Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by HobbyGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFDF9066-F910-43C2-B155-1A4D27E63492 (resized).jpeg
    5E85D38A-5246-4659-BED8-4949A50D4C92 (resized).jpeg
    the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man (resized).png
    Mall Rats Fly fat ass (resized).jpeg
    dune 1984 pg2 (resized).jpg
    dune 1984 pg1 (resized).jpg
    8707435 (resized).jpg
    Cymek (resized).jpg
    weapon of choice (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 2 years ago

Dune is like Lord of the Rings dense, not a book for someone who’s not going to really dive into it and work for it. And who wants to work for something that’s supposed to be fun?
    I dig the Lynch movie, but it helps if you’ve read the book. Sounds like this is the same.

If you’re still the slightest bit interested in the story, check out the sciFi channel version that came out around 2000. Certainly lesser in the special effects department but they made
    Some good decisions to change minor things for adapting the story to a visual medium. Poor Denis, he may never get his part 2.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

It is exactly like the Lynch movie but way slower and music isn't as good. What is even more amazing is the character development is worse than the Lynch version..It's crazy that they only dragged out the scenes and developed the characters less...Completely baffling..lol

Oh my god. The music in the Lynch version is one of the best things about it! That is totally insane. And I thought Villenueve did a great job with Blade Runner.

Just looked up who wrote Dune: Jon Spaihts. That says it all right there. He wrote "Prometheus". I'm out.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

Dune, AKA 3 4-page Knife Fights of Consequence and a Whole Lotta Not Much Else

Ok that made me laugh. There is definitely a LOT of inner monologuing. And knife fights. Guess what? Herbert is a huge influence on George R R Martin! SHOCKER!

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Haha, doesn’t this sound like pinball?
    Work to learn rule sets, work to pay crazy prices for a pin, dedicate rooms/basements to pinball, move machines in and out of collections, go to tournaments etc etc.
    Pinball is work.

LOL! Ok you got me there

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I am struggling with the writing style. Since it is considered a masterpiece I was expecting it to be more crisp and well paced. I can follow the story, but for me, it hasn't turned into a real page-turner.

Remember it was written in the early 60s and published only a few years later. It’s not a 2021-era focus group AI masterpiece ever read A Song of Fire and Ice? THATS slow

#42 2 years ago

I forgot to ask how the OP saw the movie? Is there a Houston area film festival it was showing at? The reviews I’ve seen have been pretty positive - mostly European writers so likely not just studio shills.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Well, my prick ex-felon-probably-still-a-felon-just-not-arrested-again-yet brother texted me a photo of him watching a pirated version yesterday, so they're out there. Movie's been out for a while outside the US...

checking... Yep... you are absolutely correct.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Didn't Herbert say at one point he thought the book was unadaptable? Either way, the reviews seem to be polarizing. Audiences either loved it or hated it. I'll let y'all know on Friday what I thought. Going to see it on the big screen at the local IMAX Thursday night.

It wasn’t Herbert who said that, it was “Hollywood”, which I think if frickin Gerald’s Game can be adapted into a kick ass movie, Dune should be pretty damn easy.

But that said - it probably shouldn’t be a movie. It should be a sprawling Game of Thrones epic. Fortunately or Un, it is vastly more political and more about protest than about action, which is a weird mix for the MCU-molded audience. .. and I LOVE the MCU, but it is not the same at all. This is actual brainy Science Fiction (er, mostly…) with all the intrigue and backstabbing of GoT. Crap, GoT kinda owes a LOOOT to Dune.

#54 2 years ago

All right, I caved - we watched it last night, and I'll probably watch it again on HBO or possibly in the theater if I can get my wife on board. (long shot)

So the look, atmosphere, 'feel', aesthetic of the movie is OMG spot on. Absolutely magic. Everything is huge, and super detailed, and feels very 70s scifi book cover all over. The ornithopters actually have wings! Awesome design. Just everything. There's no "weirding modules" thank goodness. I don't recall any specific references to the Weirding Way, so TBD on that point I guess. I can't say enough about the whole 'lived in' feel of the universe. There are so many amazing shots in the movie, it just pulls you right in.

