Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by rod90
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE2D3406-5EB2-45D3-ABF6-C339460FC7AE (resized).jpeg
    88C5BA90-46A0-4D92-AD8D-A14F17B0F12B (resized).jpeg
    5C9B4576-4D67-4D8E-BD3E-471D237C9F60 (resized).jpeg
    dune-taran-lopez-617x1024 (resized).jpg
    8e62f5d18a42c5bcbd80ac73217cebdf (resized).jpg
    d0f18e87-abbf-444e-9ff1-d14168222b0a_screenshot (resized).jpg
    9C1692EE-7FFC-466E-B8C8-87D95E5AB948 (resized).png
    390C6DFB-2E26-43BB-BE50-964FB9D7150D (resized).jpeg
    857DEA03-6FD5-4F53-A0AE-22FEE08C6CF4 (resized).jpeg
    horror backglss (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skink91.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Would love a Dune pin.

One of my dream themes.

#33 4 years ago

I will have to try the Brian/Kevin books again. As much as I love the original series, I just had a really tough time staying interested in the prequel books.

I will give it another go.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The writing style is pretty different from Frank's books. That's part of why I tore through those 5 books. It's not quite so dry and heavy.

I just really prefer Frank’s writing style, I guess. Life would be pretty boring if everyone liked all the same things!

7 months later
    #50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Okay, no more fan-made bs. Here is the first real deal official trailer. Is it pinworthy?

So, so, so pinworthy. And did you hear the Floyd playing toward the end?

Fear is the mind-killer. Need it now.

1 month later
    #70 3 years ago
    Quoted from Makakka:

This 19th century old sci-fi style is clearly outdated and the book I remember was more of a philosophical religious take on primitive nomads (fremes) ie boring. I don’t see it having punch anymore and the new movie is sign of the decline of Hollywood and it’s values what a cringe.

Yeah, I pretty much disagree whole-heartedly with this sentiment.

Old sci-fi style is IMO the coolest sci-fi style, and to say Herbert was merely providing some philosophical/religious take on things is no more true of the Dune world he built as it would be if the same was said about Tolkein’s.

That said - it (religion) plays a massive role in the universe he built, but perhaps not in the way you frame it (i.e. just to the ‘primitive’ fremen). Herbert highlights the power structures that all individuals have that form the nucleus of the various groups presented.

I guess I didn’t see anything in the new trailer that struck me as not having punch, showed “Hollywood values”(?), or cringe-worthy.

I agree that a GOT type approach (i.e. play as Harkonnens, Bene Gesserit, etc) ruleset would make sense. My biggest concern would be that the game designers would get too hung up on the sandworm and miss the richness of the Dune universe. If the focus is going to be the sandworms, they may as well just do a Tremors pin.

9 months later
    #77 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If I understand it correctly, this new movie is is intended to be part one of two to cover the original Dune novel. So it will end somewhere partway through the story. Then, presumably only if it is successful, they will need to film part 2.

Hopefully (if they’re smart) they filmed both parts already.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If it tanks at the box office and loses money, then it is likely that the one movie telling half the story will sit there dangling forever, adding another chapter to the list of Dune film failures.

IMO relying on box office success alone for Dune movies is a total marketing/sales miss. This IP is ripe for people like us (pins, video games, spinoffs, etc)

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha, its not even box office; ill be watching on HBOMax

(That makes two of us)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skink91.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-hype-dune-pinball-hype?tu=skink91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.