(Topic ID: 72255)

DW MPF Hey CPR my Doctor is NOT a "DUD" / "ODDBALL"!!

By Fairground

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPF diagram (resized).jpg
image.jpg
IMG_8964.jpg
013 (2).JPG
071 (2).JPG
007 (2).JPG
103.JPG
092.JPG
100.JPG
046 (3).JPG
045.JPG
035.JPG
034.JPG
001 (2).JPG
001 (4).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fairground.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Not long ago (August) I purchased a mini playfield board from BAA, manufactured by CPR. At first I was a bit concerned with the finish of the surface, as it had small pin prick type spots under the clearcoat. BAA were very helpful and after lots of emails and them offering to meet me half way with postage I decided to keep what I had, as the cost to send it back to the USA was still too expensive and only “I” would know the condition I received it and it would not be visible when the rest of the playfield was in place. // Error: Image 160651 not found //
OK, so now all I had to do after installing a new motor, mushroom buttons, optos and rubbers etc., (Many thanks Toads of AA for helping me change it over and also changing the mushroom buttons, springs and opto board) onto the brackets and some hours cleaning and polishing (Brasso is my new friend, definitely an outside thing with the fumes though), Toads even sent a couple of parts off with his chrome order and put other parts though his tumbler, I was ready to put it all back together….. or so I thought. // Error: Image 160650 not found //
The pics show the line-up of the t-nuts and holes drilled in the CPR playfield did not match mine. // Error: Image 160652 not found // // Error: Image 160653 not found //Approx. ⅛th inch out. This meant that the playfield would sit too far forward when screwed on to the main playfield. Emails this time were forwarded to CPR as I needed to talk to the source. I was told that the “CPR” MPF board was properly cut and holes drilled as per original NOS specifications. That my Doctor Who must be a “DUD” and that they have not had any complaints from anyone else they have sold their MPF’s to. “All care taken, No responsibility” is how their answers seemed to me “These guys would be brilliant used car salesmen”. Wish it was different and I had a good report regarding their “after sales service”. Their advice after looking at photos:
[Look at the room at the rear. Tons. Back it up. The whole mechanism from underneath the playfield. About 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch is all it should take. The whole master unit should be detachable and held onto the playfield with several screws underneath.
Your machine is unfortunately an oddball. Since the games were assembled on the line by human beings, they assembled your particular machine based on the mini they had at hand... so everything was positioned based on that. Your mini has an inside-cut that is backed up relative to most.
The extremely valuable NOS original we modelled the reproduction after would ALSO not fit in your machine for the same reason, and look the same.
Remember, nary a word of this kind of fit after 150 sold and installed by people. Which makes sense, because ours is identical to a mint unused uninstalled factory original specimen.
It sucks you have to do a little bit of movement as opposed to most, as it would have been great to be a drop-in swap. I agree. Kevin]

I sent pics off to Faz, whose publication I was following for removing and replacing the MPF and even he was amazed at the difference and offered advice regarding the holes for the brackets etc. I had also read here on Pinside where people were having the same problem as me and one person had cut part of their MPF board to suit, also that someone had drilled the holes to lengthen on the bracket to enable their MPF to sit properly. // Error: Image 160654 not found // Well after much reading and discussion, Toads filed the holes so that the MPF could sit back further, using stronger screws to ensure it held.// Error: Image 160655 not found // // Error: Image 160660 not found //NOW I could put it all back together, also able to fit brand new designed hole cliffys purchased from Cliffy. // Error: Image 160658 not found // // Error: Image 160657 not found // // Error: Image 160659 not found //
I have learned that……………….. I can follow written instructions and even though I was really “apprehensive” about removing and replacing my MPF and also the unplugging and cleaning and ordering and putting everything into envelopes with all the parts inside noted and taking photos as I went, I am proud that I was able to do it, with help from Toads when it came to explaining what the actual parts did and his endless patience ( walking out side to have many a ciggy to allow me time to take in and understand and undertake instructions). Also for helping me source the parts I needed and sending my boards off to Ken to have them boosted. Thank you Ken, fantastic job and quick too!! Also big thanks to Toads for the entire electrical and soldering etc. that was way beyond my capabilities. Also, thanks for my birthday present – new dalek sling shot plastics – very cool!
I have also learned…………… well maybe, cause it’s not my better quality………………….”Patience” That a lot of parts I required came from USA. You don’t go to the local hardware store for your pinball parts. I hope this has not been too long winded and that it has helped anyone thinking of overhauling their MPF on their Doctor Who. Thanks for reading. Allison.

#2 10 years ago

007 (2).JPG007 (2).JPG103.JPG103.JPG092.JPG092.JPG100.JPG100.JPG046 (3).JPG046 (3).JPG045.JPG045.JPG035.JPG035.JPG034.JPG034.JPG001 (2).JPG001 (2).JPG001 (4).JPG001 (4).JPG

#3 10 years ago

071 (2).JPG071 (2).JPG

// Error: Image 160650 not found // // Error: Image 160651 not found // // Error: Image 160652 not found // // Error: Image 160653 not found // // Error: Image 160654 not found // // Error: Image 160655 not found // // Error: Image 160657 not found // // Error: Image 160658 not found // // Error: Image 160659 not found // // Error: Image 160660 not found //
#4 10 years ago

013 (2).JPG013 (2).JPG

// Error: Image 160650 not found // // Error: Image 160651 not found // // Error: Image 160652 not found // // Error: Image 160653 not found // // Error: Image 160654 not found // // Error: Image 160655 not found // // Error: Image 160657 not found // // Error: Image 160658 not found // // Error: Image 160659 not found // // Error: Image 160660 not found //
#9 10 years ago

Thanks For the videos Paladin. Yes lots of holes to drill but it didnt damage the clearcoat, was daunting for me too. Here is the pic of the bracket drilled out and the mpf fitting in with cliffys onimage.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago

Mine is the two tone

3 years later
#17 6 years ago

Sorry for not seeing your post till now. My original mpf caused no issues.
It was the CPR mpf I purchased that caused the problem and then I had to elongate the bracket holes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fairground.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-hey-cpr-my-doctor-is-not-a-dud-oddball?tu=fairground and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.