That said - much, muuuuuuch of the film owes a ton to the Lynch version. I love that version despite all its flaws, but overall I felt like this film made a lot of the exact same mistakes. They did make the decision to slow down the story, and try to set the stage at a slower pace so you could more thoroughly take it all in. That worked, I felt. However, it has the ultimate effect of making the film sloooooooooow. Don't go in expecting action, action action - this does hold true to the book in all the political intrigue; slightly less hit-you-over-the-head than A Song of Ice and Fire, but also less detailed (I mean, it's a movie, not a 500 page book). I kept thinking "this is what the Phantom Menace was trying to be," with all the political machinations going on. That stuff worked much better in this film.

There are 3 fight scenes I can think of, which were all fine. I was a little disappointed with Gurney and Paul's training scene, I just love the special effects in the Lynch one, which were toned quite down. There is one particularly AAAAAMAZZING huge battle scene. That was just so well done. The Harkonnens are given very limited screen time, which I thought was smart - it makes them a little mysterious and sinister.

All in all, I thought it was actually pretty good - However: My wife hasn't read the book, and hadn't followed any of the marketing. Like Ted (and I bet the vast majority of the audience), She didnt' realize that it was a "Part 1", and she was kinda pissed when the movie JUST ENDS. Almost in the middle of a scene, too.

I realized how incredibly brilliant Peter Jackson and crew were when they pulled together the structure of LOTR to those 3 films and made decisions about changing where certain scenes landed in order to serve the film. Great decisions.

So I REALLY enjoyed this movie - but I'm a big fan of the series, and I think there is a miniscule chance this makes enough money to warrant a part 2. I think the filmmakers had blinders on trying to be so true to the book that they forgot to make a compelling film. I'll rewatch it again and reevaluate.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Well then I wouldn't expect a part 2 if money is the object. This movie isn't for the masses. BladeRunner 2049 was a masterpiece on all levels and look what happened.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/02/14/box-office-dune-must-avoid-the-mistakes-that-doomed-blade-runner-2049/

Dune had approximately the same budget, around $165 (not including marketing) - and it's already made over $100 million - not including the US - and NOT including HBO Max. So maybe there's a chance after all.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

That seems low for a film of this magnitude. Maybe it was an experiment to see if they could produce a blockbuster on a budget. DUNE is a pretty well-known property too. One thing's for sure, it's definitely being talked about. Not every movie gets its own thread here, and it seems to come up regularly in conversation, but maybe I just have nerdy friends.

It's slightly on the lower end, but still a big studio budget; almost all of the marvel movies have a 25% larger budget - but they're THE most proven franchise out there right now. I will say that it's clear they went to actual locations in Dune, and enhanced some with matte work or CGI - the movie is all the better for it.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is looking grim so far, while I somewhere realize that fear is the mind killer, I fear major disappointment.
    Note somewhat mild spoilers follow, but really would only apply if you haven't read the book.
    It should be explicitly covered in the first half of the story about the extent of Paul's training. If that has not been made obvious, that would seem odd. A very bad omission.
    The actual term weirding way wouldn't show up until the scene with Jamis, as that was what the Fremen labeled it. However, again it should be very obvious by that point exactly what that is and how that power is employed by the witches. If that is not clear, that's...not good.
    The whole idea of knife fighting and the shields should be very clearly understood by that point. The way shields work is critical to the whole Dune universe. Also, I would hope that the actual visual effect of the shields would be something cool. That is something that could be imagined for film. The first movie made a decent effort of it, limited as they were the the technology of the time. If the knife fights are not cool, tense, and awesome that is going to be a disappointment.
    Oh man I am starting to sweat. I don't want to be disappointed by a movie yet again.

The movie cuts off right about when Paul and Jessica get to the main sietch. And I mean CUTS. OFF. The Paul/Gurney fight is basically identical to the Lynch film, and they sufficiently show how the shields work without forcing it down your throat. Same line, even - we'd have joined each other in death, the slow blade, etc.

