Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by rod90
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE2D3406-5EB2-45D3-ABF6-C339460FC7AE (resized).jpeg
    88C5BA90-46A0-4D92-AD8D-A14F17B0F12B (resized).jpeg
    5C9B4576-4D67-4D8E-BD3E-471D237C9F60 (resized).jpeg
    dune-taran-lopez-617x1024 (resized).jpg
    8e62f5d18a42c5bcbd80ac73217cebdf (resized).jpg
    d0f18e87-abbf-444e-9ff1-d14168222b0a_screenshot (resized).jpg
    9C1692EE-7FFC-466E-B8C8-87D95E5AB948 (resized).png
    390C6DFB-2E26-43BB-BE50-964FB9D7150D (resized).jpeg
    857DEA03-6FD5-4F53-A0AE-22FEE08C6CF4 (resized).jpeg
    horror backglss (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

Based on the evidence so far, I can neither confirm nor deny that I like it.

#52 3 years ago

We're gonna need a bigger miner. I thought it was a pretty awesome trailer.

dune-taran-lopez-617x1024 (resized).jpgdune-taran-lopez-617x1024 (resized).jpg
    #53 3 years ago

Pretty good trailer....except the knock off Floyd was awful.
    Of course trailers jobs are to be good so doean mean much. Paul is gonna have to win me over.

Edit: I trust Villunuava

#54 3 years ago

The kid that is playing Paul is quite a talented actor. Very stoic.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

The kid that is playing Paul is quite a talented actor. Very stoic.

So was Eddie Raymond till Jupiter Assending

#56 3 years ago

It looks much better than a lot of the schlock we're getting on the big screen these days. I'll probably go see it in theaters, which is a rarity for me.

#57 3 years ago

Not Jimmy's funniest bit but relevant to this thread anyway.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pretty good trailer....except the knock off Floyd was awful.

Agreed, but trailers often have music that's not used in the final movie (see Smashing Pumpkins/Muse for 'Watchmen' and NIN used in '300' trailers).

I do have hope for this Dune though.....Hans Zimmer is doing the score.

Later,
    EV

#60 3 years ago

Pink Floyd in the Dune trailer was an eye roller on par with "All Along the Watchtower" making an unwelcome appearance in Battlestar Galactica. Pop culture references like those completely remove me from the world-building. Another example: dropping "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys into the Star Trek Universe. Anyway, I agree the Dune film score is in great hands with Zimmer. BTW, another talented composer to check out is Ramin Djawadi on Westwold.

#61 3 years ago

sadly, Dune would make a horrible pin. The source materials are just too slow paced. Though maybe you could do something similar to the old strategy board game where you have to hold cities on the planet?

#62 3 years ago

Double post

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from balt:

Pink Floyd in the Dune trailer was an eye roller on par with "All Along the Watchtower" making an unwelcome appearance in Battlestar Galactica. Pop culture references like those completely remove me from the world-building. Another example: dropping "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys into the Star Trek Universe. Anyway, I agree the Dune film score is in great hands with Zimmer. BTW, another talented composer to check out is Ramin Djawadi on Westwold.

Dude it’s a fake trailer.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

See post #49 on page 1.
    Trailer was released About a week ago
    Film release is 12/18/2020.

It looks like it might be a decent film.
    hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

No, its official.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, its official.

Sorry didn’t see the one a few pages back. Someone posted a fake trailer mashing up a bunch of shit a few posts ago that’s what I was referring to.

2 weeks later
    #67 3 years ago

Well, gotta wait another year for the movie.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Well, gotta wait another year for the movie.

Yeah just saw that too...sucks.

#69 3 years ago

Mhh watched Lynch movie as early teen and read the first book loved it back then. Yesterday 25 years later saw the Lynch movie again. This 19th century old sci-fi style is clearly outdated and the book I remember was more of a philosophical religious take on primitive nomads (fremes) ie boring. I don’t see it having punch anymore and the new movie is sign of the decline of Hollywood and it’s values what a cringe.

A deep Dune pin where you can chose your faction would be something maybe that’s the 80s franchise dr is having...You can learn from the mistakes of GOT where the code was too lame and slow. It must be monumental with overwhelming worm attacks on harvesters and worm control multiball then I would buy that bc at some point I still have a weakness for that theme.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from Makakka:

This 19th century old sci-fi style is clearly outdated and the book I remember was more of a philosophical religious take on primitive nomads (fremes) ie boring. I don’t see it having punch anymore and the new movie is sign of the decline of Hollywood and it’s values what a cringe.

