(Topic ID: 331950)

Duotron scores but doesn’t chime on the tens?

By Redcloud

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Redcloud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hey folks,
Just putting back my Duotron and noticed that my tens will score but won’t chime. It also flickers a bit whenever it hits a ten point scoring opportunity. I tried to make it chime and score manually and something under the playfield “clicked” and it blew a 15amp fuse! Everything else is working and the game is playable but I’d like to track down this chiming/flickering issue with the tens scoring.
Any pointers from all you seasoned veterans?
Thanks in advance!

#2 1 year ago

Check to see that your tens relay isn't stuck on. If the tens relay is stuck on, then you probably have a playfield switch needing adjustment. Then clean and adjust the contacts on the tens relay. One of the sets of contacts fires the chime unit.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

Hey folks,
Just putting back my Duotron and noticed that my tens will score but won’t chime. It also flickers a bit whenever it hits a ten point scoring opportunity. I tried to make it chime and score manually and something under the playfield “clicked” and it blew a 15amp fuse! Everything else is working and the game is playable but I’d like to track down this chiming/flickering issue with the tens scoring.
Any pointers from all you seasoned veterans?
Thanks in advance!

So after replacing the fuse, where are you?

No chime but the reel scores is the switch that powers the chime on the relay, or the plunger can get gunked and stuck in the coil.

#4 1 year ago

@JethroP, I don’t think the tens relay is stuck on, however, that’s the only thing that I’ve been messing with/adjusting. I was trying to activate what I thought was the chime switch I the tens rely when it blew the fuse. There are four places on the playfield to score ten points, two upper and two slings.

#5 1 year ago

@EMsInKC, Replaced the 15amp fuse and it’s ready to play, just no chime on only the tens, plus the entire playfield still flickers when I hit a tens scoring opportunity. Installed all new plungers, new coil sleeves and one new coil in the rebuilt chime box.

#6 1 year ago

Could be the actual tens reel relay.

If the chime
Switch is dirty or out of adjustment it will still score you just won’t get a chime.

#7 1 year ago

What happens when you intermittently short the switch on the 10s relay that operate the chime? Did you clean those contacts?

#8 1 year ago

from post #2 above:

Quoted from JethroP:

Then clean and adjust the contacts on the tens relay. One of the sets of contacts fires the chime unit.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

What happens when you intermittently short the switch on the 10s relay that operate the chime? Did you clean those contacts?

Cleaned all of those contacts.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:What happens when you intermittently short the switch on the 10s relay that operate the chime? Did you clean those contacts?

When I intermittently short the set of contacts that I thought were to the chime, is when it blew the fuse!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

When I intermittently short the set of contacts that I thought were to the chime, is when it blew the fuse!

Check the resistance of the chime coil in question

#13 1 year ago

So…..still can’t get the tens to chime. The chime box works as I swapped the tens with the hundreds and it chimed on the box. I’ve tweaked the switches on the tens relay until I’m blue in the face! When I manually activate the chime switch on the tens relay…it momentarily dims/ flickers the playfield lights but does nothing in the chime box.

#14 1 year ago

To help track down the problem, i would unsolder the blue-black chime power wire on the backbox female jones plug. This will help determine if the problem is in the backbox or the cabinet.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

So…..still can’t get the tens to chime. The chime box works as I swapped the tens with the hundreds and it chimed on the box. I’ve tweaked the switches on the tens relay until I’m blue in the face! When I manually activate the chime switch on the tens relay…it momentarily dims/ flickers the playfield lights but does nothing in the chime box.

The playfield lights are on the 6v circuit, not the 24v coil circuit. The coil being energized should not cause that unless you are getting power from the 24v circuit into the 6v side

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

To help track down the problem, i would unsolder the blue-black chime power wire on the backbox female jones plug. This will help determine if the problem is in the backbox or the cabinet.

So, unsolder the blue black chime power wire on the back box female side of the Jones plug and then what? Turn it on? Excuse my ignorance but I’m pretty new to this hobby. Thanks for replying!

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

The playfield lights are on the 6v circuit, not the 24v coil circuit. The coil being energized should not cause that unless you are getting power from the 24v circuit into the 6v side

Thanks for replying KC. When I manually activate the tens switch or on the tens on the playfield the entire playfield lights flicker. If I do it multiple times it blows the 15 amp fuse!

#18 1 year ago

Yes after unsoldering the wire, turn machine back on and test for dimming problem.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

I tried to make it chime and score manually and something under the playfield “clicked” and it blew a 15amp fuse!

