been repaired(attempted at least) before it came to me. The ring and shaft
Are attached. The gear and shaft have seperated. I attempted a repair but it obviously didn't hold.
spot on it.

yea mine had the same thing. the gear had spun not the ring collar. It was still attached to the shaft. I just drilled on the angle through the gear and collar 50 50 through each and into the shaft. Then a set screw installed and it will have to cut the screw in half should it want to spin again. The shear [cutting in half] strength of the screw is much greater than the gear force applied to the gear. Solder will not hold at all unless it is silver solder and even then it tends to give. Either way hope you get to play that beautiful game sooner than later.

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

spot on it.

I had mine welded at a local shop. Total cost was 3 bucks. Might be worth looking in to.

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I had mine welded at a local shop. Total cost was 3 bucks. Might be worth looking in to.

THAT WAS CHEAP! The silver solder is more than that alone. It is like 20 bucks a stick at least if not more depending on the silver content. Your welder is a very nice guy! I asked our local shop to do it who we powdercoat for and he wanted 25 bucks! I would have done it but I have no silver solder left! The set screw was free and works awesome.

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

yea mine had the same thing. the gear had spun not the ring collar. It was still attached to the shaft. I just drilled on the angle through the gear and collar 50 50 through each and into the shaft. Then a set screw installed and it will have to cut the screw in half should it want to spin again. The shear [cutting in half] strength of the screw is much greater than the gear force applied to the gear. Solder will not hold at all unless it is silver solder and even then it tends to give. Either way hope you get to play that beautiful game sooner than later.

I had ordered the replacement motor and gearbox last week. It arrived
Saturday. It took me 30 minutes to swap
In the motor and have the TE back up and running. Learning strategy at this point and the sweet spot on the loop ramp.

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

sweet spot on the loop ramp.

Speaking of which. I have a question for the behavior of a NIB DW.

Look at this gameplay video...just after 6:11 the guy is shooting the loop. Notice when the ball hits the trap door, the ball stops, bounces back and drops into the ramp hole.

Now look at the PAPA video going to the loop.

It just screams through the loop and out. My DW never works like the PAPA machine.

I looked once and the trap door has a crush mark in the shape of a ball (little half round). I figured this was causing mine to stop. But I have been waiting months for you to finish so I could ask the question.

thanks,
faz

#322 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

THAT WAS CHEAP! The silver solder is more than that alone. It is like 20 bucks a stick at least if not more depending on the silver content. Your welder is a very nice guy! I asked our local shop to do it who we powdercoat for and he wanted 25 bucks! I would have done it but I have no silver solder left! The set screw was free and works awesome.

It was just a random shop I chose. Guy was very helpful and was curious as to what it was for. When I told him a pinball, his eyes lit up and we ended up talking for about 45 mins about games.

#323 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

» YouTube video
Look at this gameplay video...just after 6:11 the guy is shooting the loop. Notice when the ball hits the trap door, the ball stops, bounces back and drops into the ramp hole.
» YouTube video
It just screams through the loop and out. My DW never works like the PAPA machine.
I looked once and the trap door has a crush mark in the shape of a ball (little half round). I figured this was causing mine to stop. But I have been waiting months for you to finish so I could ask the question.
thanks,
faz

Hit 25 loops last night. I know that isn't a lot in the world of DW
But man was it satisfying. When going through the trap door it does not bounce back up the ramp
and settle. It hits the trap door, is deflected and then rolls to the lower right flipper.

New question. When does one light W-H-O? Seems to only be qualified after sonic boom,
Is this correct?

#324 9 years ago

I was in Vegas over the last few days and spent quite a bit of time on the DW at PHOF. If you've been there, you know the condition of that game (night and day from yours). One day I hope own a DW that's even remotely close to your restore. Congrats again.

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

I was in Vegas over the last few days and spent quite a bit of time on the DW at PHOF. If you've been there, you know the condition of that game (night and day from yours). One day I hope own a DW that's even remotely close to your restore. Congrats again.

thanks, really appreciate it.

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

» YouTube video
» YouTube video
thanks,
faz

I can't answer for a HUO, but mine acts like PAPA's. I have to admit, I suck at hitting that shot.

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I had ordered the replacement motor and gearbox last week. It arrived
Saturday. It took me 30 minutes to swap
In the motor and have the TE back up and running. Learning strategy at this point and the sweet spot on the loop ramp.

Hey at least you are up and running. I was trying to save you some scratch as I am sure you spent a buck or two already. And now you can fix yours and have a spare should you ever need it....Yours deserved a new motor anyways! Super nice for sure. I got lucky and found the only non faded early production with original moving dalek.
And for faz mine acts like the papa tutorial too.

#328 9 years ago

A VCU film student named Scott Roberts contacted me a few weeks ago. He was assigned to do a short film on a subculture and had chosen pinball. He met with members of our league, River City Flippers, and with Kevin Stone who runs Pinholics tournaments in Northern Virginia. This film is the result of his hard work. It gives you a good look at Taylor's workshop and his Dr. Who. Check it out!

http://vimeo.com/109648869

#329 9 years ago

forgive me for anything I said in this. Rambling is not my forte.

#330 9 years ago

sweet video. The movie maker really brought out the nice detail in the DW. Nice interview.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-restore/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.