Yeah, I pretty much disagree whole-heartedly with this sentiment.

Old sci-fi style is IMO the coolest sci-fi style, and to say Herbert was merely providing some philosophical/religious take on things is no more true of the Dune world he built as it would be if the same was said about Tolkein’s.

That said - it (religion) plays a massive role in the universe he built, but perhaps not in the way you frame it (i.e. just to the ‘primitive’ fremen). Herbert highlights the power structures that all individuals have that form the nucleus of the various groups presented.

I guess I didn’t see anything in the new trailer that struck me as not having punch, showed “Hollywood values”(?), or cringe-worthy.

I agree that a GOT type approach (i.e. play as Harkonnens, Bene Gesserit, etc) ruleset would make sense. My biggest concern would be that the game designers would get too hung up on the sandworm and miss the richness of the Dune universe. If the focus is going to be the sandworms, they may as well just do a Tremors pin.

#71 3 years ago

If JJP can make a deep pin on WOZ or the Hobbit than this theme should be right up their alley.

9 months later
    #72 2 years ago

New trailer is up.

#74 2 years ago

I don’t know. I reread the book about 6 months ago when I heard they were making another movie and unless the movie is 5 hrs long that’s a pretty significant story to cram into 2 hours. I think it would be a tremendous 6-8 part series on HBO or Amazon (or Netflix etc…). I’ll still check it out for sure. I’m not one of those “the book was way better” guys because it always is (maybe I am I guess haha). But I LOVE films that do great books justice.

#75 2 years ago

I have to admit that Dune is the only movie that I ever purchased the blue ray disc for, so that I could watch it anytime I wanted to. Of Course, that was the previous version, assuming there is a new version coming out. I am curious how the machine will play with this theme.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I don’t know. I reread the book about 6 months ago when I heard they were making another movie and unless the movie is 5 hrs long that’s a pretty significant story to cram into 2 hours. I think it would be a tremendous 6-8 part series on HBO or Amazon (or Netflix etc…). I’ll still check it out for sure. I’m not one of those “the book was way better” guys because it always is (maybe I am I guess haha). But I LOVE films that do great books justice.

If I understand it correctly, this new movie is is intended to be part one of two to cover the original Dune novel. So it will end somewhere partway through the story. Then, presumably only if it is successful, they will need to film part 2.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If I understand it correctly, this new movie is is intended to be part one of two to cover the original Dune novel. So it will end somewhere partway through the story. Then, presumably only if it is successful, they will need to film part 2.

Hopefully (if they’re smart) they filmed both parts already.

#78 2 years ago

Is this movie ever coming out ? What’s the new release date ?

#79 2 years ago

Slight digression,
    did anyone play dune 2 pc arcade? It was the dawn of a game type.

I spent Many hours playing. The blizzard folks created their company partially due to the lack of a sequel to play at the time.

I was this told personally by one of the founders of blizzard at a magic card tourney. In about 1994. I believed him. Orcs vs humans was about to come out. He had the box on his sale card table.

The Westwood team made command and conquer as their follow up instead. Like five years later.

5C9B4576-4D67-4D8E-BD3E-471D237C9F60 (resized).jpeg5C9B4576-4D67-4D8E-BD3E-471D237C9F60 (resized).jpeg
    #80 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Hopefully (if they’re smart) they filmed both parts already.

Well, this is a big point. They did not. The natural conclusion to draw from this is that the studio did not want to foot the bill to film both up front. So plainly the possibility of the second part rests firmly of the success of the first part. If it tanks at the box office and loses money, then it is likely that the one movie telling half the story will sit there dangling forever, adding another chapter to the list of Dune film failures.

There is no guarantee it will succeed. The second trailer doesn’t present anything that makes me not like it, but it also doesn’t really present anything that gets me pumped either. It looks like it could work. However, that’s all irrelevant, even if the movie is great for me as a Dune fan, it can still fail hugely. There aren’t enough Dune fans to fill up the box office, such as you got with Harry Potter for example. The books are too philosophical to generate a large audience.