Going back to square one for a minute....Did the chime ever work for you? What changed? Did you do some wiring "repairs" or anything before it quit working?

Another question: When you say something under the playfield "clicked" and blew a fuse, was it the chime clicking, or was there another solenoid under the playfield that was energizing?

The fact that the lights dim when you attempt to energize the chime coil (and the fact that you have blown a fuse) indicates a heavy draw on the power supply. You may have a short somewhere, or a bad coil.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Going back to square one for a minute....Did the chime ever work for you? What changed? Did you do some wiring "repairs" or anything before it quit working?
Another question: When you say something under the playfield "clicked" and blew a fuse, was it the chime clicking, or was there another solenoid under the playfield that was energizing?
The fact that the lights dim when you attempt to energize the chime coil (and the fact that you have blown a fuse) indicates a heavy draw on the power supply. You may have a short somewhere, or a bad coil.

Jethro, Thanks for the reply!
The machine has been stored in an old army barracks for over 25 years! When I got it all three chime plungers were stuck to the old beer seal and had to be pried away. The tens chime coil was fried and the plunger was melted. Ive since rebuilt the chime unit with new tens coil, three new plungers, new coil sleeves etc. I’ve thoroughly cleaned all score reels and steppers. I suspect some kind of short, somewhere because of the fried tens coil, the fat dimming of the playfield lights whenever I manually activate the tens relay chime switch. Currently, if you put a ball in play, everything works, chimes and scores as it should except for the four places on the playfield that score ten points, which score, but do not chime. Numerous and consecutive activation of the tens relay switch is what makes the 15amp fuse, blow. Not sure what “clicks” and can’t seem to spot anything else energizing while activating it.

#21 1 year ago

Gottlieb games usually have the points relays in the backbox. The chimes are in the cabinet, so they have to connect through a Jones plug. If jumpering switch marked "H" in the above schematic doesn't fire your chime coil, then suspect a Jones plug.

Also I highly recommend getting (or making) a 24 volt test lamp, Makes it much easier to confirm bad coils or open circuits.

#22 1 year ago

Try disconnecting the 10's chime coil (or remove the plunger), then activate the chime switch at the relay and listen again for that click under the playfield. If you find that "click", that may lead to what is shorting.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

The chime box works as I swapped the tens with the hundreds and it chimed on the box.

Clarify this. You swapped coils and the 10's chimed? Or you wired the 10's to the 100's and the 100's chimed? Or what??

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Clarify this. You swapped coils and the 10's chimed? Or you wired the 10's to the 100's and the 100's chimed? Or what??

10s to the 100s and vice versa

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

10s to the 100s and vice versa

Still unclear. Are you saying you confirmed the 10 chime works when connected to the 100 chime relay? Or the 100 chime worked when connected to the 10 chime relay?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Still unclear. Are you saying you confirmed the 10 chime works when connected to the 100 chime relay? Or the 100 chime worked when connected to the 10 chime relay?

All chimes work. The tens chime worked when connected to the 100s chime relay

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

All chimes work. The tens chime worked when connected to the 100s chime relay

ie he's got a short in the lead from the 10s relay to the chime box. told him to unsolder at the jones plug and you can determine if its in head wiring of bottom board wiring...

Next step inspect the pinch points. If its in the head wiring, easy enough to run a new lead and replace.

With it unsoldered and powered off you can measure resistance between the lead and the black wire return thats on ever coil

#28 1 year ago

Ok folks, problem solved! Thanks to everyone who responded trying to help me with this issue. @EMsInKC, @JethroP, @HowardR, @edednedy, and especially @pinhead52!
Total rookie mistake,…my tens chime would score but not chime and would make the entire playfield lighting flicker. Activating the tens relay repeatedly would end up blowing the 15 amp fuse. Well….I had installed a new coil in the tens chime box…..and…..did not remove the diode!! After removing the diode….everything is working, perfectly.
Thanks again to this awesome community!

#29 1 year ago

I wonder why it worked fine when you rang the 10's chime from the 100 point relay? Hmmm.

#30 1 year ago

@jethrop,
That is a good question. I never thought of that. I did unsolder at the back of the Jones plug prior to discovering the unsnipped diode. I kept jumpering from relay to jones plug to chime box and all points in between! Once I removed the diode and resoldered all… it’s been working flawlessly.
Any thoughts?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/duotron-scores-but-doesnt-chime-on-the-tens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.