Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 382 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by JvdS
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2788 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240626_155941_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240625_174130_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Pic (resized).jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzz5 (resized).jpeg
    zzzzzzzzzzzz3.2 (resized).jpg
    EP14_square (resized).jpeg
    agenda-square (resized).jpeg
    EP14_square (resized).jpeg
    EP14_rect (resized).png
    EP14_rect (resized).png
    doc brown as the mad hatter (resized).png
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    This.gif
    AAIW 1st Teaser Flyer June 2024 copy (resized).jpeg
    received_8639739542719150 (resized).jpeg
    There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 38 days ago
    Quoted from delt31:

My expectation is this thing will be pirates loaded. No one on your list has done that. If Alice comes out looking like a spooky, no way in hell would I consider spending that amount.
    I'm expecting woz/pirates loaded or the price will need to drop big time.

I think it will be comparable to a CGC LE - shaker, powdercoat, topper, side blades, RGB, speaker lights, custom sculpts, etc. CGC charges $9250 for that.

There's no way this will be Pirates/WoZ loaded. Heck - JJP games aren't even that loaded anymore. Sad but true.

Quoted from Sorokyl:

And they sell up to a 1000 of those twice a year

Stern didn't sell that many Venom LEs and doesn't look like they will sell that many WickLEs either. Only Elwin games can justify the current price point at 1000 games.

Granted AAIW is 500 units total, so $12-$13k is probably the target price, but it needs to look, play and sound exceptional to be a success.

#353 38 days ago
    Quoted from rob3:

In it, JPOP talks about how we formed this company thinking that all the vendors for Williams were going to want to do business with him, instead the volumes were too small, so they spent (for example) 8 months trying to make a cabinet wheras he was used to just sending his game design onto the cab design guys and they got it done.

Same story with the wiring harness, he normally sent the design off to wiring and 2 weeks later they say, here it in. In JPOP's case he instead becomes involved with the wiring design - and this seems to be where things went amiss...

Because he admitted (and this is in the time of the interview when things are still on track it) that he was basically over designing everything, wanting it all to be a great customer experience both playing the game and servicing the game.

Imagine during this interview things were already on the path to failure, but probably not fully realized yet.

Dude.. you're falling into JPOP's web... even after the fact. This is all JPOP spin.

The project was never 'on track' - the guy didn't have a clue on what even had to be done. It was found he just kept iterating on pointless things because he was basically avoiding the real work that had to be done and he didn't have the resources to do. He used silos to keep people in the dark.

The guy set out to make a commercial product of just 16 units... even a dunce knows that is not a viable business strategy.

What you should really hear in that interview is JPOP was used to having people around him that DID THE WORK - and when that support network was no longer there, he floundered. He didn't design spike leg bolts because he couldn't get regular leg bolts.. he did it because he thought that was the cool stuff that was needed.

He spent all his time on artsy stuff because that is what he could dream about and put into some form with the limited resources he could muster. I truly believe the entire thing was him hoping Stern would hire him if he put out some cool concepts and made some noise.

For research... you should have listened to the Python Interview on Clay's TOPcast. That was really the first public roasting of what JPOP really was capable of.. and after that people would start leaking out little bits of what it was really like working with him on those WMS projects.

People liked his creativity - but every person knew he couldn't execute a lemonade stand - let alone a full pinball project.

#354 38 days ago
    Quoted from rob3:

thx for joining all. Here is the direct link for anyone who missed it.
    https://youtube.com/live/u7SlkBOmClk

I really enjoyed the interview. Melvin seems like a true pinball fan who cares about making a great pin and doing the right thing for fans. I love that two of his favorite machines are JJP Wizard of Oz and Pirates (I own WOZ and Wonka), because it makes me feel like he understands the kind of machines that catch my eye: beautiful, immersive, and based on nostalgic IP. I'm hoping they'll do a great job on the Alice theme. I wasn't interested in buying the machine before this podcast, but I'd definitely consider it if it looks and plays as good as it sounds like it will. Of course, if BTTF is actually coming too, I don't know what I'll do.
    -Hank

#355 37 days ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Lower your expectations.
    The fact they put "exclusive" into the name of their business and are limiting it to 500, and are reviving old jpop stuff suggests they are trying to draw on fomo. They know a lot of people aren't gonna care about this game, but there are some (hopefully 500) that love jpop stuff and will pay a higher price.
    Stern LE with a topper is 14-15k, same price as this game. And they sell up to a 1000 of those twice a year. So it doesn't make sense to assume that this price tag must mean higher BOM than a stern le(which is quite low!!)

