Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TaylorVA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

so on my DW sometimes the game will kick out a second ball and then auto launch it. Sometimes the game will serve the first ball and autolaunch it. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes it will be fine on ball one and then will serve the second ball on ball 2. WTF?

I've tested all switches and all seem fine. I replaced the shooter lane switch and it test fine. It just started doing this. What I find really odd is that it will serve a ball into the shooter lane and just allow it to sit there. The Shoot ball button will remain lit as though the first ball was never put into play. I've opened the coindoor and checked switches immediately after this happened and all balls were accounted for and no switches were active that shouldn't be.

Help appreciated.

-Taylor

#2 9 years ago

Sounds like a flaky trough switch intermittently showing closed, making the game think it has too many balls in the trough.

#3 9 years ago

I am having the exact same problem with my Grand Lizard. As you know it doesn't have an auto launch but as soon as the first ball goes out a 2nd ball gets served into the shooter lane. I recently had someone over who was looking at another machine of mine take a quick peak at the GL and found a possible issue with the 5v coming from the power supply. I have a replacement PS coming from xpin Im hoping that this may resolve the issue? I will report back my findings after the PS swap

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Sounds like a flaky trough switch intermittently showing closed, making the game think it has too many balls in the trough.

That's my leaning but it's been really hard I isolate anything as being the problem switch. Will dig deeper tonight.

#5 9 years ago

I had this issue when I first got my DW. Run the switch test to see if, when the 3 balls are in the trough, all trough switches are consistently, properly active. I did this test using my hand but got false reads. When I used the ball my Ball 1 sw was not fully engaged and so the game thought it still hadn't kicked out a ball. Did a slight adjustment to the switch arm and problem fixed. May not be your issue but it's the first place I'd look.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I had this issue when I first got my DW. Run the switch test to see if, when the 3 balls are in the trough, all trough switches are consistently, properly active. I did this test using my hand but got false reads. When I used the ball my Ball 1 sw was not fully engaged and so the game thought it still hadn't kicked out a ball. Did a slight adjustment to the switch arm and problem fixed. May not be your issue but it's the first place I'd look.

Thanks for the input, was it doing the same thing with launching balls into play?

#7 9 years ago

Sounds like a misaligned trough switch (see what I was saying about optos at York?) - code in your machine includes auto launch for multiball, so using the lane switch it knows that another ball has been added and the machine auto-fires.

Definitely in the trough.

-Nick

#8 9 years ago

I've seen many threads (including my own where SG did this) discuss auto launch issues. It always came back to the trough switches. Test, test and retest again.

Pull the glass and the apron so you have a really good look at the switches. Could be the switch is fine, but the balls are not aligned "just so" and the switch is not triggered. If it's really subtle you might need to set up a camera to record the state of the balls in the trough and the shooter lane to see the exact pattern.

faz

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Thanks for the input, was it doing the same thing with launching balls into play?

Yes, it would always launch two balls into play.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Yes, it would always launch two balls into play.

thanks for the confirmation

Quoted from bingopodcast:

Sounds like a misaligned trough switch (see what I was saying about optos at York?) - code in your machine includes auto launch for multiball, so using the lane switch it knows that another ball has been added and the machine auto-fires.
Definitely in the trough.
-Nick

you need to swing by soon.

#11 9 years ago

So the kicker that feeds the shooter lane seemed to be catching preventing the ball from feeding to ball 1 position. It would eventually feed but the hesitation was enough to confuse the game and feed the second ball. Lubed the mech and all seems good.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

#12 9 years ago

Man I'm glad you got it figured out. It was killin me that after that restore that you were getting this pain in the ass. Play on playa!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from pinplayerinva:

Man I'm glad you got it figured out. It was killin me that after that restore that you were getting this pain in the ass. Play on playa!

All worth it in the end.

BOOOOM!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 110.00
Boards
Slap Save Creations

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-ball-trough-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.