Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by HobbyGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFDF9066-F910-43C2-B155-1A4D27E63492 (resized).jpeg
    5E85D38A-5246-4659-BED8-4949A50D4C92 (resized).jpeg
    the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man (resized).png
    Mall Rats Fly fat ass (resized).jpeg
    dune 1984 pg2 (resized).jpg
    dune 1984 pg1 (resized).jpg
    8707435 (resized).jpg
    Cymek (resized).jpg
    weapon of choice (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 2 years ago

I watched it last night. I'm very familiar with Lynch's movie, the books, etc.

I loved it!

IMO I think it's the best version of Dune put to celluloid. The world design, the costumes, the music...Villeneuve has proven again (like he did with Blade Runner) that he knows how to pull off complex material like this in an engaging way......for that small devoted portion of the audience.

Like Blade Runner, I feel that the majority of the audience is going to fall asleep by the end of the movie. God help you if you are walking into this movie blind with no knowledge of books, or just a general love of Science Fiction. American audiences are generally dumbed-down & expect non-stop action. This movie will fly right over their heads.

The movie doesn't dive into great detail explaining the backstory of Dune lore either. Everything is there, but it's just not explained. Which was probably by design, as they just focused on the large principles. For example the Mentats: Very cool...their eyes gloss over white when calculating. But this is never explained. Or the fact that Mentats have evolved because computers are outlawed. Which explains why all the ship cockpits have switches & levers for a movie set in the year 10191. If you know the lore it's awesome. The general audience will miss these subtleties entirely.

I just don't understand why producers/directors insist on making Dune movies. The dense material is better suited to a long running television series on HBO or Netflix, when a slow pace & backstory deep dive would be beneficial for viewers & the overall story.

But Villeneuve's Dune is what we got, and it scratched all the right places for me. I hope that Part 2 gets made, but with the dual digital/box office release, long runtime & a slow pace that will turn off many viewers, I doubt it will happen. I think the box office numbers are going to be a disappointment, just like Blade Runner.

Sure would have been nice to see Jodorowsky's version of Dune. If you loved this version, check out that Jodorowsky documentary

#193 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Exactly this. Like there's one specific scene where GIVEN THE CHANCE I do believe Oscar Issac could've done a much better job with his part, but the poor guy was kneecapped by flat writing and focus was directed AWAY from him. Just stupid choices.

Oscar Issac doesn't need to be kneecapped to have a poor performance. I swear I was so impressed with his breakout role in Inside Llewyn Davis. Then I've never seen an actor lose his luster so quickly. He picks terrible roles, then provides flat or one-dimensional performances. Either in indy films that no one remembers, or big blockbusters like Star Wars that are just as forgettable. Another flat performance in Dune. Can't always be the directors or writers fault. I'm just not a fan anymore.

I also rewatched 1984 Dune again. I think there's a legitimate argument to say that Lynch handled the material & the characters better than the new version. They're both all good in my opinion tho.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dune-movie-2021-?tu=HoakyPoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.