It's super obvious what "the way" is, don't worry And no sonic blaster thingies

Thinking about it again today I really liked it, it IS very faithful to the book, although IMO this may be what tanks it to a general audience.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

Villeneuve himself said that watching Dune on HBO was like testing your race boat in a bath tub. I will also watch on Imax like someone suggested. Watched 2049 at home and on Imax. Cannot even compare, I just loved the cinematography.

totally agree, and I watched it at home - the shots are just incredible, and I love how a lot of it is actual REAL places - like the original Star Wars (Yavin base, etc) - you can tell how Imax would just blow your mind

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

If I remember right, that's Agamemnon and Erasmus in that pic.

Honestly the gender of that character never mattered one whit, IMO.

LOL I didn't even notice that! Haha, I guess it really didn't matter

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I mean the biggest plot point involving Liet's gender specifically is that <someone> is his <relative>. That's about it.

Not even going to be a thing until part 2 anyway!

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Oh believe me I am definitely on your side. I would never gender swap any character. I have heard that was a studio requirement to Villeneuve, which would make sense. Not sure why that's any more or less significant than the original . My point was at least it didn't detract from the emersion of the film, which it has done for me often with other films.

dude, spoilers.

It was Villeneuve's specific choice, not the studio. He just wanted the best actor for each role, and he thought it made sense to make the change. As you guys have pointed out, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is the problem, as far as hitting big box office. For the vast majority of the people who go who haven't read the book, will they get it? Will they care? This is not Star Wars, Empire BAD, Rebels GOOD, Darth Vader BAD, Luke Skywalker GOOD, pew pew, pew pew, single-pilot fighting space ships that can fly between planets. Its a complicated morass and while there is good vs evil, the lines can get pretty gray.
    I can still remember sitting in the theater in 1984 for opening day of Dune, and perusing this handout that everyone was given with their ticket stub. I didn't need it, but as I was looking at it then, I was thinking, who in the heck would want to sit here and try to decipher all of this??
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I generally agree - however the Lord of the Rings had a similar problem, and people figured that out. Hell, Star Wars did have a bit of explaining to do in the first film (yeah I know, there's the crawl..). They told a similar story in Phantom Menace which... ok that's not helping my point.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

And this film deleted the background narration the 84 film had....People walking in and seeing this movie without knowing the story have virtually zero chance of grasping this film. And being even slower than the 1984 version there is going to be sleeping people in this movie. lol

Even after seeing the 1984 version 20+ times, I still can't pay attention to that opening narration. I'm not sure the movie benefits from it - they took a lot of that exposition and spread it out in the first 15/20 minutes of the movie, which I think worked way better.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Amazing. Been waiting a long time for an experience like this. Counting the days to part 2.

You’ll be counting for a long time - the 2nd movie isn’t greenlit yet. Even if they started filming today, it would not be in theaters for 2 full years. So hopefully they get on the ball ASAP!

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

Loved it!
    Is by far my favorite film in the Tremors franchise. (Dare I say…even better than Tremors 5:Bloodlines)
    Only a visionary like Villeneuve has the talent and confidence to completely reinvent a tired 80s b movie franchise and take it into a completely new and bold direction. Gonna be hard to rewatch Tremors after seeing this incredible prequel.
    Well done to all involved.
    Just a shame we didn’t get a Kevin Bacon cameo (holding out hope that he will be in part 2)

Would have been funnier if you referenced the old one since the worms in the new one look like Sarlaacs. Did you watch the 2021 Version?

