cam (resized).jpg
20190101_171310 (resized).jpg
49509466_2118169118493317_3653861431851352064_n (resized).jpg
49205891_2223826994539518_6990208700447195136_n (resized).jpg
49750976_297452467462360_7132906029624328192_n (resized).jpg
P4020041 (resized).JPG
20171012_100821 (resized).jpg
20171012_094717 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I just removed the mini playfield from the frame, removed the cross bracket to get to the set screws and moved the flywheel out on the arbor. Tightened it all up and now its running up and down smoothly! Hopefully when I get back I'll attach the rest and see if it can handle the weight. fingers crossed!

Double / Triple check the set screws on the arbor - if that thing is not TIGHT, it will slip and you will eventually get an out of whack elevator again. Faz helped me with this issue a few months ago and I had to take it all apart again after a few days because I had not tightened those 2 screws enough. You don't have to go crazy, but they really need to be tight and not allow any slip.

My game is still working great after disassembly and cleaning.. oh and then an opto went out.. oh and then there was a random wire from a FLASHER that had disconnected and was causing a power drain on the MPF... And I would have been screwed had it not been for faz's help!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

yeah

yeah wishful thinking. I attached the playfield to the bracket and the same result. The motor wont lift the playfield up. I have to help it until the the wheel gets to the top of its run and then the motor will bring it back down until it starts to go up again then you just hear the motor working harder.

Have you checked the forward / backward alignment of the rotor,"? If that is off, the motor will not be able to lift it . This is in faz's guide, but worth re checking

#23 6 years ago

That may just be an alignment issue - you can re-brace that cross bar by unscrewing it and making sure the sides are perfectly aligned. Then make sure the cam and arbor are perfectly vertically aligned and perfectly in the middle of the frame (as you said, I think that's page 13). This is really crucial because it ensures nothing is binding

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Thanks for holding my hand through this Faz! I tried just adding the weight of the playfield on top of the brackets without screwing it in and it still binds in the same position! I tried screwing it in and the same result. I have a millimeter guage and made sure the the brackets are spread apart the same distance at the top and the bottom. The clamp I have the unit sitting in was too small and everything was leaning forward a tiny bit. I removed the unit from the clamp making sure that the bracket holding the motor to the assembly was parallel to the frame so the cam doesn't have any wobble. I placed her on the table and ran it again and the same result. I put a square up against the corners of the brackets to make sure they were truly square. Do I have to sacrifice one of my children to the gods to make this damn thing work? I'm about done with this game. If you're reading this and are interested in a doctor who drop me a pm. My friend can't work on machines at all so if he buys it I'm going to be stuck fixing this freaking thing again.

Try making the brackets a little wider than you think they "should" be. I found on mine I had to spread them a tiny bit because something in the mix was not as straight as it should be. Maybe one of the brackets was twisted. Anyway I just had to spread them a tiny bit more than expected, then screwed the brace right, and the jam went away

#30 6 years ago

That does look like maybe it's the motor; a new one is what $60? I don't hear it binding it's like it's slipping somehow, but not on the usual external spots

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Thanks Rdoyle it just seems like its not strong enough. If I apply pressure and help it the cam will run through it's cycle. Could it be that the 2 seconds that the ball was trapped as the playfield was going down weakened the motor?

More like it loosened something in the gearbox. I still wonder if it's binding but I couldn't tell you where. And it's strange it clearly keeps turning the motor but it doesn't engage when it gets to that point in the cycle.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

So do I get both a new motor and gear box? Do you know if Steve at pbresouce has em?

I believe I bought mine from marco

Is the motor a replacement? That seems strange it's only 6v

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I think that's what I have to do I can't find a 12v power source in the house. I might try jbwelding the lg gear onto the shaft just in case. Will report back tomorrow.

9v battery worked fine for me - that should be enough juice

1 week later
#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Ok I was able to get back in the pin today and tried running the playfield in test. I have the same results, runs fine while gravity isn't involved but once the motor has to work against gravity it fails to lift the playfield. I helped the playfield up to the top in test and the playfield is slipping and falling down in the downward motion. Seems like it's getting worse so I bit the bullet and purchased a new motor. I'll report back when it's installed.

Well look at it like this, $60 isn't much to get an awesome game back in action!

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Hi Faz, sorry I didn't see this until after I removed the motor. The new motor and gearbox arrived and I installed it and she works great! I'd like to thank you and Rdoyle for all the help. Hopefully this helps someone in the future when their mini playfield won't raise.

That's awesome! ! Now go play!

4 months later
#56 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

So the only way to fix the optos is to remove the mini playfield?

It’s pretty hard to do it without removing the MPF, and you can damage the wiring and the optos if you aren’t super careful, but it is possible. I wouldn’t recommend it though. It doesn’t take long to get reallly fast at removing the MPF

9 months later
#66 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Like here for instance?
[quoted image]

soo... I'm curious whose paintstakingly maintained nails those are? Missy, perhaps?

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Thanks pinball_faz ! I do have a 12v power source that I'm going to hook up, will report back once I get to that point.

rdoyle1978 The nails are mine, I'm getting ready to get them redone this week. I'll keep them updated in my posts along with my MPF reassembly progress.

Wow. I'll subscribe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 40.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-warning-keep-hands-away-from-mini-playfield-tech-club?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.