17%
  • Outer Space 10 votes
    83%

(12 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Captive Ball Flyer (resized).jpg
Captive Ball (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juderussell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 4 years ago

I vote Outer Space (not played) vs Duotron (own, play often) - the playfield seems to have a lot more going on. Once you master banging the captive ball back and forth without draining, Duotron is pretty easy to rack up points, except for lighting up the special which is damn near impossible unless you hit the A lane at the start of play.

It's been a great first game (not too much going on under the playfield so not bad to keep running) but I could see trading up at some point.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Duotron for me plays very posty,
i.e. ball always seems to hit the posts surrounding the spot targets or captive ball horseshoe.

No help on the spot targets, but I've gone back and forth with the captive ball. My game came set up with individual rings around posts, but when I ordered a ring kit, it came with a 4" rubber ring that wrapped completely around the captive ball island. Apparently this is the way it was designed (see flyer excerpt below). Definitely make the captive ball less posty, maybe too easy to hit.

You miss that satisfying click of ball-on-ball contact. But the larger captive island ring is a lot more springy for balls in upper playfield area.

I'm definitely in the fence, have set it up both ways, but I seem to have settled on the larger ring at this point.

Captive Ball Flyer (resized).jpgCaptive Ball Flyer (resized).jpgCaptive Ball (resized).jpgCaptive Ball (resized).jpg
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When I'd shopped my Magnotron (forgot it wasn't the 2 player I had) I assumed there were just the posts around the captive ball with no large ring. And now that I think of it that makes the shot not worth as much since the ball won't bounce back and forth as much (or at all) and rack up more bonus. Probably hurt my overall opinion of it.

Think it's a timing thing, but bouncing back and forth (which does happen a lot) only scores 1x (3 bonus advances for 5-ball, 5 for 3-ball) - I was worried about a double score making the captive hole even more valuable, but I've never noticed that. As opposed to the upper kickers - where the ball does get hung up and score multiple times.

Still, it's pretty easy to hit the captive ball if one catches the ball, either shooting same side (left-left or right-right) or crossing over - so all it takes is 1-2 good balls to rack up a good score.

I do find the center captive hole is easier to hit with the big ring; when it was small post rings, it was indeed, as pinwiztom notes "posty" (love that term) and hard to get the ball to settle in. I sat down with the schematic not too long ago to figure out how the captive hole value worked - it's related to the number of bonus advances: 0-3 = 1000, 4-6 = 2000, 7-9 = 3000, 10-12 = 4000, 13-15 = 5000). Initially I thought it was related to number of times you hit the hole, and since the captive hole also advances the bonus, sometimes it increments the hole value by chance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juderussell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/duotron-vs-outer-space?tu=juderussell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.