Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by rod90
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE2D3406-5EB2-45D3-ABF6-C339460FC7AE (resized).jpeg
    88C5BA90-46A0-4D92-AD8D-A14F17B0F12B (resized).jpeg
    5C9B4576-4D67-4D8E-BD3E-471D237C9F60 (resized).jpeg
    dune-taran-lopez-617x1024 (resized).jpg
    8e62f5d18a42c5bcbd80ac73217cebdf (resized).jpg
    d0f18e87-abbf-444e-9ff1-d14168222b0a_screenshot (resized).jpg
    9C1692EE-7FFC-466E-B8C8-87D95E5AB948 (resized).png
    390C6DFB-2E26-43BB-BE50-964FB9D7150D (resized).jpeg
    857DEA03-6FD5-4F53-A0AE-22FEE08C6CF4 (resized).jpeg
    horror backglss (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I'll be honest, Ive never read the book, but after about 40 viewings on early cable tv I learned to love the lynch film. Sounds like the new movie is slated to be in 2 parts. Im really looking forward to this movie and pinball if its a box office success. it already has a long standing following. Post your DUNE info and ideas here. The spice must flow.

#2 4 years ago

The Dune story was thought so complex that when I saw the Lynch film in theaters they felt it necessary to hand out a cheat sheet with a detailed glossary and dramatis personae. Sadly Lynch’s film was fatally flawed, as I believe any film attempt of this epic is destined to be. Herbert’s masterwork is too cerebral, too nuanced to ever be fully captured in a motion picture. While it may be possible to make a good Dune film, it will always fall very short of the original source material.

#3 4 years ago

Lynch film is great, Villeneuve could make another great one or 2, bookers will still piss and moan, and there's no chance of a pinball machine.

#4 4 years ago

One from the where are they now files.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

One from the where are they now files.
    [quoted image]

Rough show; I tried once.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Rough show; I tried once.

Yeah, when I saw his name in the credits, it took me a while to figure out who he was in the show. That Disney chick is looking pretty hot these days though.

#7 4 years ago

Link to Trailer 1. I like this kid they cast for Paul. I thought he was really good in Netflix "The King". Also cast is Oscar Issac as the Duke. I like him but man it seems like he's in everything now. Baptista as Fade.

#8 4 years ago

Please no shitty fan made trailers

I assume Batista is the Beast not Feyd

#9 4 years ago

Would love a Dune pin.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Please no shitty fan made trailers
    I assume Batista is the Beast not Fayde

Yes your right. The Beast, like you.

#11 4 years ago

Pin would need a sandworm for certain

#12 4 years ago

Tubular Sandworm ramp! Ball goes in, Spice comes out.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Would love a Dune pin.

One of my dream themes.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That Disney chick is looking pretty hot these days though.

Still a fan of the old blonde look personally.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Still a fan of the old blonde look personally.

She has a little better control of her facial expressions now.

lol. Look at you and me. Disney Channel veterans.

#16 4 years ago

Amazing books, I even like the Lynch film though it’s really a different take on it. Pretty much everything Lynch touches is “different” though, guess that should have been expected. There was a great doc on Netflix about the original Dune film that never made it, amazing how many other films that unfinished work influenced!

Yes, could be an amazing pin, huge potential. Hopefully just not another quick license cash grab with clip art and no substance, been too much of this lately especially on Stern’s front. Sadly, I think the new movies would have to be massive to ever get enough modern fans to make it happen so chances are thin.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from mac2444:

Amazing books, I even like the Lynch film though it’s really a different take on it. Pretty much everything Lynch touches is “different” though, guess that should have been expected. There was a great doc on Netflix about the original Dune film that never made it, amazing how many other films that unfinished work influenced!
    Yes, could be an amazing pin, huge potential. Hopefully just not another quick license cash grab with clip art and no substance, been too much of this lately especially on Stern’s front. Sadly, I think the new movies would have to be massive to ever get enough modern fans to make it happen so chances are thin.

Whats the doc of Dune on Netflix called? Never saw it.

#18 4 years ago

One of two movies that I've walked out of in my life. The remake can only be better, can't be worse.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Whats the doc of Dune on Netflix called? Never saw it.

Jodorowsky's Dune

Not sure if it's still on Netflix.

#20 4 years ago

That’s the one, ya, I caught it a year or two back

#21 4 years ago

The spice must flow.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

The remake can only be better, can't be worse.

So true. I thought Lynch's attempt was slow and confusing.

#23 4 years ago

Here is a backglass from a zaccaria conversion kit. Pretty weird. Looks like Jack in back from The Shining. Guess the Italians though Dune was a HORRORable film too. To those who didn't like it give it another watch as it is highly regarding among mainstream sci-fi geeks, like me.

horror backglss (resized).jpghorror backglss (resized).jpg
    #24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

Jodorowsky's Dune
    Not sure if it's still on Netflix.

