Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by chooch
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0569 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1428 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1427 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedimastermatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago

I was faced with the optical disc storage quandry many years ago (3000+) titles and this is the path that I went down. I have a 10ft wide screen via a front projector, so if I were to rip the discs it would have to be lossless to hold up the quality. That meant that I would need LOTS of storage because the key to doing any digital transcoding is if you are going to take the time to do it - you better make sure you are doing it right with redundancy via RAID. Drive cost alone was a deterrent for me to head down this path; but, also the cost of electricity and heat dissipation for so a many drives.

That meant excluding the digital path for me.

I then looked into how to abandon optical disc cases. I had already filled a huge closet with custom shelves with no extra gaps with them, so the cases had to go.

That left either disc books or sleeves. From years of CD storage I knew the books can cause issues with pressure on the ink sticking to the plastic holders, so they were quickly nixed.

That left sleeves. Tyvek sleeves don't stick and don't scratch. Just needed a way to store them and organize them. After a long search on the web IKEA came to the rescue. Their dirt cheap Kasset CD storage boxes were perfect.

All I needed now was a way to catalog and organize the discs. DvdProfier was the solution there. With desktop versions to quickly scan in discs via a barcode scanner that the software spits out a sequential number. That number goes on the Tyvek sleeve via a sharpie and then the sleeve goes into the storage box. Each box holds about 100 "numbers but in actuality, each box holds about 125 or so discs. The software, depending on the disc contents will sometimes give multi disc sets the same number.

DVDprofiler has apps for phones and tablets that sync with the desktop version, so all we need to do is lookup the movie via its search. It has all sorts of cool features like the box art and links to trailers and integers links to related titles in your collection and most importantly - it gives us the disc number. We walk over to the closet, slide the box back, let our fingers walk to the disc location and viola.

While it would be cool to have all of this play via a server - quality would be too compromised unless I had as much storage as I do for my multi office national firm. With my move to a 4K projector and UHD, it's just not practical. Streaming is intriguing via the net; but, the quality just doesn't hold up on a multifoot projector.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedimastermatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dvd-and-blueray-storage-solutions?tu=jedimastermatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.