Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by emsrph
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball_cover_hook.jpg
    fish_tank_fleece_throw.jpg
    3308911.jpg
    DSC02684.jpg
    2012-02-03_10.25.39.jpg
    IMG_2415.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Hey all,

Now that I have a couple of games in pretty nice shape, I've been thinking it might be in my best interest to spend some money on covers for them. So far, I've found these:

ebay.com link: STANDARD SIZE DUST COVER PROTECTOR PINBALL MACHINE

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-PC-ESB

The big ones I'd like to cover are my Simpsons (Stern) and WhiteWater, as they're the most likely to get exposed to light due to their locations right now. Anyone have anything good/bad/ugly to say about either of these covers, or have suggestions for anywhere else to get some? Thanks in advance.

Luke

#2 11 years ago

I have that very cover on my Spiderman. It has worked very well for me.

#3 11 years ago

Marco is out of stock? no way....

#4 11 years ago

Why not try blinds on the windows or UV blocker film?

#5 11 years ago

I have those covers on all my games. They work really well. I bought one to check out the quality, then followed up with an additional order. When I got the first one, I quickly realized that I wasn't going to mess around with covering the head. So I contacted the seller to see if she would sell without the head cover. She does (or did), and knocked off some $ (can't remember how much, but it was like $5 or $10 per cover).

#6 11 years ago

These are the best i have seen ! These are soft and will not scratch the game every time you take it on or off . I can get anyone in contact with the guy who makes these .

Jim

IMG_2415.JPGIMG_2415.JPG

#7 11 years ago

jim

i would be interested in the contact info. for him

many thanks
    p

#8 11 years ago

I use the small moving blankets from Harbor Freight, $5.00 a blanket, works good. I do not cover the head as a bit hard to reach when machines are side by side.

#9 11 years ago

I always thought covering up a pin was kinda silly.

Move it away from the UV sources, and buy a feather duster.

#10 11 years ago

Play them or fix them so you can play them and you won't need to cover 'em up.

#11 11 years ago

I have been trying to convince my wife to bridge into the custom cover business for pinheads. Since she makes all of my pants, why not try some pin covers too?!? She still hasn't gone public with her designs yet but, hopefully she'll get the courage to start up an Etsy account before the end of the year.

I'll ask her to get a prototype up and running and post it to this thread.

#12 11 years ago

Hey guys,

I'm new to the pinside forums, but have been lurking on RGP forever. The picture Jim put up is of the covers that we make. If you want any more info or photos, email me. Right now I just have the form for regular body Williams DMD era games. We can make any of them, but I will need to get the measurements for anything else. Luckily, I have a few games to do so with.

As a back story, I bought a pinskin, but I didn't like it very much. The fabric is two grades above burlap, the magnets are in the wrong place, I don't like the vinyl window (it looks wrinkly) and MOST IMPORTANTLY, they don't fit. They leave 1-2 inches of exposed game along the side of the cabinet.

So, I decided to make my own with my mother-in-law. This isn't how we make our living, but we can produce enough to satisfy a few pinheads looking for dust and UV protection. Current target price is about $90 plus shipping. If we get to doing enough of these, I may be able to get material costs down. Black, blue, and red are the current color choices. Since they are made to order, small customizations may also be possible.

Again, any questions, ask away.

Matt

#13 11 years ago

Matt is new here but not new to pinball! I will vouch for Matt . No worries dealing with him .

Jim

#14 11 years ago

I make these just for the lower part. Top covers are pain to put on and remove. Black canvas with magnets in the back. I can embroider a custom message on the front or side. AC/DC. TRON. Play a real game... Etc.

Cheap insurance and prevents fading.

45.00 plus 5 shipping. Stern or Williams.

2012-02-03_10.25.39.jpg2012-02-03_10.25.39.jpg

#15 11 years ago

Just do to the fabric store and get some cheap fleece. Pick any color you want. Then cut them to shape and glue a couple of magnetic strips to the top end to hold the material on the games side rails. I know the rails are stainless steel but the magnetic strips still work. They still have "some" iron in them.

Look at the two games in my garage. I like to have them covered as it can get dusty. Plus sometimes I'm sanding wood and they keep the saw dust off the glass. Makes it easy to just yank them off and start playing.

No need to cover the head, that's just crazy. Who cares if there is dust on the top of the head? Plus I like to see the back glass artwork.

Pappy

DSC02684.jpgDSC02684.jpg

#16 11 years ago

If the head covers had a zipper or something they'd be easier to use.. it's a pain taking it on and off.. maybe a velcro corner or something.

#17 11 years ago

I can put velcro strips on the back two corners of the head piece if someone wants that.

There are certainly cheaper solutions. My first one was a sheet. You can buy at the goodwill for less than $5. However, they don't take care of more than dust and they fall off all the time. Nevermind that they look less than attractive.

I like covers that are good for the whole machine so I don't end up with fade on the top, but none on the bottom. AZ is a dusty place, so you also get dust in the speaker covers and on the top of the head.

I can also see the cover vary depending on the quality/expense of the game. My viper night driving with no side artwork, out in the garage gets a sheet. My Jim McCune restored machines get the nice covers.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I always thought covering up a pin was kinda silly

I always thought NOT covering up a pin was kinda silly,The time and money spent on these 3D worlds-under glass are well worth having covered and not getting house dust,fingerprints,things stacked on and around them IMO.

3 years later
    #19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I make these just for the lower part. Top covers are pain to put on and remove. Black canvas with magnets in the back. I can embroider a custom message on the front or side. AC/DC. TRON. Play a real game... Etc.
    Cheap insurance and prevents fading.
    45.00 plus 5 shipping. Stern or Williams.
    2012-02-03_10.25.39.jpg

Do you still make these and do you make them for wide body Pinballs (Wizard of Oz)?

#20 8 years ago

My TWD all tucked in for a rest.
    330891[1].jpg330891[1].jpg

Themed Fleece throw blankets are a dime a dozen.

fish tank fleece throw.jpgfish tank fleece throw.jpg

#21 8 years ago

The dude named "Angyalpor" from this thread : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-cover/page/11#post-2524146

He makes some swell covers and choice colors, but there is sometimes a wait. Quality is there!

If your pins are close together, just snag a gym towel or two. Those work great.

#22 8 years ago

^^^ Thanks for the tip. Might just get themed throw blankets, but ... want to look at options. I will soon be remodeling and I'm leaning to a good one that keeps out the massive amount of dust that I create too.

#23 8 years ago

I have a furniture re-upholsterer nearby and I also have access to someone who has an embroidery machine so I might try to make some kind of vinyl cover with a symbol or name on it. I'm not sure how to fasten it though.

#24 8 years ago

I made a couple pin covers (just for the cabinet, not the head).

I attached them to the top of the side rail with a small hook, like those on a bra. Works great...easy on and off!

Eric

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

I attached them to the top of the side rail with a small hook, like those on a bra. Works great...easy on and off!

Sounds like a good way to protect your pins from those pesky teenage boys.

#26 8 years ago

That was funny. Here's a picture of how it's attached.

pinball_cover_hook.jpgpinball_cover_hook.jpg

Eric

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dust-cover-recommendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.