(Topic ID: 175002)

Durability of Pro vs Premium, your thoughts.

By newpinbin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by newpinbin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160902_141419 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Over the past few months I have been observing the quality of Stern builds. I have specifically been comparing the pro and premium models of the same games. My observations of the two models have led me to believe the quality of the Pro model is superior to the Premium. The three games that I have compared are AC/DC, Metallica,Ghostbusters and GOT. There are many more but these were the ones I noted. The premiums have additional items in them that often fail. There are many examples of this which I had observed. On the Metallica Prem, I have observed the snake and hammer to fail on multiple occasions. The Metallica Pro has not had these issues….grant it the pro does not have the hammer or snake jaw assembly, but thats what makes it a pro. This was just one of the many areas I am referring to. I’m interested to see if anyone else has noticed any differences in builds and feel the Pro is a better quality product.

20160902_141419 (resized).jpg20160902_141419 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I think quality is the wrong word. They're the same quality across the board. Yes, more mechanical toys means more things that could break down, but that's not a quality issue.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think quality is the wrong word. They're the same quality across the board. Yes, more mechanical toys means more things that could break down, but that's not a quality issue.

This... There's a reason that games like STTNG and TZ are known for being maintenance nightmares. It's because they've got a lot of crap on them! They aren't of lesser quality than a more simple game like AFM. Just more stuff that can break and cause issues.

#5 7 years ago

I have heard that Pro models were originally made for arcade operators.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Agreed pro has less toys mechanics etc.. With that said I have a Metallica pro LED and it has been great. The premiums I have owned in the past seemed to have had a few more problems

#7 7 years ago

Like others have said, the Pro has less things which can go wrong, but I find the reliability to be about the same.

#8 7 years ago

I agree. There is USUALLY more to go wrong with a Prem/LE and those models cater more to collectors and casual players than they do to operators. This has NOTHING at all to do with the quality or quality control, however. The machines are made with the same quality "stuff". Just more of it and, more complex designs using it.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from venom112:

Agreed pro has less toys mechanics etc.. With that said I have a Metallica pro LED and it has been great. The premiums I have owned in the past seemed to have had a few more problems

Metallica only seems to have issues with the prem. Have not hard of any yet with the pro.

#10 7 years ago

Metallica and kiss have been a pain as premium models on route. In fact I pulled kiss and replaced it with pros.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Metallica and kiss have been a pain as premium models on route. In fact I pulled kiss and replaced it with pros.

Any plans on doing the same with Metallica?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from newpinbin:

I have heard that Pro models were originally made for arcade operators.

I think that's generally the accepted thought, but it is more about economy and not quality (in my opinion). Operators are generally not going to spend the extra money for the extras in prem/LE, as it would take longer to recoup and in many cases, make no difference in earnings. Plenty of commercial establishments do buy Prem/LEs.

I think if Prem/LEs did break more, it's simply because they have more things that can break. Not to discount your observations, but it's anecdotal and without hard numbers, impossible to really know.

#13 7 years ago

By this logic, a car without air conditioning is better because the air conditioning can't break.

#14 7 years ago

Um, really? It's all the same parts and suppliers....Why would there be a difference? Sheesh

#15 7 years ago

You said 3

Then itemized 4 games

Your thread must be the premium version

#17 7 years ago

I see no difference in quality, but agree with the others that Pro has less stuff so less to break.

Indulge me a small tangent. I've had one Premium AC/DC, one Pro Mustang, and two LEs Tron, Star Trek. I'm so glad I got the Mustang. I had begun to fall into the trap the the Pros were not fun. I have really changed and now definitely consider the Pro when looking to add a game to my collection.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I see no difference in quality, but agree with the others that Pro has less stuff so less to break.
    Indulge me a small tangent. I've had one Premium AC/DC, one Pro Mustang, and two LEs Tron, Star Trek. I'm so glad I got the Mustang. I had begun to fall into the trap the the Pros were not fun. I have really changed and now definitely consider the Pro when looking to add a game to my collection.

Amen brother.. ACDC, Met, ST, Tron. Pros that stand very tall in LE company. And I've owned all variants.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

You said 3
    Then itemized 4 games
    Your thread must be the premium version

Should have been 4, As GOT perm. was another one I remembered having issues (CPU board). No issues with GOT pro though that I have seen.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/durability-of-pro-vs-premium-your-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.