I would love to see a reproduction of the Bible for this project.
    Unfortunately that’s never going to happen.

390C6DFB-2E26-43BB-BE50-964FB9D7150D (resized).jpeg390C6DFB-2E26-43BB-BE50-964FB9D7150D (resized).jpeg857DEA03-6FD5-4F53-A0AE-22FEE08C6CF4 (resized).jpeg857DEA03-6FD5-4F53-A0AE-22FEE08C6CF4 (resized).jpeg9C1692EE-7FFC-466E-B8C8-87D95E5AB948 (resized).png9C1692EE-7FFC-466E-B8C8-87D95E5AB948 (resized).png
    #25 4 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I would love to see a reproduction of the Bible for this project.
    Unfortunately that’s never going to happen.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'd love to flip through that thing. Wow.

#26 4 years ago

There's a documentary about that movie that never got made. Never seen the doc, but I've heard good things about it.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

There's a documentary about that movie that never got made. Never seen the doc, but I've heard good things about it.

Check it out!
    I thought it was excellent.

#28 4 years ago

I'd like see Dune pinball have an Orbiter 1 style playfield and pop up sandworms like the Hobbit.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I'd like see Dune pinball have an Orbiter 1 style playfield and pop up sandworms like the Hobbit.

Please god no. I want an actual, legit pinball machine, not a novelty.

I'm trying to not let myself get too hyped for this movie. I loved the Lynch version, and have the Sci-Fi channel version on DVD still, which is also great.

I want one of the tilt callouts to be "I was a friend of Jamis."

#30 4 years ago

Walk without rhthym
    And you won't attract the worm

d0f18e87-abbf-444e-9ff1-d14168222b0a_screenshot (resized).jpgd0f18e87-abbf-444e-9ff1-d14168222b0a_screenshot (resized).jpg

#31 4 years ago

As an aside for Dune fans: Frank Herbert's son Brian (along with Kevin Anderson) have written a huge prequel series in the Dune world. I believe they have written about 13 books now. I have read the first 9 and they are excellent! I loved all of Franks Dune books, though I have to admit that some of the last ones were a little bogged down for me and seemed to drag at times. Brian's books though read quick and do an INCREDIBLE job of tying in the original series and the Dune universe.
    https://brianherbertnovels.com/dune-series/

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fremen:

As an aside for Dune fans: Frank Herbert's son Brian (along with Kevin Anderson) have written a huge prequel series in the Dune world. I believe they have written about 13 books now. I have read the first 9 and they are excellent! I loved all of Franks Dune books, though I have to admit that some of the last ones were a little bogged down for me and seemed to drag at times. Brian's books though read quick and do an INCREDIBLE job of tying in the original series and the Dune universe.
    https://brianherbertnovels.com/dune-series/

Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusade, and Battle of Corrin are absolutely required reading for just about any Dune fan, IMO. They're FANTASTIC. I didn't make it through the "House" series, but finished Atredies and Harkonnen, just not Corrino. Haven't been reading much the last few years so haven't gotten around to the others.....but those three.... I tore them up in like a week. Which for some people might be slow, but for me, that was phenomenally fast.

#33 4 years ago

I will have to try the Brian/Kevin books again. As much as I love the original series, I just had a really tough time staying interested in the prequel books.

I will give it another go.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I will have to try the Brian/Kevin books again. As much as I love the original series, I just had a really tough time staying interested in the prequel books.
    I will give it another go.

The writing style is pretty different from Frank's books. That's part of why I tore through those 5 books. It's not quite so dry and heavy.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The writing style is pretty different from Frank's books. That's part of why I tore through those 5 books. It's not quite so dry and heavy.

agree with you that i tore through them as well as I loved the Dune world but Frank's writing lost my attention at times. Also agree that Jihad/Crusade/Corrin were incredible, my favorite of first 9 by far.

#36 4 years ago

Big fan of the film from the 80's, what a great theme for a pin.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I just really prefer Frank’s writing style, I guess. Life would be pretty boring if everyone liked all the same things!

#38 4 years ago

I have been refraining from this thread because I am one of those dreaded bookers. But it looks like it’s ok. I have read the original trilogy at least a dozen times. And all the Frank Herbert books multiple times. I also have read all of Brian’s books twice. About a year ago I reread the entire series in chronological order. It’s a pretty good way to do it, you really get a feel of how the whole series fits together over time. I would recommend this way for those who are getting into it. This is a good reference to get them in order.

https://www.dunenovels.com/articles/tags-blog/chronology

That’s 18 novels plus some short stories. It’s massive, but great.