So they have to figure out a way to tell that story and make it interesting and exciting so the general public will enjoy it. By general public, I mean all those people who have never read the books. It could be done I think. I believe David Lynch realized early on that to make a great movie he needed to incorporate lots of martial arts and swordplay, along with massive battle scenes. He didn’t have the capability to do all that at that time, so they invented the dumbass weirding module and sent the whole film straight down the toilet.

I am wishing them the best. But I don’t feel that the odds are good. Maybe 50:50 at this point.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is this movie ever coming out ? What’s the new release date ?

As of now Oct 22.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

As of now Oct 22.

Thanks -

I’m not thrilled by the trailers either, but I know Denis Villanueve (sp?) has the balls to pull this off. Hopefully the studio does

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

If it tanks at the box office and loses money, then it is likely that the one movie telling half the story will sit there dangling forever, adding another chapter to the list of Dune film failures.

IMO relying on box office success alone for Dune movies is a total marketing/sales miss. This IP is ripe for people like us (pins, video games, spinoffs, etc)

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

IMO relying on box office success alone....

Ha, its not even box office; ill be watching on HBOMax

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

That’s great news if the case.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

(That makes two of us)

#87 2 years ago

Dune pin Would be very cool. Excited to see the progress on the Fury Road home brew a pinsider is working on

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Most people will, so be prepared for a cliffhanger that never results in a Part 2.

#89 2 years ago

Its all just a Duncan Idaho solo vehicle!

If its 1/3 of what BR2049 was ill be happy.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Its all just a Duncan Idaho solo vehicle!
    If its 1/3 of what BR2049 was ill be happy.

Totally agree

#91 2 years ago

2 parter? I might just have to wait until the second arrives to watch both, myself.

Here comes the milkman.

88C5BA90-46A0-4D92-AD8D-A14F17B0F12B (resized).jpeg88C5BA90-46A0-4D92-AD8D-A14F17B0F12B (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #92 2 years ago

The new trailer looks fucking awesome! I have not been this stoked to see a movie in a long time. I definately want to see this in IMAX. I can only pray it doesnt go "woke." This looks totally pin worthy, but maybe its just too deep to be a pin? I wonder if there will be any cameos from the lynch film?

3 weeks later
    #94 2 years ago

I have yet to watch the documentary "Joworsky's Dune" this is a pretty cool animation on the gieger designs for it.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I have yet to watch the documentary "Joworsky's Dune" this is a pretty cool animation on the gieger designs for it.

Its a good watch for entertainment value, Joworsky was waaaay out there. His vision for Dune was pretty kooky. I don't know if it would have been good, but it would have been much different than the novel.

Also if you like Giger, you should watch the documentary Dark Star. Its really good.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

The documentary is super fun. I'm ambivalent about a dune pin based on any of the movies, but a dune pin based on Jodorowsky trying to make dune is something I would sell a kidney for. Different modes for trying to flatter Dali enough to play the emperor, or sending enough bottles of wine to Orson Welles' table to get him to play Baron Harkonen. Obviously the wizard mode would have to be trying to secure funding. Jodorowsky says enough nutty things to have callouts for days.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

We're gonna need a bigger miner. I thought it was a pretty awesome trailer.
    [quoted image]

That reminds me of the Jaws movie poster. I really love the Lynch movie and don't really get the hate. I bought the SyFy min series last year, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. I really hope the new movie does this book justice.

The first book was best and the next three were pretty good. Books 5 and 6, I could do without. FH's use of the Duncan Ghola got old along with repetitive plots.

A DUNE pin would be amazing.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

did anyone play dune 2 pc arcade? It was the dawn of a game type.

yesssssss, in my top 5 of all time favorite PC games. the birth of the RTS genre, and i don't think anyone ever topped it. been dying for a remaster, but i think the rights are all screwy. the first Dune PC game was completely different, and had the highest atmospheric punch of almost any game i've played. there were supposed to be a few Dune games released around the release of the new movie, but i haven't heard a peep out of them.

i'd pre-purchase a Dune pin the day anyone announced one.

#99 2 years ago
    FE2D3406-5EB2-45D3-ABF6-C339460FC7AE (resized).jpegFE2D3406-5EB2-45D3-ABF6-C339460FC7AE (resized).jpeg
    2 months later
    #100 2 years ago

Following.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-hype-dune-pinball-hype/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.