I absolutely assume this game will have a higher BOM than a Stern LE. If they brought the foam core to life it will have a higher BOM than a Stern LE. That’s a very achievable goal. I don’t think they would’ve formed the company if they weren’t trying to surpass the “artistry” of Stern builds. I fully expect, false hopes of not, the beginning glory that we saw in JJP’s early titles and beyond or I’m out. I don’t think I’m alone in this…

Quoted from delt31:

My expectation is this thing will be pirates loaded.

I’m preparing to be wowed by this game. It sure as hell doesn’t hurt to be optimistic. I don’t know if the mech’s can match Pirates, but I’m hoping for excellent theme immersion and the total package. They have a great team at their disposal and I think Melvin picked the right people to partner with on this one.

#356 37 days ago

My take on DPX and this game is that if it's on par with TBL (or perhaps even better) they will sell @ or above $14K. Given their location I also think there are factors at play that drive their BOM costs at some percentage above what the US manufacturers are paying. Couple that in with what is a relatively low production rate there really isn't much opportunity for any 'economy in scale' either. I might be wrong, but I just don't think it's possible to bring this game into the US for less than $14K, again if it's at the same level of materials, content, and build quality of TBL or better.

My take away from listening to Melvin describe this game and their business model is they are carving out a space in this industry as a 'Boutique Manufacturer', this also justifies what I think will be the pricing for this game. I'm with the majority here as well in that the game has to be something special, the bar has been set pretty high IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing it, and hope it blows me away!

#357 37 days ago
    Quoted from stumblor:

Where to begin?
    You're outraged on behalf of j-pop victims
    I'm outraged on your behalf that there's not more prepubescent girls on the artwork (ick)
    And Jem is truly truly truly outrageous, but only on her own behalf.

I'm not outraged about any of this. Never said I was. I said those who were scammed have a right to be.

If you find the original images of Alice icky, that says a lot more about you, not me.

#358 37 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm not outraged about any of this. Never said I was. I said those who were scammed have a right to be.
    If you find the original images of Alice icky, that says a lot more about you, not me.

I'm with stumblor (Davie) on this one. When I read your post, it sounded like you had vicarious outrage toward Jpop.
    The real kicker was the use of the word "prepubescent". Even typing it out now makes my skin crawl. So, yeah, a bit of ickiness there.

#359 37 days ago
    Quoted from Nicholastree:

...The real kicker was the use of the word "prepubescent". Even typing it out now makes my skin crawl. So, yeah, a bit of ickiness there.

It's a perfectly acceptable term, but geared more towards the medical field and health and wellness discussions, rather than general dialogue or a pinball forum discussion on theming and artwork.

It seems to me Tranquilize (that username could be the real "tell all" here) might simply be pining for more family-friendly artwork for a theme traditionally seen as a children's story...Nothing wrong with that.

I'd also rather see more wholesome pinball theming that is family friendly, and geared more towards what kids can relate to, appreciate, and is appropriate for them, rather than some warped artwork that's grungy and a distortion of a classic kids book.

#360 37 days ago

I actually think they have a really good chance of selling out of these very quickly. If the game is loaded with high end sculpts, which appears it will be since they are having The Art of Pinball do everything its gonna look pretty high end. The fact that they are making one model with only 500 units makes it pretty easy to sell out. Let's face it Stern LE's with a 1000 units, no topper, and mostly cheap plastics are basically the same price.

#361 37 days ago
    Quoted from MiniPinHead:

I'd also rather see more wholesome pinball theming that is family friendly, and geared more towards what kids can relate to, appreciate, and is appropriate for them, rather than some warped artwork that's grungy and a distortion of a classic kids book.

Thanks to easy access on Disney+, the 1951 film has become quite possibly my six-year-old son's favorite movie. No mean feat with all the media we have to choose from these days.

Can't speak for other buyers, but there's no chance I'd get the Hot Topic version of this theme. Of course most in my demographic have grown kids and would drool over Alice in Tittyland, so I know I'm in the minority. Carry on, boutique dreamers.

#362 37 days ago

I'm hoping for a, Guns & Alice, or a Harley Quinn Alice.

zzzzzzzzzzzz3.2 (resized).jpgzzzzzzzzzzzz3.2 (resized).jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzz5 (resized).jpegzzzzzzzzzzzz5 (resized).jpeg

#363 37 days ago

^ That didn't take long.

Quoted from yancy:

Of course most in my demographic have grown kids and would drool over Alice in Tittyland,

#364 37 days ago

Yeah. I’m out on a Disney-type Alice, but a Sexy, badass Harley Quinn version…oh, hell yeah!

#365 37 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

...If the game is loaded with high end sculpts, which appears it will be since they are having The Art of Pinball do everything its gonna look pretty high end...

As long as they aren't bash toys:

UghUgh

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/art-of-pinball-hobbit-beasts-quality

Quoted from yancy:

Thanks to easy access on Disney+, the 1951 film has become quite possibly my six-year-old son's favorite movie. No mean feat with all the media we have to choose from these days.
    Can't speak for other buyers, but there's no chance I'd get the Hot Topic version of this theme...

