Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinmike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0483.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

So I turn on my wh20 and I get an error. What the heck could it be, hmmmm. Date and time not set, that's weird. Well I guess the batteries are dead but I just installed new duracells two months ago. The batteries have a 2018 date on them. I guess they are just another battery like all the others now..when you think of duracells you think of quality, not anymore... Check your batteries ladies and gentleman.

IMAG0483.jpgIMAG0483.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Counterfeit batteries most likely.

Send them back and see what they say.

#3 11 years ago

I bought them at home depot. I don't think they would be fakes but who knows anymore.

#4 11 years ago

I think I'm more bummed that my high scores are gone.

#5 11 years ago

Okay, don't quote me on the exact cause, but there is a diode associated with the batteries that when they fail can make drain really quickly. I've never heard of counterfeit batteries...

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Okay, don't quote me on the exact cause, but there is a diode associated with the batteries that when they fail can make drain really quickly. I've never heard of counterfeit batteries...

Or, they could just be defective. Sh*t happens.

Replace them, if they leak again, time to look at D1 and D2.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I've never heard of counterfeit batteries...

I had some Duracells leak so bad in my Maglite that I could not get them out.

I sent the Maglite back to Duracell (they will repair or replace any device damaged by their batteries).

They said the batteries were counterfeit, and wanted to know where I bought them. Still sent me a new flashlight. Cool company.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I've never heard of counterfeit batteries.

Ohh yes there is...Batteries,toothpaste,halls cough drops,Etc. I can go on forever.They are targeting the items you would never think about counterfeiting,Pretty damn clever so it doesn't draw too much heat from the law.

#9 11 years ago

Man, sorry to hear about that one...
    It just goes to show no matter how hard we try to keep our pins in tip-top-shape; "Murphy" is always watching- just waiting to ram a Cessna 172 through the roof of our house(s) and into our beloved pins.
    (And yes... I have had that nightmare before!)

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Ohh yes there is...Batteries,toothpaste,halls cough drops,Etc. I can go on forever.They are targeting the items you would never think about counterfeiting,Pretty damn clever so it doesn't draw too much heat from the law.

... con't forget counterfeit pharmaceuticals as well.

I remember a few years ago when there were counterfeit Cel-Phone batteries for major brand phones being sold that had a nasty tendency to over heat, or even catch fire while being charged or used.

#11 11 years ago

indeed check the diode because when it's bad the game will try to recharge the battery..
    it's always a good idea after replacing batteries to check it a few weeks later again. when they survive the first month, they'll survive a year or 2

#12 11 years ago

#13 11 years ago

I recall reading a few times on RGP that it is known duracell batteries always tend to leak more over time. 2 months seems fast, but just thought I would add that. I never use them as such.

#14 11 years ago

"Replace them, if they leak again, time to look at D1 and D2.". Any known issues with diodes d1 and d2 on rottendog boards? That's what I have.

#15 11 years ago

They take about 3 minutes to test, but I guess some people in this thread see testing diodes as a last resort.

Quoted from doublezo1:

"Replace them, if they leak again, time to look at D1 and D2.". Any known issues with diodes d1 and d2 on rottendog boards? That's what I have.

#16 11 years ago

I've had Duracells leak after a very short time period as well. I don't buy the counterfeit product theory. The explanation is much simpler than that. Companies outsourcing production as a cost saving measure lose quality control and product consistency.

Sure, check the diode it's just smart to do so but the bottom line is don't trust ANY battery. Check often or better yet remotely locate the batteries or use capacitor back-up for same.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

... con't forget counterfeit pharmaceuticals as well.
    I remember a few years ago when there were counterfeit Cel-Phone batteries for major brand phones being sold that had a nasty tendency to over heat, or even catch fire while being charged or used.

The hottest fake stuff now is Fake Nike Air Jordan shoes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/duracells-really-two-months and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.