For someone coming in cold I think it would it probably would be best to start with Dune and the next two. Those set the standard. But I think they are all good. It’s gets a bit heavy at times and maybe bogged a bit down here and there, but still, all great stuff.

#39 4 years ago

Is it true that gottlieb passed on Dune and opted for Krull? I wonder what the price would be on them be now if they went with Dune.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I have been refraining from this thread because I am one of those dreaded bookers.

Nothing wrong with being a booker, as long as you don't say its "better than the film" because that's crap. I don't care what book it is, it can never be better than watching a movie. JMO

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Nothing wrong with being a booker, as long as you don't say its "better than the film" because that's crap. I don't care what book it is, it can never be better than watching a movie. JMO

Ender's Game.
    Starship Troopers.
    Logan's Run.

I love all of these movies, but no way they're better than the books.

#42 4 years ago

I read all the Conan books and there is no way the movies were better. The authors description and details would be hard to put on screen.

#43 4 years ago

I look at is as two different things, not really directly compared to each other. In other words, the movie doesn’t have to be better than the book, or the book better than the movie. The question is, is it a good book? And is it a good movie?

Book-based movies almost always take liberties or make changes for the book. Sometimes the question is, did they veer away to far and ruin the feel of the book? That’s something that’s always up for debate. Some would say, if the audience never read the book and they thought the movie was great, it’s a success. I’d have to agree with that. The Shining was a great movie. It did veer from the book in fairly big ways, and this is probably why King never liked it. But still the movie told a great story in the general spirit of the book. A great movie and a great book.

But sometimes the changes are so great, it’s just hard to take, even if the movie was pretty good overall. An example of this is the first version of the a Girl with the a Dragon Tatoo. It was pretty good overall, until the end. The very last scene was a complete 180 turn from the book. Totally and completely opposite of what happened. Maybe it provided a nice tidy ending to the movie for non-readers, but it just completely ruined everything about the main character in every single possible way. It also had the effect of killing any future stories since the book sequels are all based on the continuing development of that character, much of it based on what happened to her at the very end of that first book. When I saw it, I couldn’t believe they did it.

That’s basically how Lynch’s Dune movie was.

The other problem is the scope of the story. It is extremely difficult to pack in the scope of these stories into a few hours of visual storytelling. For some reason I never could get through reading the LOTR books. The movies I thought were OK, but I didn’t really get them either, at first. Then we sat down and watched through the entire extended edition. I got it then. All that extra time to develop all the characters and sub stories made the difference.

That type of effort would be the eternal dream for Dune. With the movie technology of today they can easily handle the parts that Lynch didn’t want to deal with. Excellent one on one martial arts fighting combined with epic LOTR style battle scenes, they can crank those out no problem. But it would take at least the effort of Jackson’s entire extended LOTR to do the Dune trilogy in the way it deserves. Something like that would be awesome. If they did it right, they could milk he franchise for a long series of money-making sequels and prequels, the stories are all there. I don’t know if it will really work though, as far as box office. The somewhat philosophical nature of much of the story is not as tidy as the Marvel heroes fighting mean bad guys who want to destroy the universe. Is it possible to find the balance between the general moviegoing audience and the Dune book nerds?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

but no way they're better than the books.

Video and sound will always trump words and imagination for me anyway. I had a buddy try to tell me a while back Hannibal the book is better than the film. Horseshit, watching Ray Liotta eat a piece of his own brain vs some sentences about it, come on.
    8e62f5d18a42c5bcbd80ac73217cebdf (resized).jpg8e62f5d18a42c5bcbd80ac73217cebdf (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #45 4 years ago

All right Dune nerds, and non-nerds. We are getting closer. Still no trailer though. When the first trailer hits the hype will really begin. Most of the fan stuff on Youtube sucks.

To juice things up, here is my brief analysis of the cast for the major characters. Read, then comment. OR fight!!

Paul Atreides - Timothee Chalamat. Don't know him at all, judgement reserved. Not sure he looks like what I would think of Paul, but possibly will be OK. No way to tell for me right now.

Lady Jessica - Rebecca Ferguson. Don't know her at all, judgment reserved. Seems to reasonably look the part.

Duke Atreides - Oscar Isaac. Seems a bit young for the role. Should be OK I guess.

Duncan Idaho - Jason Momoa. I think its good. Idaho is a huge major character throughout the entire Dune series so he is of big importance if it continues past one movie. He is a bad-ass, women love him, and has a bit of a sense of humor, but needs to be very introspective as well because of everything that happens to him. We'll see if Momoa can pull it off. I do like him but he has been given a lot of crap roles, like Aquaman.