He's got good taste and so do you

Good job being a responsible parent!

#366 37 days ago

As long as they aren't bash toys:
    [quoted image]
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/art-of-pinball-hobbit-beasts-quality

That doesn't look good. I got the feeling it was mostly the custom play field plastics.

#367 36 days ago

Owning a TBL I know the build quality will at least be worth the price. The Free Bonus Part, RENS!!! is worth the price of admission alone.

But as with all my games, they are played and loved before they enter my house.

#368 36 days ago

When I think of Alice as a grown adult, I guess I think of that Alan Moore comic Lost Girls. Not his best, but a worthy creative venture.

So I suppose there's a precedent for grown-up Alice.

#369 35 days ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

Owning a TBL I know the build quality will at least be worth the price. The Free Bonus Part, RENS!!! is worth the price of admission alone.
    But as with all my games, they are played and loved before they enter my house.

Wow, you make me blush, thanks

First pre-production AAIW made will come to my house to make sure I can do the support as it should be. Just need more hours in day as 24

#370 35 days ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Wow, you make me blush, thanks
    First pre-production AAIW made will come to my house to make sure I can do the support as it should be. Just need more hours in day as 24

The comprehensive technical manual you did for TBL is the industry gold standard. If Dutch/DPX puts those out for future games, it will hopefully reduce the need for constant customer service emails.

#371 35 days ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

The comprehensive technical manual you did for TBL is the industry gold standard. If Dutch/DPX puts those out for future games, it will hopefully reduce the need for constant customer service emails.

Thanks.

Ofcourse, the knowledge obtained with TBL will be implemented in AAIW eg this manual should be thinner. I do hope so, the amount of time spent by me to make TBL manual was really huge. Was also not just service faq, also operational manual was done by me. Only difference was that with operational manual a dtp person made my work look nice. With service manual that is just not practical as it’s much more dynamic as operational manual.

But, yes, I have full intent to use same systematic with Alice, no worries. Already put in a large order with the coffee company

#372 35 days ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Thanks.
    Ofcourse, the knowledge obtained with TBL will be implemented in AAIW eg this manual should be thinner. I do hope so, the amount of time spent by me to make TBL manual was really huge. Was also not just service faq, also operational manual was done by me. Only difference was that with operational manual a dtp person made my work look nice. With service manual that is just not practical as it’s much more dynamic as operational manual.
    But, yes, I have full intent to use same systematic with Alice, no worries. Already put in a large order with the coffee company

You should consider a tool like Notion for future Dutch titles. Would be easier to maintain, easier to navigate, and can still be exported as a pdf for those who don’t want something more modern.

1 week later
    #373 25 days ago

Hmm Alt glass coming? Re-envision?

Screenshot_20240625_174130_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240625_174130_Facebook (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20240626_155941_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240626_155941_Facebook (resized).jpg
    #374 25 days ago
    Quoted from Morgoth00:

Hmm Alt glass coming? Re-envision?
    [quoted image]

Looks really good!

#375 25 days ago

I REALLY like the OG translite ZY drawing but these are fantastic also.

2 weeks later
    #376 6 days ago

Was kinda excited on seeing a little more than art on this one, however judging by how quiet this thread you might be loosing your audience. Anything?

#377 6 days ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Was kinda excited on seeing a little more than art on this one, however judging by how quiet this thread you might be loosing your audience. Anything?

It's the middle of the summer, and "there's a lot going on" in the news so not a bad time to lay low.

I have no doubt you'll have lots and lots of opportunities to send these guys money so I wouldn't worry about it!

#378 6 days ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Summer in Europe... means extended holiday season for most.

#379 6 days ago

They can stay as quiet as they like if they're burning oil getting one ready to show off in full at expo.

#380 6 days ago

Yup. It’s summer over here so more quiet.

It’s mainly waiting for parts now and making some last minute minor changes. We still expect to do the reveal in Q3, most likely September looking at the deliverytimes of some parts.

While I am at it, we do have our own artist, same person as who did The Big Lebowski, working on the artpackage and this is thus not Brian. The artwork he showed earlier has thus nothing do with us.

So, no worries, we are still alive and kicking

Just enjoying now some time in Germany with a German beer ofcourse

IMG_2788 (resized).jpegIMG_2788 (resized).jpeg
    #381 5 days ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

We still expect to do the reveal in Q3, most likely September looking at the deliverytimes of some parts.

Can we Dutch people play it at Dutch Pinball Open in November?

#382 16 hours ago
    Quoted from Rene368:

Can we Dutch people play it at Dutch Pinball Open in November?

Wanted to ask exactly the same!

There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.