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I thought (hoped) they filmed both parts at the same time. But I just read (see below) this! If I knew we might have to wait a year or two for Part 2, I never would have gone. I prefer to wait and watch one after the other. Inefficient way of doing things. You have your cast and crew together (what if a main actor gets injured or killed?)....either get the go-ahead for both parts, or forget it! JMO
    Warner Bros. has not yet greenlit Dune: Part Two. It is odd for the studio and director Denis Villeneuve to include “Part One” in the title of the first Dune when a sequel has not yet been confirmed. In an interview with Inverse, Villeneuve said that he’s “standing with one foot in the air, waiting for the permission to make Part Two.”
    It seems like the studio will wait to see how Dune: Part One performs at the box office, and what streaming ratings it will bring in from HBO Max. There is also concern that its same-day streaming debut might hurt Dune’s performance at the box office and might sway Warner Bros. away from making a Dune sequel.
    The weeks following Dune: Part One’s release will be critical in determining what’s next for this potential sci-fi movie franchise.

Could not agree more. But Warner Bros has of late not been very smart with their .. well, anything. They are determined to drive their billion dollar DC franchise into the ground, so why not just save time and kill a nascent franchise in the womb!

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

Yes. Started watching it yesterday at 4 in the morning. Sucked me in enough where I had to call in work that was gonna be a hour later. Boss asked why… wasn’t ashamed at all to tell him I had to finish Dune : ) had to hear good natured shit from my co workers but guess that was to be expected. My co workers are MCU die hards after all. Not exactly the Dune demographics

Ha! Very cool actually

#155 2 years ago

Looks like a $40 million opening, which is the biggest WB opening since COVID started. Not sure if that translates directly to a sequel, but it's the best possible result. I think it had already made $100 million overseas, not including China, if I'm not mistaken. So they are well on their way. Not sure how much HBO pitched in, or how the accounting works on that.

#180 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I know toto did all but one song on the 82 soundtrack. It was a Brian eno song that was not Toto.
    It is their only soundtrack I think.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(soundtrack)

Their only soundtrack, but they played on a LOOOOOOOOT of other records in the 80s, many you'd never know. One... you may have heard of called "Thriller"

#194 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Written in MS-DOS… smh. No.

LOL. It does make an interesting point about him not being able to go over 40 pages, so when he hits that limit, he knows he can tighten it up. The article also mentions that GRRM writes all of the Song of Ice & Fire books in frickin' WORDSTAR

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Agree to disagree. If you want to hold the reins, you have the responsibility for the final product.
    I don't know if Lynch made a better adaptation of the book or not. I really need to re-read it before I settle on a final judgement of this new movie. I do know that Lynch made a more ENTERTAINING and visually compelling world that made sense in the themes of the book.
    At any rate....part 2's been greenlit.

Respectfully, in all but a few cases, the producer is the final say. Almost no directors have what’s called “final cut”. The buck stops with the producer, who is responsible for financing, the budget, the final product, etc. if something is really bad they have a responsibility to tell the director.

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Okay, fine. Then we're in agreement that Oscar Issac was handicapped then.
    Awesome.

LOL

#211 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

lol . love this part from that article you quoted .... . So a Sandworm shits itself ,eats itself ,and reproduces itself in an odd way . Grand pa Logic , I Got lectrolights !

Here’s an alternative explanation from the Dune wiki:

“It was created in a process whereby the fungal excretions of sandtrout would mix with water to form a pre-spice mass. This mass would then be brought to the surface of the desert through an explosion of pressure, and under the intense heat and air of Arrakis, melange would form. When the worms died, sandtrout would be released into the sand, and the cycle of creation would repeat.”

#238 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is a great review, I am still laughing and this may be more entertaining than the movie. You should be a professional movie reviewer.
    I will note that the main character is not too young for the part, he is very young in the book. But the rest is spot on.

I'm not going to get on anybody's case just because they didn't like a movie, but WTF is a twink?

#240 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It's a homophobic slur against attractive guys that are teenage-twenty something. Basically saying if your young and good looking you must be gay, with negative connotation. Well to be fair people do use it in a positive way so that could have been the context he was using it. It is short for twinkie, a snack, something you would like to take a bite out of. Its all in the delivery.

Yeah I wasn't getting that warm and fuzzy vibe from that review in general. Oy vey

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-2021-?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.