Gurney Halleck - Josh Brolin. That should work. Never seen Brolin do anything that wasn't great.

Mentant Hawat - Stephen Henderson. Haven't seen his work, his look seems to fit the part.

Baron Harkonnen - Stellan Skarsgard. He doesn't seem evil enough. He seems too old, he is a contemporary counterpart to Duke Atreides but there is a big age difference between him and Oscar Isaac. The Baron is a pretty important character if you continue the story onward through multiple books. At this point, I wonder about this one.

Beast Rabban - Dave Bautista. Yes. If you read the books and you are reading about the beast, what is the image that pops into your head? Dave Bautista, that's what. Spot on.

Stilgar - Javier Bardem. That's an interesting choice. I know him mainly from No Country For Old Men. He was creepy badass in that movie. I think of him as playing an evil person because of that which Stigar is not. But he is an excellent actor so this should work.

Chani - Zendaya. Saw her in Spiderman movies. Should be good here.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Duke Atreides - Oscar Isaac. Seems a bit young for the role. Should be OK I guess.

Agreed too young. Plus I'm done with that dude, please Hollywood stop forcing him on us.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

All right Dune nerds, and non-nerds. We are getting closer. Still no trailer though. When the first trailer hits the hype will really begin. Most of the fan stuff on Youtube sucks.
    To juice things up, here is my brief analysis of the cast for the major characters. Read, then comment. OR fight!!
    Paul Atreides - Timothee Chalamat. Don't know him at all, judgement reserved. Not sure he looks like what I would think of Paul, but possibly will be OK. No way to tell for me right now.
    Lady Jessica - Rebecca Ferguson. Don't know her at all, judgment reserved. Seems to reasonably look the part.
    Duncan Idaho - Jason Momoa. I think its good. Idaho is a huge major character throughout the entire Dune series so he is of big importance if it continues past one movie. He is a bad-ass, women love him, and has a bit of a sense of humor, but needs to be very introspective as well because of everything that happens to him. We'll see if Momoa can pull it off. I do like him but he has been given a lot of crap roles, like Aquaman.
    Gurney Halleck - Josh Brolin. That should work. Never seen Brolin do anything that wasn't great.
    Mentant Hawat - Stephen Henderson. Haven't seen his work, his look seems to fit the part.
    Baron Harkonnen - Stellan Skarsgard. He doesn't seem evil enough. He seems too old, he is a contemporary counterpart to Duke Atreides but there is a big age difference between him and Oscar Isaac. The Baron is a pretty important character if you continue the story onward through multiple books. At this point, I wonder about this one.
    Beast Rabban - Dave Bautista. Yes. If you read the books and you are reading about the beast, what is the image that pops into your head? Dave Bautista, that's what. Spot on.
    Stilgar - Javier Bardem. That's an interesting choice. I know him mainly from No Country For Old Men. He was creepy badass in that movie. I think of him as playing an evil person because of that which Stigar is not. But he is an excellent actor so this should work.
    Chani - Zendaya. Saw her in Spiderman movies. Should be good here.

Javier Bardem is a great choice for Stilgar. He's just a little ..off which would suit the Fremen role, and he's a super nice, deep (philosophical? that may be a bit much) guy who sinks into an role. IF you saw the awful Pirates of the Caribbean 5, he's one of the only good things in it, and he OWNS that character. Dude, he's in Skyfall!

Love your description of Batista as Rabban. Yep.

I agree on Baron H. I cant' recall how he's described in the books (besides 'evil') but I'll always picture Kenneth McMillan. Maybe Skarsgaard in a fat suit? LOL

Rebecca Ferguson - she's in the recent Mission Impossible movies, but I really remember her from "The Kid Who Would Be King" which we saw last year. Yeah. She'll nail it.

I have NO idea how they came up with Momoa for Duncan, but for the way he's always come off to me - like the best friend/drinking buddy of Paul, that is good casting. Plus when he (SPOILER!!!) dies... *everybody* is going to be upset.

The only one I DON'T get at all, is this "Timothee Chalamat" kid. Hopefully he knocks it out the park. But he looks like a One Direction boy band guy to me.

#48 4 years ago

I think Timothee Chalamet is a great choice for Paul Atreides. Only seen him in Call Me By Your Name, but I feel like he would do a good job. Only time will tell though.

Also, Dune pin is definitely a dream theme, but I don't realistically see it happening.

6 months later
    #49 3 years ago

Okay, no more fan-made bs. Here is the first real deal official trailer. Is it pinworthy?

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Okay, no more fan-made bs. Here is the first real deal official trailer. Is it pinworthy?

So, so, so pinworthy. And did you hear the Floyd playing toward the end?

Fear is the mind-killer. Need it now.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-hype-dune-pinball-hype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.