Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by krivoap
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Ok, I always wind up scratching my head with faults that are intermittent. During game play, Dr Who will seam fine for a while, then all of a sudden some of the lamps become overly bright, the DMD appears distorted and too bright, and a flipper becomes locked on while the other is nonresponsive...prompting me to quickly power off the machine. Once powered back on, the machine seams fine for a while, and then repeats the odd behavior...but not always the same flipper will be locked on or same set of lamps overly bright. I'm wondering if an intermittent voltage drop/spike could be the culprit. Any suggestions on how to find the root cause? Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Reseat the gray cables in the head, particularly the little short one between WPC and PDB.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks; all kinds of weird behavior occurred on my first attempt at reseating the ribbon cables...after a couple of tries things appear relatively stable for the moment and no intermittent fault so far.

#4 8 years ago

Ok - the above seamed to work for quite a few games and then the odd intermittent behavior sadly returned. I'm thinking it probably makes sense to replace the offending cable. Does anyone have a recommendation or favorite source on where to get replacement cables? Thanks.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from krivoap:

I'm thinking it probably makes sense to replace the offending cable.

Great Plains Electronics (Ed's a Pinsider). I would also reflow the solder on the board connectors and inspect the pins on them for corrosion/wear.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Great Plains Electronics (Ed's a Pinsider). I would also reflow the solder on the board connectors and inspect the pins on them for corrosion/wear.

Thanks - I've ordered from Ed at GPE but didn't realize he also carried cables.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-intermittent-locked-on-flipper-and-overly-bright-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.